Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fujifilm X100T
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

Thinking of bagging a used one

Like the retro look and the dials on the top

Image quality is meant to be pretty good too

Anyone got one that can share a thought or two on this camera?

Cheers

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have one of these. It was my first “proper” camera after a bit of a hiatus, and I’m not especially proficient, so do take that into account/discount my reckons accordingly. 🙂

Image quality seems to be pretty decent. I tend to shoot in RAW and I’m quite pleased with it. Problems with my pictures are my own.

Obviously the lack of any zoom is what it is. I decided it was something I was going to work with and concentrate on creating images within that limitation, and that’s been reasonably succesful.

There is a lot going on with the controls, and some of it feels more intuitive than others. There is definitely a lot that it does that I don’t use, and some bits of the quick menu don’t seem to work as I’d expect at all. Not a huge deal.

Autofocus works nicely and it’s easy to adjust the focussing point in the frame quite swiftly. Manual can get a bit oddly bogged-down in one of the viewfinder modes, or at least I’m bad at it.

It’s good at automatic exposure, but that’s the main thing I’ve been focussing on doing manually. It gives you its view on where your manually-set exposure is compared to what it would be doing, which is helpful.

It’s quite good at close-verging-on-macro things, but obviously small things far away are a bit hopeless.

It’s not very happy doing sports/action stuff. It can’t really shoot RAW files in burst mode – you have to go to smaller files for that or it freezes up.

I’ve had issues with the battery contacts, which contrives to look as though the battery won’t hold a charge. Worth checking if you’re going 2nd hand that the battery is sound.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Great, thanks

Have you tried JPEG – Fuji’s jpeg colour processing is something they’re famous for

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I have the X100 and the X10, bought for work, at times when they were each over £400.
    Really nice cameras, even holding one up to your face, feels just right.
    Picture quality seems high, pretty good in low light.

Menu system, like many menu stytems can be easy to get lost in, But, Fuji X is the place i would look first for and everyday camera

rossburton
    Free Member

A photographer friend *loves* his Fuji X series camera.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Good heavens. Here’s a strange thing! The flash is suppressed in “silent” mode. I’ve been wondering why it wasn’t working…. 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

Is there another option I should look at, for maybe a little better image quality?

Or is the 100T’s fine?

Cougar

It’s not very happy doing sports/action stuff. It can’t really shoot RAW files in burst mode – you have to go to smaller files for that or it freezes up.

Faster card might help with that? (Unless the bottleneck is the camera itself of course.)

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Is there another option I should look at, for maybe a little better image quality?

Unless a pro photographer with some particularly demanding clients I think you’ll be fine with the IQ going by all the full-size/RAW samples I’ve worked with.

Try downloading some and then compare to similar equivalent ISO samples from, say, Leica M9 or (insert DSLR)?

Also this comparison tool

*Edit – although I just compared my Pentax MX-1 to an X100T both at ISO200 and I’m now convinced the smaller-sensored and much cheaper Pentax is endowed with some sorcery! Many if not most areas of the test scene are rendered more convincingly than the Fujifilm :-/

bonesetter
    Free Member

Good comparison tool, thanks.

Your MX-1 is known for it’s IQ though, especially JPEG. I think we tend to get a little over anxious about sensor size. Nice camera

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just looking at the Fuji X-T2.

Pricey, but nice. IQ seems a lot better than the 100T and it doesn’t look too much bigger size wise

ampthill

IQ seems a lot better than the 100T

“ISO 100/200/400 images are excellent with very fine details and bright, accurate colors up to 24 x 36 inches. It was impressive to see this size print remain good all the way up to ISO 400. At all three ISO levels, a 30 x 40 print would be acceptable for wall display.”

XT-2

“ISOs 100 and 200 deliver excellent prints at 30 x 40 inches and higher, until you run out of available resolution. These prints at base and extended low ISO display very rich color and terrific fine detail. They are in fact among the most natural-looking prints we’ve seen from any camera we’ve tested.

ISO 400 yields an outstanding print at 24 x 36 inches while still preserving top-notch fine detail. Wall display prints at this ISO are fine at 30 x 40 inches as well.”

I find it hard to believe many of needing more than either. I think the XT-2 will be bigger. But it will have the crucial advantage that you can take the lens off and clean the sensor if need…..

IA

I’ve got the original X100.

Ace camera, particularly in low or challenging/interesting light – mainly as you have all the controls readily accessible on dials. Not a great point and shoot tho, takes efffort to work well. I like it for action as the viewfinder means you see people about to enter the frame.

Jpegs from it are ace, especially the skin tones.

bob_summers

I barely use mine, generally only shoot film these days but it is a great camera. It works fine for me as 95% of the time I use a 35mm lens, and the temptation to buy into another system is eliminated!

It takes lovely B&W jpg portraits in daylight – I keep it set on ISO200, wide open with the ND switched on, and use the built in flash if backlit.

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ Is it FS? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fujifilm X100T’ is closed to new replies.