Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Full length mudguards for a 29er
  • tootallpaul

Right- commuting to my new job means I need to get mudguards on my Burls.

It has all the necessary fixing points, but who makes a set of guards that will accommodate a 29er tyre- I’ll be running it in touring guise, so Schwalbe Marathons – 2.0 inch width.

I’ve seen these:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a63551/bluemels-set-28-65mm-black.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb&gclid=CIK216K4rrMCFczHtAodHC0AVQ

Any alteratives?

Cheers!

P

nedrapier

You can get SKS chromoplastics in 50 and 55mm flavour

nedrapier

those look good, though, and cheap.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tootallpaul

Ned,

Can you point me to a site that sells them? I can’t find em anywhere. The 26″ ones are readily available in those widths, but not the 700.

P

nedrapier
    tootallpaul

Cheers Ned- Cyclesurgery never seem to come up when I search on Google for some reason.

The Chromoplastics are reputedly tougher than the bluemels, and probably lighter.

nedrapier

pleasure.

You might just have given me the impetus to get my chromoplastics back on the commuter this evening, so thanks to you too.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I don’t think those 55mm ones will work with a 2″ tyre under them. Mine don’t.

I have to run 40c tyres in the winter commute with mine.

midlifecrashes

These seem to be the real deal for 29ers, don’t know if there’s a UK distributor though.

Planet Bike Cascadia 29er Fenders

69er
    Free Member

Mudguards? ** shudders **

tootallpaul

Breatheeasy- that’s a shame. Was it the height of the tyre that caused the issue or the width? I wonder if the 65 mm Bluemels would work then?

I looked into the Cascadia fenders- no Uk dealer, and the shipping was astronomical.

Any more ideas?

tootallpaul

69er – better than a wet arse on a commute.

takisawa2

My Kona Ute has full guards, & will run a 2″ tyre easily. They look like Chromoplastics.
    Other place is Islabikes. They do a 29er & list full guards as an option.

tootallpaul

Shame I can’t really try out a set of Chromoplastics first…

tootallpaul
    tootallpaul

And now tempted by these…

http://squaretreecycle.tumblr.com/

MrTall
    Free Member

I run a full mudguard (rear only) on my Salsa Fargo with Big Apple 2.35″ and those are about as big as they come. It’s tight to be fair (but then that was expected as my tyres are a fair bit wider than the maximum recommended for the guards i have) but it works great and makes a massive difference in the wet.

I have the SKS ones and would certainly recommend them.

nedrapier

where are you, TTPaul?

I’m fairly sure mine are the 55s (could even be the 45s?) and I’ve had 2.0″ fat franks under them. The fat franks are admittedly on the small side, more like 42c or 44c than 48c, and you need to be a bit more careful about fitting to avoid rubbing, but they work.

tootallpaul

Mr Tall- which SKS? The chromoplastic or the bluemels?

Ta!

P

MrTall
    Free Member

Just checked my CRC order history and it was the Bluemels.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=84326

It was the 700c 53mm ones which were called ‘Trekking’ when i bought them but the measurements seem the same.

tootallpaul

Cheers MrTall,

I’ve ordered the 65mm Bluemels from Bikediscount.de.

Will report back next week.

P
    🙂

johnnystorm

Perfect thread timing. I’m after some for my soon to be arriving Fargo. 🙂

MrTall
    Free Member

Paul,

You do realise that the 65mm version are for 26″ wheels??

As far as i could tell the 53mm ones were the biggest i could find for a 29er/700c wheel. 65mm in 700c size would be perfect but i guess there’s not much call for them.

johnnystorm

Link above says 700×47-55? 29er, no?

MrTall
    Free Member

Actually it would appear so. I never clicked on the original link, just went to their website and it didn’t show that version, only the 26″ size.

I’ll wait and see what he says as if the 65mm ones are bigger than mine i might get some myself.

tootallpaul

“You do realise that the 65mm version are for 26″ wheels”

Not from Bikediscount- they do the 700 version. Only place I could find em.

And same price as CRC, so no bother really.

69er
    Free Member

tootallpaul – Member
    69er – better than a wet arse on a commute.

I have to disagree, what if someone recognises you? 😯

Still, it’s only a 40 mile round trip every day, and I’m sure it’ll stop raining soon.

kaiser
    Free Member

I have to disagree, what if someone recognises you?

not everyone is concerned about their bike being a fashion accessory 🙄

johnnystorm

Quick bit of feedback after trying to fit the 700×65 SKS Bluemels to my Fargo.

The good news is the rear fits a treat and easily accommodated the Racekings 2.0 that the Fargo came with and the Twinrail 2.2 I’m fitting. The bad news is that the front is a faff. The “crown bracket” isn’t going to be long enough for a suspension-corrected fork and the LHS struts will also require some bodging to avoid the disc calliper. The usual trick of bending the struts to take up the slack, etc wont work as there isn’t enough spare length to provide the bend and then reach the mudguard. Nothing impossible but they don’t “just fit”.

snipswhispers
    Free Member

@johnnystorm

i had a similair clearance problem with the lower mudguard struts.

hopefully a photo of my handywork will appear.

i used a couple of pieces of soft steel with holes at each end (from an old bike mount) along with some spare bolts from vee brakes.

it would be tidier with m4/5? bolts/ butterfly nuts and spring washers.

johnnystorm

I’ve just got back from a hardware store with what can be best described as “thick” meccano. Fingers crossed!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Does anyone have a current link to Fargo fit mudguards? I tried CRC and bike discount but couldn’t find owt. I’ve emailed Planet Bike, but googling suggests that postage will be high fromthe US

stevemakin
    Free Member

theres a source on ebay, charging 25 dollars postage

commander
    Free Member

McMoonter, I’ve just fitted the SKS ones from DE linked to right at the top of this page to my Fargo, the 65mm ones.

Easy job, back one is a perfect fit and the front just needed the stays on the left re-shaping and then cutting down to run from the mid-fork rack mount rather than the mudguard eye (so the stays miss the brake).

With the crown bracket I fixed it to a 1/2″ ‘L’ bracket fixed to a 1″ fork plug fixed into the bottom of the steerer.

If I think on tomorrow I’ll take and post some pictures, but they are blob on for the Fargo.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cheers Commander.

I hope to use them in conjunction with a Tubus front rack which has a separate mounting for mudguard stays well clear of the disc brake.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I ordered a set of the SKS 65mm mudguards too. The price plus delivery from Germany is still cheaper than the carriage alone for the Cascadia fenders from the US.

stevemakin
    Free Member

yup, I’ve ordered some as well for the Fargo, plus a couple of the splash guards, if they dont fit then Glenn can pay for em 😉

commander
    Free Member

I’ll send you a picture of how I did the stays Steve, if you cant get them to fit after that then I’ll have them, need a set soon for Fargo number 2…..a road and a ‘less road’ version, well you have to don’t you….

takisawa2

This thread needs Fargo pics, for no other reason than I want one. 🙂

stevemakin
    Free Member

you need a Vaya next Glenn 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Full length mudguards for a 29er’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts