• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Full face helmet for the Alps? Essential or not?
  • binners

I'm in the process of putting in a big order in with Chain Reaction. I'm off to Morzine in a few weeks (for passporte de soleil) and i fancy staying in one piece. I've ordered knee and arm stuff, so they're safe

But what about helmets?

I've got form for face-planting in far less challenging circumstances. So… is a full-face essential. And am I going to sweat to death wearing one all day?

Your experiences and words of wisdom please?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I've got form for face-planting in far less challenging circumstances. So… is a full-face essential.

Yes

And am I going to sweat to death wearing one all day?

Yes
    But if you go faster it gets cooler

thomthumb
    Free Member

i didn't have one last time – never felt the need – even when i was there

for some reason this year i feel that i do need one.

I don't know why i think that i need one this time as i didn't last time but i will be ordering one soon. there was a thread on here recently that said no need for PPDS

LHS
    Free Member

If you're an ugly **** with no brain cells then don't bother, otherwise yes.

nickf
    Free Member

I'm doing PdS, and will be wearing a full-facer, accepting the fact that yes, I'll probably sweat like a pig.

binners

Cheers guys. Full face has gone on the order. Last time I face-planted was on a really innocuous downhill. Result: a trip to A&E to get my face stitched back together. I've now got a really cool scar but don't feel the need for another one

chakaping
    Free Member

I'd say yes you do want one if you're going to be riding the DH runs rather than just XC.

I wouldn't bother with it for the PPdS though, it's mostly XC terrain and there's a fair bit of pedalling/climbing.

binners

Actually: has anyone got a recomendation. I'm looking at this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24915

or is it worth spending a bit more and getting this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24914

MSP

How about the specialized deviant, has a fair bit of venting.

nickf
    Free Member

I'd say yes you do want one if you're going to be riding the DH runs rather than just XC.

I wouldn't bother with it for the PPdS though, it's mostly XC terrain and there's a fair bit of pedalling/climbing.

Unless you know something I don't, then I suggest any event with 7000m of descent and 1000 metres of climbing can't really be thought of as (a) particularly pedally (b) typical XC terrain.

binners

Cheers MSP. That looks a bit more like it.

nickc

I wouldn't bother unless you're spending all day on the DH runs. It gets pretty hot out there.

yoshimi

I've had a few 661 full facers, theyr craop!

Best one I've ever used is Giro Remedy, really well vented and you can hear which makes you feel less enclosed

awb
    Free Member

I have the cheaper Evolution, and didn't feel it was worth the extra for Carbon. I mean, you're not planning on pedalling all the way uphill, right? And you'll not use it all that much in this country?

The normal one doesn't feel heavy. I'd save your 40 quid for something else.

(But yes, a full-face in the Alps is a good idea)

pedalhead
    Free Member

Tbh, any helmet recommendation is useless without actually trying it on yourself. The best helmet is the one that fits you properly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Unless you know something I don't, then I suggest any event with 7000m of descent and 1000 metres of climbing can't really be thought of as (a) particularly pedally (b) typical XC terrain.

Yes there's a lot more descending than climbing, but what I meant was that all of the descents (excluding the DH options) were the sort you'd find on a normal XC ride.

I can't remember any very steep sections or tricky obstacles at all really.

I may concede to you on the pedally bit though, I'd forgotten I was riding a silly, heavy 8" travel big hit so even some of the descents were pedally for me!

Drac

Essential? No. Nice to have for exta protection? Yes.

toys19
    Free Member

yoshimi – Member

I've had a few 661 full facers, theyr craop!

I've got a 661 Full comp which is similar to those evolutions. I used it last year in morzine and use it at afan all the time. Its white and keeps you pretty cool, was fine in hot august in Morzine last year.

I have had a few crashes wearing it and I am very impressed with the way it protected me, especially the times when I've cracked my head on a rock. Its light comfy for my bonce (the sizing is small so try one bigger).

antennae
    Free Member

I took both with me for the PPdS and settled on the full face just before I hopped on the bike. Five minutes later, I overshot a fast gravelly (fireroad!) turn and did a superman dive down a drainage ditch face first.

It was the last place I expected to crash, but I suppose that's the point.

+1 for the Giro Remedy.

nickf
    Free Member

I'd forgotten I was riding a silly, heavy 8" travel big hit so even some of the descents were pedally for me!

So a bit like my Kona Stab…OTT for much of it, but everything else I ride out there seems to get broken or worn out very quickly.

Drac

I take it you've replaced it then toys if you crashed a few times with it now?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmet for the Alps? Essential or not?’ is closed to new replies.