Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Full mudguards are….
  • zippykona

the bike equivalent of being 5 years old and splashing through puddles in your wellies.
    Yours still spotlessly clean and dry even though my commute is off road and a total filthfest.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I still struggle to understand why so many commuters, on bikes that are clearly only ever used for commuting, don’t use full length mudguards (Or any mudguards at all often).

A joy.

globalti
    Free Member

Yep. Got them on my Tricross disc; makes a big difference to my enjoyment of a wet ride and allows me to neglect the bike even more criminally.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with mudguards on a commuter. In fact, they are essential

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not for mountain bikes

deanfbm
    Free Member

I got mud guards on my MTBs, not scared.

I want to vom when i look at my bikes mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with mudguards on a commuter. In fact, they are essential

Indeed, but how often do you see AlturaMan* riding without them?

*Always on a slightly the wrong size, badly maintained hybrid, wearing a filthy, oily Altura hi-viz jacket, using the £25 Cateye light set that was the cheapest in the shop when he bought the bike and never, never changing gear!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

….. and always pushing through to the front at the lights only to move off very slowly and get in everyones way

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Deserves a new thread of rage…!

jekkyl

I want to vom when i look at my bikes mind.

your bike has a mind? cool!

Mudguards on mtb mean that you don’t get shit all up your back, I can’t see any reason not to have them, on or off road, who cares what your bike looks like, it’s not a fashion show!
    Content and function trump aesthetics every time (for me)

zippykona

I can ride that and still look like this.

Gotama
    Free Member

On a similar theme…. going to stick some slicks on my swift and use it for dad bike duties/road work in ‘orrible weather. Any recommendations for full guards given it doesn’t have the mounts?

toys19
    Free Member

I file this with over biked and wearing body armour on blue runs. IE they are all things that people sneer at despite being excellent ideas.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@zippykona – of you take your bike there it’s in the wrong place. You dont need mud guards you need to find some hard ground

weeksy

I was one of VERY few MTBs on the SPAM ride at the weekend with mudguards… I can’t say it bothered me… especially at the end.

jekkyl

@zippykona – are you a priest? you could ask the lord for the mud to spare your jacket!

tonyd

I have full guards on my commuter, wouldn’t be without them.

Now I just need some brakes and I might be able to ride it (come on TRP, pull your **** fingers out).

Dyffers
    Free Member

@Gotama

Tubus do an eye-wateringly expense QR axle adaptor kit which I would have a go at making something similar myself out of the spare box…?

Gotama
    Free Member

Dyffers thanks, hadn’t thought of that route. Was looking at the SKS raceblade XLs as a kind of half way house as they appear to clamp on the frame.

y0eddy
    Free Member

jekkyl

Mudguards on mtb mean that you don’t get shit all up your back [Snip] it’s not a fashion show!

^ This

Plus it protects your expensive dropper post and helps the washing machine last longer.

bedmaker

This thread deserves a pic of epicyclo’s Pugsley! 🙂

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’ve full guards on my commuter, and think they’re the best thing ever.
    I think this means I’m now officially old. 😀

Dickyboy

Nice one zippy, just building up an old cannondale (mudguard eyes front & rear on the frame) for the off road commute & can’t wait to get out there, although the conditions in the chilterns are more than a bit off putting at the moment

cynic-al
    Free Member

As a wrench 15+ years ago, trying to fit mudguards for the endless numpties that demoted their good road bike to winter duties (so no clearance nor mudguard eyes), I swore to use only use bikes fit for the purpose. Never regretted it.

toys19
    Free Member

Gotama loads of gurads are rubber mounted on fork and chainstay thesedays.

theflatboy
    Free Member

While we’re on this, does anyone know anywhere you can get SKS chromoplastic guards individually? I need a front one only, to replace one that broke on my Pomp. The full set isn’t that expensive, but I’d rather just get the individual one if possible…

Houns

That pugsley has just made me vomit so ferociously that I actually puked out of my nipples

zippykona

What’s that drum brake on the fatty up there?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Theflatboy – they are not available separately.

Zippy – Sturmey Archer – I run them on my road bike, I’d say they’re not quite powerful enough for my mtb riding.

jamiep
    Free Member

Gotama
    On a similar theme…. going to stick some slicks on my swift and use it for dad bike duties/road work in ‘orrible weather. Any recommendations for full guards given it doesn’t have the mounts?

p-clips. Few pound off ebay. Then use whatever guards you wish

theflatboy
    Free Member

Cheers, al. I figured, guess I’ll have to try to track down a used front only, or get the set and flog / keep the other one for spares.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Love the full guards on my commuting hybrid. But if the forecast is dry I take them off. I hate the look of them but respect what they do.
    I do have a minimal velcro on rear guard for mild drizzle or damp roads though.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve had some sks longboards on my winterbike for most of this winter and they’ve been excellent.

Mudflaps make all the difference on road bikes.

Mountain bike has crud guards and a (inner tube) neo guard.

Wouldn’t ride a bike in winter without mudguards.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Full mudguards are….’ is closed to new replies.