• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by loum.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Full face
  • Marin
    Free Member

About time I got a new full face after few crashes few weeks ago. Real life recommendations of what your using. Bit of enduro and uplift, I don’t wear goggles so not concerned about fitting them in. Currently using a 661 been happy with it but no brand loyalty to them.

fazzini

MET Parachute. Lightweight. Comfy. I can get glasses on. Not stupidly expensive.

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Currently using a Bell Super DH which has a removable chin bar, i wanted a full face and needed to replace my trail lid at the same time so works out brilliantly for me, really comfy fairly light and lots of airflow which for me is a must as i overheat really easily.

I’ll give you one to avoid; TLD Stages, really poor finish for a TLD, makes it totally not worth the price tag.

weeksy

Bluegrass. Lovely thing and comfortable as heck. Warm, but I read it as a DH helmet not a crossover

razorrazoo

I’ll give you one to avoid; TLD Stages, really poor finish for a TLD, makes it totally not worth the price tag.

I’ll agree it’s overpriced (TLD tax) vs the finish (in particular it would be nice for the shell to overlap round the edges more) and not many offers around on them at the moment (I wouldn’t and didn’t pay full RRP), however it’s very comfy and well vented if you’re going to be riding up as well as uplift.

(Stealth Ad) I know buying used can be a bit of a risk, but I have a hardly used Giro Disciple on ebay at the moment if anyone is interested in a proper DH FF.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve just bought an IXS trigger to replace my old bell super 2r. No idea on quality, fit etc as it’s not arrived yet but that’s a typical stw forum reply for you 🤣

I’d Normally say just gets what fits correctly for you – is try before you buy, but as I’ve not done that……I’ll keep quiet.

It was in the CRC sale with an extra 10% off with a code – which I think lasts another day.

doomanic

Fox Proframe over here. Light, comfortable, sometimes available with a decent discount, like this;

https://www.helmexpress.com/uk/bicycle-store/fox-proframe-solid-downhillhelm-136078.html#67132

mark88

I’ll give you one to avoid; TLD Stages

Interesting – are you comparing it to other comparable full faces or traditional DH lids?

I’m looking for an enduro full face, a mate that works in a shop recommended the Stage despite him stocking the Fox and Specialized equivalent.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

IXS trigger FF here. Fits great, not too heavy and lots of air vents.

breadcrumb

I’ve a Bell Super 3R, not used it in warmer weather yet but very snug and comfy.

dc1988

I’ve recently got a Bell Super DH, I’ve been very impressed so far with it and have retired my other helmets as it does everything.

joepud
    Free Member

I’ll give you one to avoid; TLD Stages

I have had 3 proframes and now have a stage and honestly think its miles better. its a little less bulky than a proframe, better ventilated, lighter, and easier to wear for an all day right. Also TLD do crash replacements Fox don’t.

Comparable lids. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great looking & fitting helmet plenty airy, but the finish is really not what I was used to from TLD. I have a D3 Carbon for DH and the construction is poles part.

The stages finish, particularly the glue around the edges is poor and messy, they rubber caps that cover the buckle mounts internally are a mess. At that price point I expect far better construction quality.

And the reviews bear this out, I just wish I’d known I was getting one as a present, as I’d have advised against it.

Interesting – are you comparing it to other comparable full faces or traditional DH lids?

I’m looking for an enduro full face, a mate that works in a shop recommended the Stage despite him stocking the Fox and Specialized equivalent.

jkomo

Met parachute, seems no sweatier than my half shell.

Northwind

I love my TLD Stages, I’d get another without a doubt. I’d agree the finish is a little below TLD standards but while some of it just seems messy, other bits are a result of them going for light weight. And tbh I don’t actually care, that much, since I can’t see it when it’s on my head and being light, comfy and fantastically vented.

kimbers

Very happy with my proframe

Done some big rides in it and good balance of protection vs weight/ventilation

(crashed in it more than once)

steamtb

I have a Proframe and a TLD Stage; the Stage is brilliant, really comfy and well ventilated, it has done a huge number of miles with me and the replacement will be another Stage 🙂 I’ve honestly not noticed a problem with the finish. My daughter has a Stage and a couple of Bells, the Stage is her favourite…

ayjaydoubleyou

Endura MT500 here.
    I love the rear ratchet dial to tighten it up, I find that much nicer than my old pro frame – which incidentally I snapped dropping it on the floor.

anderzz
    Free Member

Fox proframe here. Comfortable and lightweight. Also not too hot on more pedally days.

Ideally I’d like a Smith mainline or a 100% aircraft 2. They look really nice.

teenrat

Sweet protection arbitrator. Quality convertible helmet that does everything.

Marin
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Removable chin guard not required for me really and have a TLD open face for full on peddle days which is a great helmet.
    Should have said my enduro is really peddle up hill then plummet on DH tracks, quite often hang my helmet on the bars for peddle/push bit.
    Should have asked whose got a big pie head like me and what fits best!
    Googling your suggestions now!

fazzini

Should have asked whose got a big pie head like me and what fits best!

Originally I bought a Bell Super 3R Mips – and although I liked the fact it was convertible it just never fitted well – I have quite a round head not especially big head. The larger size was too large; the smaller size was putting pressure on my temples – I actually think it was the Mips cradle when tightened up, and loosening just meant a floppy helmet (fnarr). As I’ve got a decades old MET XC helmet that has always been so comfy I thought I’d give another MET a go for full face. Worked for me. I also have a GIRO Fixture for normal stuff which fits well too.

Marin
    Free Member

Ha ha yes. I thought about just getting a 661 reset as my current one fits well and I hate going the PO to return stuff, impossible to try many full face lids on before buying locally to me, interesting to see what’s available though. Lost interest a bit in DH stuff really due to lockdown but excited about it again after week riding out in Spain. Old and slow is offf to the races again!

monkeyboyjc

it just never fitted well

My Bell super 2r never fitted particularly well – but I bought it in my lbs because they had deal on that was too good to miss. I’ve found bells never fit my head perfectly – giro are much better.

ayjaydoubleyou

My Bell super 2r never fitted particularly well

mine was great as a full face, but didn’t like the fit of the open face. Too wide/roundhead for me, without the chin bar and thus the cheekpads, it wouldn’t stay still.

Like monkeyboy, I’m also a Giro fit I think

monkeyboyjc

Well the ixs turned up today – fits well around the scalp but the cheek pads are quite tight, cirtainly may get uncomfortable if worn all day. But I’d rather that than going up a size….

jk1980
    Free Member

I have a fox rampage pro carbon for DH/uplift days. Really pleased with it, really high quality so I would thoroughly recommend

kiwijohn

The Bell Super 2R rubbed on the top of my head, but the 3R I replaced it with
    didn’t.
    Replaced that with a Fox Proframe which was perfect for my head.
    Replaced that with a 100% Trajecta because it was the only full face helmet I could get a year ago. That has been great except their version of MIPS uses a mount that leaves 2 red spots on your forehead. Would probably buy again now they’ve upgraded the buckle to fidlock.
    I really need to stop smashing expensive helmets into the ground, but they’ve all done what they’re supposed to very well.

stanstorey
    Free Member

Thanks all for this thread 👍

Reminded me I needed one for a BPW trip in a couple or months…and went googling.

Winstanley have/had 661 Reset MIPS in limited sizes and colours for £69.99 which has saved me a packet for a limited use item 👌

loum
    Free Member

Lazer phoenix + is a nice helmet that’s good value. Kids have a couple and a Reset for BMX and it’s similar standard, maybe even a little nicer made.
    Available in Halfords so very try-onnable. Good quality and value

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Full face’ is closed to new replies.