Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • full rigid 29” bike………. is there one?
  • ton

looking a for a full rigid, including rigid forks, 29er.
    with a full 3x gear set up, that is not a surly.

any ideas?

tomhoward

Get a fat bike and swap the wheels. It’s what I did.

Not sure many new mtbs will come with 3x though?

sillyoldman

Build one from a Tarn frameset? Until ‘19 they were sold as frame/fork/headset.

Bez

I’ve got a Longitude, which ticks your boxes. (The full bike comes as a 2x, I think, but it’ll take a triple fine, I had one on mine for a bit.)

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like this one. (Scroll right)

Low enough front end for a fast short course race bike.

With a mountain of spacers comfy enough for a 24 and ITTs

Obviously set up as ss in the photo for the puffer but I stripped off the 3*9 xtr for this.

Might have trouble finding one these days as it’s a ragley td-1 which runs 29inch wheels in a 26 inch rigid fork but you could probably get away with a regular 29 inch rigid forked ridgeline.

rubymurry
    Free Member

Try a stooge

pigyn
    Free Member

Brother Cycles Big Bro, I have been riding it SS for about six months but built plenty up as geared machines.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqmb8IsFHNv/

core

Pinnacle Ramin maybe?

Singular Swift?

Salsa may offer something?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That big brother looks lovely.

It would certainly be on my radar for replacing the ragley when it dies.

nuke

Sonder Frontier…you can customise if you call them from what their website says so maybe possible to get 3x

scotroutes

A mate has just ordered a Frontier in 29er fully-rigid format.

3x is going to be a hard find though. 2x surely covers everything?

takisawa2

Second gen Puffin, if you can track one down.
    Pop an ad on the Fat bike FB forum(s)…?
    They ride really well.

ton

I actually want this to ride on the road. gonna pop some 1.5 slicks on it and use it for hilly day rides.
    my tourer feels like it is made from rubber. it is a 631 tubed thing, but it feels terrible.
    a nice ridged 29r should do the trick nicely…… thanks for the ideas so far.

PJay
    Free Member

There are plenty of off the shelf rigid 29ers but finding one with a triple might be harder with the current trend for single ring set ups and silly-wide tyres; it might be worth building something up to get it just right.

I ride a Singular Swift as a sort of gravel bike and it’s happily set up with a 3×9 drivetrain. Swifts are currently out of stock but (hopefully) should be re-appearing, as a new model (I believe that they’ll take a tapered fork), in the Spring. Slightly worryingly (IMHO) the new Pegasus that Singular are taking pre-orders on looks like it might be a single ring only frame, so hopefully the Swifts will retain their triple ring capability.

piemonster

Parts bin special?

I’ve a Kinesis FF29 with a triple and a set of ICAN Carbon forks on it. Handling can be a little exciting at times but for local riding it’s the fastest bike I have by some margin!

rOcKeTdOg

running my swift with 29 wheels and 35mm slicks

benp1

I really like the look of the big bro

Both my MTBs are rigid. Sadly the Salsa El Mariachi is discontinued and the Solaris is sold as a hardtail unless you ask for a special build

ampthill

pic

Build up a Sanderson Town Crier with a rigid fork

If you want to use narrow tyres an old 25inch wheel rigid MTB should work

Warning on the Sonder. It seems to have a weird axle length 141mm?

legometeorology
    Free Member

Ah, if you just wanna run big slicks, something Pinnacle would do, like a Lithium or this:
    https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-chromium-3-2019-hybrid-bike-EV306265

legometeorology
    Free Member

Or any decent gravelbike with a short stem (like a Kona Rove) and convert to flat bars.

epicyclo

As per trail_rat, Ragley TD-1. May also be running mine at the ‘Puffer this year.

Good luck finding one though… 🙂

You’re a big bloke, have you thought about getting something built? The likes of Shand could build you a bike that wouldn’t become a noodle for a person your size, and last you for ever.

Bez

Evans are doing the Pinnacle Chromium frameset on eBay for £220 at the moment. And the XL is actually quite large. If it was singlespeedable without a tensioner I might have had one by now…

legometeorology
    Free Member

Also, if you need a tough frame, many 650b frame will take a skinny 29er wheel. I was running a 26inch Cotic BFe with 700x42mm wheels for a while, and now have a first generation 650b Genesis high Latitude with a 29×2.0 in the back.

That probably won’t help you find a full build with triple up front though!

Oh, what about a new Cotic Roadrat?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Been looking for the same thing. Kon Unit might fit a triple?

Saw a Kona Explosif with a waltworks fork.
    An awful lot of frame only options seem to have gone to 120mm minimum forks, which makes a rigid difficult to find, unless Genesis or Marin sell the Tarn or 2016 or earlier pine mountain one separately as part.

nixie

Genesis longitude and run 29er wheels.

nixie

Just to add I’ve run mine with 29″ wheels and 38c tyres for more road orientated and with cross tyres for gravel rides.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Depending in what you are going to do with it – the Marin Muirwoods is sold as an urban bike but the tubes seem very similar to a longitude/unit. Comes with a triple. Also comes with 700×40? 42? tyres but will absolutely take a 29er Tyre. Geo is a bit steep by modern standard but it is a fun bike.

smokey_jo

My Holdsworth Stelvio frame is far from noodley, admittedly I’m on a 54 and only 13 Stone so probably not pushing it to it’s limits.

All the bosses you need, clearance for 700 x 40mm + guards, good long wheelbase and relaxed head angle. Takes 650×47 + guards too

tuboflard

Another vote for a Singular. I’ve got a Rooster fully rigid and I love it.

cobrakai

Got a longitude for winter trainer/commuter/pub bike.

Superb all rounder.

It’s 2×10 though but it covers all eventualities.

29er with maxis crossmarx 2.0. It’s pretty fast on road, averaging 24km/hr on my commute.

You could get 29er 2.8inch in there too I reckon, even bigger with 27.5.

Dickyboy

Kona Big Rove – if they still make them?

ampthill

Rose Bike Treking is flat bars and triple…….

dai3015
    Free Member

I picked up a Pinnacle Lithium 5 from Evans just before Christmas. Comes with DEore hydraulic brakes and a deore triple chainset. I use it on the road and also a bit of gravelly type riding

brassneck

Tripster AT with a flat bar?

Though I’d get a second hand Swift if I could find one.

kcal

Or a s/h Gryphon if you can find one those, too.

timmycee
    Free Member

Nordest Sardinha is very pretty.

canopy
    Free Member

man the big bro is nice.. shame its not in boost spacing (as the old singletrack review said.) as I have a wheelset already

other than that.. https://www.marinbikes.com/bike-archive/bikes/2018-pine-mountain

and swap the wheels for 29er ones?

MrTricky
    Free Member

This might be of interest…..

Complete List of 29” Drop-Bar Mountain Bikes

legometeorology
    Free Member

Sorry to rebel, but I feel like if the OP is going to go with 1.5″ slicks a lot of these suggestions are overkill…

Imagine a Pine Mountain fork with a 40mm tyre in it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘full rigid 29” bike………. is there one?’ is closed to new replies.