Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • full sus back to hard tail, any one done it loved it / regreted it
  • milkyman
    Free Member

My rear swing arm has snapped on my spicy 516 and its being replaced, and whilst I was in the shop got chatting to one of the lads who let me go for a spin on his trek stash 29er, It was strange with not even a hint of bounce and was surprised how much it hurt my arse in a short time, but it felt so good that every pedal just seem to equate to speed, so now I am thinking of going back to h/t but not overly sure, also my bike is out of warranty soon and the trek came with a life time warranty on the frame decisions, decisions

so any one done it, your thoughts please

honourablegeorge

Depends on your riding – if your riding warranted a 160mm bike, then a HT 29er will be quite an adjustment. Maybe you’re a good enough rider to hit the same stuff without suspension, in which case go for it. Or maybe you didn’t really need a 160mm bike, in which case go for it.

I love riding my hardtail, but for the trails I enjoy the most, a 160 bike is the right tool for the job (for me). There’s no black and white answer to your question really, other than “keep the Spicy and buy the hardtail”.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I had a FS (Specialized Enduro), didn’t like it, back to hard tails.

There’s so much of a disconnect when riding a full sus. I missed the direct reward of riding on your own merits without 5″ of airsprung trail monkey looking after you when you ride beyond your limits.

Don’t get me wrong, if I was a rich man, I’d have an AM/DH bike in the garage; it’d still be the hard tail I automatically reached for though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Had a spesh pitch which I ABSOLUTELY LOVED. Built up a surge as a play bike on the side.

3 months later I sold the pitch.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have 2 FS bikes, an HT and a rigid.
    There is no ‘best’ bike. There is a ‘best bike for this trail today bike’ but which one that is varies.
    As someone said above, if a 160mm fs was right for your riding and HT probably won’t be, but if you were overbiked before then maybe you’ll be fine. I would rather be overbiked than underbiked, although having said that a rigid SS is good laugh in the snow in the peaks,where it was probably unsuitable. My mate on a 575 was faster but I had more fun.

stevede
    Free Member

I went from an enduro 2011 and a camber to a dh bike and a ti slackline, give them both a good hammering, the slackline takes it all, been to gawton on it and rode everything there, raced dh on it, hit the jumpy lines up at my local on it but also ride a lot of Xc and its great for that too with a more appropriate set of tyres fitted. Depends on your riding style I suppose, it’s about staying off the brakes and using your body more rather than letting the bike do everything. Only you can say honestly if its a good move or not.

thejesmonddingo

I swopped a Remedy for a Whyte 905 frame,which I built up wth full XT,Revs at 130mm and Avid Elixir CR mags,it’s a lovely bike and I’ve done the peaks etc no probs,but my back and my arse are starting to complain a little,so I think I’m going to get an FTM,and swop bits over.

zippykona

I went from suss 26 to a 29 hardtail. Loved it but my knees need full suss, so now on a 29 full suss.
    There’s one really rooty,rutty bit on my way to work that I just love blasting my way through on my bouncer.
    My hard tail days are well and truly over.

mogrim

I did, albeit a long time ago and FS technology has moved on since… I’d say if you’re mainly doing downhill stuff, don’t do it. I do lots of XC and I don’t miss a FS particularly, but the odd time I’ve gone for a ride with a more DH-orientated mate I’d be left a long way behind. (Part of that is lack of skill/balls on my part, but a skill-compensator would have helped!)

If you do go back to a HT get tubeless tyres, on a FS you get used to hammering over stuff, and that’s just a recipe for pinch flats on a HT.

thejesmonddingo

Tbh I’d have both if I had the money,probs a 100-120mm HT and a 130-140mm full sus.

zippykona

Must admit Mike Hall is making me feel like bit of a Jessie now though!

khani
    Free Member

This might sound outrageous, but.. Both!!! N+1 n’all that…

jambalaya
    Free Member

I bought a BFe to compliment my Reign but loved it so much stopped riding the Reign. TBH the Reign wasn’t really the right bike for my riding which is a mix of XC and Surrey Hills trails, the BFe with 150/120 adjustable forks can handle everything I can and gives me the sense it just wants to go-go-go.. I have switched the Reign frame for a Covert for my Alps/”bigger stuff” bike. I have ridden both bikes in Surrey Hills and PEaks and it’s hard to say which I like the best, the BFe skips around a bit more but that makes it more interesting to ride. I had a concern about BFe being harsh given what’s said on here in the past and with my old Hardrock in mind but it’s proven perfectly comfortable on all day rides.

If I had to choose only one bike it would be a difficult decision, I would probably go Covert only so I could be comfortable on my Alps holiday

warpcow
    Free Member

Had a Heckler. Then I bought an Evil Sovereign and sold the Heckler about 6 months later. The Sovereign isn’t as fast when it comes to just charging through stuff, but it’s just so damned versatile. It’ll happily do a bit of everything, which is all I could ask of it.

But… I now have enough spares kicking around that it’d be a shame not to put them to some use. Some kind of lightish, shorter-travel FS lies in my future. I’d never sell the Sov though.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Funnyily enough i was just dusting off the old giant trance full sus and wondering if i would ride it again. I pretty much do everything with the Dialled Bikes Morning Glory now, it’s versatile and light. I’d have to spend a small fortune to get a full susser anywhere near as light, and I mainly ride xc anyhow. My knees will probably give out before the morning glory…

milkyman
    Free Member

I think what has got me thinking is I have had a few probs with the spicy, 1st main frame snapped 8 months ago which was replace, now swing arm, and I have lost a bit of confidence in the brand, I was only thinking and I hope I don’t make a snap / rash decision, I just want something simple low mataince, can put a bottle cage on strap my pump to the frame and be of, I’m not a big fan of back packs to be honest

Cheezpleez

I am a hardtail fanboi. I’ve has full sus bikes and still have one for Alps,etc but they take the edge off local riding for me. I like that direct connection with the trail and direct transfer of leg input you get from a hardtail.

I dare say if I lived somewhere rocky the equation would be different.

Everybody *needs* at least two bikes.

aP
    Free Member

I’ve just built up one of the last aluminium Yeti ARC frames. Out tomorrow.
    And the sun will be shining 8)

binners

Since I got my P7 last year, my Intense bouncy thing has rarely seem the light of day. I’m out on the hardtail all the time. I love it! When I do get the full susser out it feels like riding a sofa!

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have both, when I go to the shed it’s the HT that falls into my hands. The FS is comparatively more capable, faster, and a bit sluggish and boring.

Caveat: where I live and ride is not rocky.

Ideally you want one of each (and a rigid SS too).

takisawa2

Went from 26″ FS to 29″ HT.
    FS was sold off. Built another for the summer but it’s been out twice. Much prefer my 29er.

mtbfix

Just rebuilt my 26 FS after a couple of months on the 29 HT. it might lack the immediacy of the rigid frame but the FS feels faster and is more comfortable overall.

FOG

In a rush of blood to the head I bought a HT after 5 years on FS but to use as a second bike. For 6 months I rode mainly the HT and seriously thought about selling the FS. However I gradually started riding the FS more and more until I only use the HT for round town. I think I need a skill compensator and FS does a better job.

nickc

Never really ‘got’ FS, never sure about best type of suss platform to get, always faffing about with the shock, and the bearings, and the bushes, and trying to dial in settings seemed like too much like hard work to me…had some nice ones as well, a Foes and a Nicolai, but always had a HT, Inbreds, and a Hummer. then got bored of maintaining a few bikes (had a fleet of 5 at one point), some of which only saw 2/3 weeks of riding a year, so sold all of them and got a Chameleon. Wish I done it sooner TBH.

Hardtails keep you honest.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Ht to fs years back then upgraded and ended up having enough bits to make a spare “parts bin” bike. Bought an Inbred frame and build it with the worn out bits. Had and the FS rarely got a look in.

Now both bikes have developed to an Enduro pretty much only gets ridden o Alp type holidays and uplift days and a 456ti.

I love the hard tail. The flip side is on Alp type holidays, it takes me a few rides to get the Enduro up to speed as I’m still trying to pick hardtail lines.

johnj2000
    Free Member

I just spent a day on the South Downs with my Whippet which just has 100mm front suss. My arms,wrists, and back were knackered but my lord does it climb easier than my Rocket. It feels quick and fun, but it will not replace the Rocket unless I am going out for 40+ miles with hills.

Gribs

I have a ht as a spare bike for when the fs is broken or to lend to mates and to remind me that all the extra hassle that goes along with fs is worthwhile. A road bike is a better addition as that makes hills feel like much less effort.

ScotlandTheScared

I got rid of my fs after 2 years. That was 5 years ago and apart from the occasional flirtation with the idea of getting one again, I have never looked back. Just bought another hardtail in fact.

matther01
    Free Member

Bought a Soul frame originally to swap parts from my Ex8 and use it 6 months of the year. Ended up building a complete bike and now have FS and HT 😀

Been riding the Soul since Feb and its an incredible bike….really puts you in tune with the trail. However, been back on the FS the last couple of weeks, and the ‘back to basics’ on the HT seems to really have paid off…much better at picking lines, out of the seat more etc.

If you have the money,time and space I’d have both.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Sold my Nicolai 26 FS and put the funds towards the QH,
    Still have a FS in 29, I just ride what I fancy be it rigid , HT or FS, its all riding innit

z1ppy

I bought a 29er HT due to last years crap weather, it is ace in rubbish conditions & there no advantage in being a on a FS. Once the ground dried up, the 26er FS came back out, as it’s so much more fun in the dry.
    Only issue is, do I ‘need’ a 29er FS now?
    The 29er HT’s a ‘keeper’, but so is ‘a’ FS, for me.

roverpig

I’ve been comparing my 29er HT (Kinesis FF29) with my 26″ Full Suss (Giant Trance) and as with so many things in cycling, it seems to be swings and roundabouts. There are things about each bike that I love and times when each bikes seems to be the absolutely perfect choice. But there are also times, often on the same ride, when it is quite definitely not.

The HT has that wonderfully efficient feeling. On a long or steep but not too technical climb it is amazing. I’ve ridden up climbs that I’ve never come close to getting up on the full suss. But I’ve also failed to get up some more technical climbs that I can do on the full suss, simply because I got knocked off line.

Similarly, on the way down, if there is a smooth(ish) line that can be taken the HT can be huge fun. Being less isolated from the trail allows you to really feel the line and put the bike where you want. But when there is no smooth line things can get unpleasant. I’ve found myself just wishing for the descent to end in some cases where I know that I’d just be blasting down with a grin on my face on the full suss.

There are lots of other pros and cons of each bike, but with most of the others it’s hard to tell whether it is the lack of suspension, the different wheel size or the different geometry that is making the difference.

In general (and for me) I think the HT favours shorter more active rides or longer rides with a large amount of non-technical riding (roads, forest tracks etc). If I can keep attacking the trail and stay on top of it then it is great fun, but once I get tired I can quickly get fed up of being knocked about all over the show.

Northwind

I like having both but if I could only have one it’d not be a hardtail. That depends so much on your riding, your approach etc, I can ride absolutely everything I do on my hardtail but sometimes it’s really not the right tool for the job.

shifter
    Free Member

Did it. Loved it. Still went back to full suss.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Both.

Currently, the 20sp FS is out and it’s all goggle-eyed warps speeds, steeps, tech, big days out and DH tracks. It has to be, as the normal XC trails at normal speeds are just tedious on it.

But for a low speed bimble in the woods, smooth trail centres, and over the wet season, you can’t beat the 9sp HT. It makes you work for flow, and that is rewarding.

duffmiver
    Free Member

surprised how much it hurt my arse in a short time, but it felt so good

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘full sus back to hard tail, any one done it loved it / regreted it’ is closed to new replies.