Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Full face helmet and glasses (not goggles)
  • kelvin

Looking at getting a full face helmet for big days on unknown big trails. I run very hot, and can’t do goggles. So which helmet is (relatively) cool AND can used with sunglasses rather than goggles?

Or should I go for a “half face” helmet or convertible instead (noting that there will be uplift/cablecar fed sites that won’t let you use such a half way helmet).

All advice welcome… even the normal useless kind…

roger_mellie

My Met Parachute very recently saved my head. I didn’t find it too hot in the years I wore it. Glasses (addidas evil eye) fit OK, a bit tight, but you’ll get that with any full face I’d say. I personally wouldn’t bother with convertible helmets. I thought that would be the way forward before I bought the Met, but I think it’s just additional faff.

honourablegeorge

Was massively impressed with the Troy Lee Stage in 30 degree heat in Finale this year, wished I’d bought one years ago. Not sure what glasses would suit it, but the POC Ora goggles I had were nice and airy also

highpeakrider

I always use my Oakleys with my Bell full face, just have to put them on with helmet on, and remove before you take it off.
    I’ve only noticed an issue with motorcycle helmet as they have more padding and tighter fit.

matt_outandabout

+1 on Troy Lee Stage.
    Eldest has one and it’s done two Alps seasons, including following Trans Savoie races. He says it’s so comfortable and suggest cooler than his pals bunnets.

honourablegeorge

Just tried the Stage on here with a pair of Oakley Sutro S, lots of room for them, no interference I could feel. Obviously not a ride review, but think most glasses would be fine.

kelvin

Thanks people. Stage has jumped to the top of the list now. Looks as well vented as any other option, and if people have tried glasses with them, that is very reassuring.

😀

Very quick help. Thanks again.

anderzz
    Free Member

I have a fox proframe which is quite airy. Had no issues wearing glasses with it.

My next helmet may be a Smith mainline though.

stwhannah

@kelvin I’m a glasses and FF wearer, you can try out whatever is in my garage if your head is a medium!I like the 100% glasses for giving goggle like coverage without squashing my nose.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Fox Proframe and Bell Super 2 have been fine with glasses for me BUT there are so many variables over the shape of your head/face/ears and what sunglasses and where the arms end up that I’d really try to get a try on with your glasses if in any way possible. Like take Hannah up on her offer. (I say this more as an ex glasses wearing motorcyclist but it’s still true)

dyna-ti

Maybe a neck brace too.They seem to be all the rage.

Of course I’m not implying brittle bones or anything like that 🙂

kelvin

Imply away! I’ve already ordered back and chest protection.

Proframe was what I was looking at before asking here. That’s still on the list.

Hannah, I’m assuming I am a large, but would like to take you up on the offer in case I’m wrong… ta.

escrs
    Free Member

Another one here for a FOX Proframe

I need glasses to see and have no issues with them and my FOX proframe

Like you i run really hot, i bought a white Proframe to help reflect the heat rather than black which would asorb heat

momo

I’ve just bought an IXS Trigger full face, glasses do fit. Really light and airy although I’m yet to try it in anger.

loum
    Free Member

Looked into this recently and, for me, the tld stage looked the best option (it has BMX certification over the other two) with the pro frame and the ixs trigger as other considerations.
    Then the ixs ( MIPS version) got massively discounted on CRC so took a chance and it’s turned out great. As above, really airy and takes sunglasses well. There feels like slots through the padding at the side where the Sunnies go from temple to ear that just fit right. Very nicely designed.
    The tld has similar, I believe – not actually seen, but the cost/value meant the trigger jumped to first choice and turned out to be a keeper.
    And the s/m is actually big

militantmandy
    Free Member

My next helmet may be a Smith mainline though

So, very comfortable helmet. But, mine has had a couple of key flaws. It’s extremely loud. I think it’s the sound of the MIPS scraping on the inside of the shell. Generally don’t notice when riding hard stuff but it’s a bloody racket on the pedal. Also, mine constantly lost visor screws. Having replaced several times one screw has now sheared off. Not sure I’d buy another tbh.

Akers

I have a Fox Proframe, but then one I grab for big days in the mountains where there’s lots of peddling involved, is my Kali Invader. It’s the most ventilated FF I have found, super light, free crash replacement (which I have used, and can confirm is great service), and works fine with glasses, both straight armed Oakleys and regular armed Bolle riding glasses. The new 2.0 version even comes with an open-face style adjustment dial which enables a good fit and minimises movement without having to overly squish your face with large cheek pads to hold it steady.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’m a fellow hot person, I use a Endura MT500. Including doing the pedal ups on hot days at BPW and Aston Hill without feeling the need to remove it – altohugh I do take my goggles off for the climbs.

About to spend a week in Morzine with 25-29 degree temps.

Cant comment on the glasses compatability though.

My mrs has the proframe and wears it with sunglasses no issue. I cant say I have ever tried. A bit to Euro for my liking though. Budgie smugglers and knock off addidas Sambas next…

DrP

i need glasses to, erm, see…
    I’ve prescription sports ones i wear with open AND full face.

I feel less RAD that if i had goggles, but they work…

DrP

mashr

A bit to Euro for my liking though.

I’m vain enough that this causes an issue. Really need to just embrace it and have my body armour on top of my clothes too

DrP

i need glasses to, erm, see…
    I’ve prescription sports ones i wear with open AND full face.

I feel less RAD that if i had goggles, but they work…

DrP

OTG goggles and glasses – RAD and the ability to see for the win

sharkattack

Modified goggles for me. A line of tiny holes around the edge of the lens to prevent steaming up and most of the foam removed from where it pinches your nose.

joebristol

I wear Rad8 prescription glasses with an IXS Trigger FF (non mips). They were on offer for £130 at CRC recently and I couldn’t resist trying one.

Rode it all day at BPW uplifting a few weekends ago then all day pedalling up and down Afan masts the following day. I’m not convinced it runs any warmer than my giro chronicle half shell.

Works nicely with glasses a plenty of room for the arms – I actually tuck the arms into the adjustment cradle and tighten it up to hold my glasses still – but you don’t have to do that.

mashr

sharkattack
    Free Member

Modified goggles for me. A line of tiny holes around the edge of the lens to prevent steaming up and most of the foam removed from where it pinches your nose

Like your thinking with the extra holes. Did you just drill them? I’ve taken foam from around the nose, but also removed all the foam from the top of the goggles (the thin stuff over the vents rather than the stuff the presses against you)

sharkattack

Like your thinking with the extra holes. Did you just drill them? I’ve taken foam from around the nose, but also removed all the foam from the top of the goggles (the thin stuff over the vents rather than the stuff the presses against you)

I’ve used a 1 or 2mm drill bit to make various patterns around the edge of a few lenses. I’ve also removed the thin foam over the vents that you mention. Honestly, just trimming the bit that pinches your nose is a huge improvement.

This is when I was riding DH regularly in all weathers and was pretty desperate for a solution to fog and sweat. It seemed to work very well at the time.

Standard unmodified goggles are pretty terrible actually! But, I haven’t used any for ages so not sure if modern ones are any better.

I wouldn’t ride with glasses in a full face. It’s just not the done thing is it? It’s like taking your peak off.

Marin
    Free Member

Endura MT500 here. I ride with bog standard safety specs on as I don’t like goggles. It’s not super hot to peddle in. But I’m so uncool I’m still thrashing a Five on the DH trails!

kelvin

How is that uncool?!?

Thanks for further advice and ideas people, all very useful.

honourablegeorge

sharkattack
    Free Member
    Modified goggles for me. A line of tiny holes around the edge of the lens to prevent steaming up and most of the foam removed from where it pinches your nose.

That’s (kind of) the deal with the POC ones, see below, they’re vented top and bottom, works really well, and I’m a particularly sweaty one

tjaard

My wife and oldest daughter wear prescription glasses, and neither of them have ever had any problem fitting their glasses in their Full face helmet, and neither have I, the few times I have tried over the years. So that constitutes 3 heads, and probably at least a dozen helmets (including the ones just tried on for fit).

So I’d say, just try the helmet on and try and fit the glasses you want to wear, just to be safe, but I wouldn’t expect any problems with most helmets.

I sometimes wear normal shades (or my prescription glasses – mild correction, so can live without them) with my Bell Super DH. Helmet is pretty cool running and wearing glasses with it I’m either a) really uncool, or b) too cool to care. Not sure which….

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.