Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Full face helmets help
  • hboycey
    Free Member

I’ve started riding more bike park type (tidworth/chicksands/BPW) riding recently and have started to wonder if it’s worth getting a full face for the handful of days per year that i do this. I’ve managed fine without up until now but just wonder if the extra protection would be beneficial/do i just want one because the marketing tells me i need one?

one other slight issue is that the LBS don’t have any to try so would need to have a search around to try some.

as a friend said to me yesterday, you don’t need one until just before you smash your head on a tree!

so, should i get one? is it worth it for those few rides a year?

weeksy

I would…. in fact I did…. I feel a lot happier on BPW days with one on.

I bought mine at BPW actually.

hboycey
    Free Member

Weeksy, what did you go for? i’ve been looking online at the fox rampage.

best to test a few i guess.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you feel like you need one, buy it.

If it’s only going to be used a few times a year, then pick up a discounted model off CRC, you will probably have to try a few until one fits well, so that’s your only choice if the LBS doesn’t stock them.

Of course they are safer, you have to decide if the risk is worth it for the likes of BPW.

prawny

I would. But my face is very handsome.

I’d probably go with someone with a good returns policy like CRC and buy a load in the different sizes and send the wrong ones back

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Any protection is like insurance: you can spend a lot of money on it and never need it, but you don’t want to be caught without it when the need does arise. I wear knee pads and elbow pads because I’ve fallen without them on and hurt myself. I’m not sure I’d want to have the kind of injury that would make me want to wear a full facer.

If it’s comfy for the riding you’re doing why not wear one? Whether you’re doing it for safety reasons or fashion doesn’t really matter.

BPW has a decent selection so try some on next time you’re down there.

weeksy

Mine was/is a Bell. £75 jobbie. Fits like a dream.

Tried on a Specialized Deviant and it was horrific !

rocketman
    Free Member

i’ve been looking online at the fox rampage

Have got a Rampage meself the fit is not too dissimilar to a Giro Remedy.

FWIW Fox Europe are based in Gateshead and allegedly they are not averse to sending helmets to dealers on a sale-or-return basis. That’s how I got mine the lbs got a couple of different sizes in for me to try

Have a word with your lbs they might be able to sort something

scottfitz
    Free Member
    mrjmt
    Free Member

got my fox rampage from the fox clothing shop at the local designer outlet centre.
    Also had some flux XC type helmets and gloves in.
    they also had some rather jazzy looking DH pyjamas but didnt go for them.

hboycey
    Free Member

Thanks rocketman, that’s useful to know. I’m going to check with the lbs this week.

Scottfitz – I saw those, would prefer to try it on before hand if possible.

Thanks all, think I’ll have a proper look into it and try some on. Better to be safe than sorry!

transition1
    Free Member

where are you based?
    I have a few KALI full face helmets for sale, Avatar, Dugana & Savara

scottfitz
    Free Member

where are you based?

This

hboycey
    Free Member

Hampshire

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Definitely worth it
    I had an otb last week at BPW slo mo on bonneyville, landed on my head on a pointy rock – large 4 inch cut in helmet, smashed visor and scrapes to the face part of the full face. I had bruises from the impact on my forehead
    Dread to think the result if id been wearing my XC lid

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hargroves not got any?
    also Crank cycles (Alton) stocks fox & 661

hboycey
    Free Member

Yeah will check hargroves this week, hopefully they can get one in as thy stock the xc fox lids. Will check crank too.

That crash sounds nasty frogleek.

nosedive
    Free Member

Definitely. Once youve crashed in a full face you will never go back. Doesnt matter if it is only used a few days a year. That just means it will last longer.

+1 for the bargain down o matic

cloudnine
    Free Member

How tight fitting should a full face be?
    All the ones I’ve tried are either too tight or have a bit of movement in them.

nosedive
    Free Member

Reasonably tight. They tend to loosen up a bit when the pads get squashed down

theraggyone
    Free Member

A full face should fit snugly ,feeling like it pushes your cheeks in slightly .you shouldnt be able to grab the chin and pull it upwards exposing your face , if you can its not a good fit. I ride chicksands twice a month and I wouldnt ride without a full face it has saved me quite a few times from serious facial injury:)

Karl33to
    Free Member

For motorbike helmets, but still good fitting advice …
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KytJa4i96v4#t=62[/video]

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We all use Casco Vipers for when things get a bit hairy. Usually Alp type holidays and uplift days.

They are full face but fairly light duty, they are also lovely and light (500g?) and you can still hear things with them on. Full face lids can be around 1kg I think.

Nice air flow over your bonce too.

Chin guard is removable.

carlosg
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-d2-helmet-delta-silver-blue-2013/rp-prod119931

TLD D2 for under £100 ! , I keep looking and getting tempted but I already have a 661 flight and a Dainese raptor so don’t really need another helmet.

mcnultycop

My theory is if I’m getting a tow up, then why not wear a full face. I got a Bluegrass one from Halfords following a PSA on here and it is spot on. £40 from £140 or something. I’ve only used it once at Antur and it was great, and it’ll be getting an outing at BPW next month.

freewheeling
    Free Member

Following a recent face plant on what I thought was a well known and safe route resulting in lots of skin removal from my chin and nose have decided that a FF Helmet would be a wise investment, especially for trail centres ie BPW. But which one? Do not want to look like Darth Vader, but still want adequate protection. A friend uses a Met Parachute, which they are upgrading and reintroducing in July. But there seems to be lots of different opinions on the Parachute. Any views?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmets help’ is closed to new replies.