Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fuelling pre-ride
  • rascal
    Free Member

Long story short but having had months off the bike due to a broken collarbone I’m trying to get some miles in again, building slowly for a 66 mile sportive at the end of March. Did the longest ride in nearly 7 months yesterday – only 43 road miles in Leicestershire so hardly that demanding. I had a bowl of golden syrup porridge and a coffee an hour before I went out, and had a few bites of a fruity yoghurt bar I had with me on the ride, plus 2/3 of a 700ml bottle of electrolyte drink and bit of water, but I was starving after an hour and cramping in right leg with 10 miles to go. Almost forgotten the best way to fuel up before a ride but pretty sure this isn’t normal – what would you eat before and during to feel as good as you can for as long as you can? All my gels had expired hence not taking any with me 🙄

k1100t
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure out of date gels wont kill you… Alternatively, just stuff your face with what you like, be it flapjack, Trek bars, Clif bars, trail mix, etc, etc. When I cramp though, it’s more to do with the lack of electrolytes, rather than lack of calories, so drink more of that…?

mcnultycop

Too much coffee and not enough water makes me cramp. Electrolytes definitely help me too.

lunge

Pint of water.
    Good bowl of porridge or muesli.
    Double espresso.

I’ll not eat up to 50 miles but will drink electrolyte drinks, though mainly as I like the taste.
    After 50 miles I’ll use gels if I’m pushing hard or bars if it’s a little more relaxed.

Works for me.

Poopscoop

Noob here. The caffeine, what’s the purpose of that in the pre ride regime?

Cheers!

rascal
    Free Member

I had pasta for tea Fri night (plus 3 beers) and my wee was almost Lucozade colour after the ride too – dehydration?

k1100t
    Free Member

The caffeine, what’s the purpose of that in the pre ride regime?

It makes you go faster, further, stronger, longer…
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/23hqLh1TYQqZdql7GkqQZ1L/which-types-of-exercise-benefit-from-caffeine

Poopscoop

Ah, cheers bud and sorry for thread hijack!

steve_b77
    Free Member

If you’re just getting back to it, that is no where near enough fluid or food for a 43mile ride.

You’ll be burning around 6-800 calories an hour and unless you’re really trying to lose a lot of weight, you should look to replenish that.

dawson

Dark coloured pee is definitely a sign of dehydration

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Slightly different situation but i work offshore 3&3 and the first ride or two back i am always starving. I do watt bike sessions when offshore about an hour every other day but I think it just takes a couple of longer rides back onshore for the body to adjust back to prolonged exercise sessions. By the end of a trip home i dont really have to think about snacks etc on 2-3 hour rides but I know the first couple i will hit a wall where i need some sort of food.

haggis1978

Do you have any idea how many calories you burn during those miles??? A regular bowl of porridge (40g plus milk) is probably only about 400kcal so that’s gone in about half an hour/45 mins tops depending on how hard you’re pushing. Plus if you leave it till you’re hungry to eat then you’ve left it too late.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To me Your symptoms just sound like you are just unfit + not having enough water.

Porridge is good pre ride, I tend to have a banana too.

Was it packet porridge or homemade? The packet stuff is full of sugar so would negatively effect performance.

As you get fitter your reliance on food drops, but it all takes time

Oh and stretch after the ride

philjunior
    Free Member

I’d eat far more before a ride, particularly if I felt it was likely that I@d be hungry.

That said, bear in mind that cramp will happen sometimes, particularly if it’s a ride that stretches you a bit.

If I had the time/inclination to do it properly, I’d probably have something along the lines of:

Large bowl of porrdige (probably minimise simple carbs i.e. syrup) or muesli.

Couple of big thick slabs of toast with some eggs and maybe tomato on.

Usually the toast just gets marmalade on.

I don’t really “believe in” energy gels (or for that matter the need for electrolytes), but if they fit in your pockets and you like them then go for it.

antigee

All my gels had expired

….thought they came like that?

Wheatabix with some muesli thrown in are my staples…then God’s own Soreen Malt loaf …but each to their own ….down under so todays ride was a cool 25degs…looking at UK weather suspect just keeping warm was eating calories…body will take a while to adjust back…400/500 cals+ / hour and 40mins or so to digest suggest need as per posting need a better plan to help feel good…looked for it at xmas for mrs antigee but isn’t there a book that everyone suggests? something like healthy fuel for the ride ?

jjxray
    Free Member

I tend to eat porridge and a banana about an hour before ride. I take with me calorie rich foods in my pack, like flapjacks, and maybe eat 1 every hour depending on how long the ride is (sub 20 miles I dont take food), this tends to keep me replenished. I just drink water, at least a litre again depending on length.
    I also carry jelly babies for an emergency quickly absorbed sugar hit…..even if its just a psychological lift, it feels like it makes a massive difference when your tired.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Assuming these are road miles, I wouldn’t eat a lot for 40 miles. Bowl of Weetabix or shreddies and a coffee beforehand. Maybe a cereal bar at 30 miles, but that’s it. Over three hours is different, and I will eat at 2 hours, then every half hour.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m still getting through gels that “expired” in 2017 I think. A few had gone a bit lumpy but still tasted fine and no repercussions.

Anyway, try having a gel after about 45 mins and then every half hour or so.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The caffeine, what’s the purpose of that in the pre ride regime?

Jobbies. Strong pre ride coffee will loosen something up. Save ££££ on weight weenieing by dropping a couple of lbs of this way. Well that’s what I’ve read anyway.

john_l
    Free Member

You don’t just wanting to be thinking about what you need to eat to get you though the ride, you also want to make sure that you’ve eaten enough to recover properly.

Rule of thumb for anything over 2hhrs or so is gram of carbs for every kg bodyweight per hour. For me, that’s 2-3 gels an hour or a Cliff bar an hour plus 500ml of water an hour. Or some sort of equivalent food.

Sure, you can get by on less but why make life harder?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fuelling pre-ride’ is closed to new replies.