Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • fuel prices…..
  • gonzy
    Free Member

the other day i was filling up the car at Tesco when i put the wrong fuel in….i mean wrong as in the ultimate unleaded rather than the regular stuff…i only realised when i took the nozzle out of the car to put it back on the pump….i was shocked by the price though…£1.43/litre…my justification at this then became “well the car hasnt had a treat of the more costly stuff for a long time so never mind”…
    then yesterday my friend who is living in Qatar tells me he has been filling his tank up over there for the equivalent of……wait for it….

18 pence per litre!!!

WTF!?!?!

we’re seriously getting screwed over…most probably over an oil barrel!!
    its not going to change any time soon….so everyone get out more on your bikes!!!

brakes
    Free Member

UK fuel sales down 20% in five years or something.
    whether we’re getting screwed or not, this can only be a good thing shirley?

watsontony
    Free Member

its the tax. Its OUR government ripping us off.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

18p sounds so low as to be subsidised.

brakes – Member

UK fuel consumption down 20% in five years or something.
    whether we’re getting screwed or not, this can only be a good thing shirley?

or it just means lot of people have switched to diesel, which is great for causing lung cancer.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect that the reason it’s that cheap in Qatar is that the state makes the stuff, and most of its revenue comes from selling it to us at high prices. It wouldn’t make any sense for them to charge their own citizens (or subjects) the same price.

It’s not that different to coffee shop employees being able to drink free coffee. Just on a bigger scale!

its the tax. Its OUR government ripping us off.

Yeah, that government. What has the government ever done for us?!

Well, APART from the roads, security, transport, infrastructure, health and education…

Petrol is still something like 70p/l even without tax, IIRC.

And fuel sales are down 9% overall in 5 years, including diesel.

brakes
    Free Member

ok, so petrol down 24%, diesel up 13%

gonzy
    Free Member

I suspect that the reason it’s that cheap in Qatar is that the state makes the stuff, and most of its revenue comes from selling it to us at high prices. It wouldn’t make any sense for them to charge their own citizens (or subjects) the same price.

you’re probably right, but make you think of all the taxes on fuel and what Mr Osborne is doing with it….
    good job Qatar has no hills or i’d be over there…

Sui
    Free Member

Saudi/emirates fuel is subsidised, in so much that it does not track the usual market, normally using companies such as PLATTS and ARGUS. However, fuel quality over there is also appalling, very very low quality stuff. Yes we are one of the highest (not highest) taxed countries as far as fuel goes, but its still not making the majors loadsa wonga as you’d expect. downstream refining is V.expensive – it’s upstream where the money is made..

molgrips
    Free Member

you’re probably right, but make you think of all the taxes on fuel and what Mr Osborne is doing with it….
    good job Qatar has no hills or i’d be over there…

Sure about that? I think it’d be a good idea, might make you appreciate what you’ve got 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

Petrol 70ppl without tax – i don’t think so

1.43 – vat = £1.1916
    1.192 – duty (£0.5795/l) = £0.612 per litre

the current market wholesale rate for PUG (i.e. standard 95 without additives etc) is £0.49053 (as of COP yesterday)

Buying the “Super grades” does scew the margins as the Tesco stuff is a con and a half, it’s almost expected of the Shell stuff as it’s a different base plus some decent additives.

Current PUG at the pumps in comparison is £1.369 = £1.14/l less vat, which = £0.561/l

factor in some delivery charges (between 0.5pence per litre and 1 ppl) that leaves a 5ppl profit. Lets assume you are getting a “major fuel” with a decent add pack in, that will add approx 1ppl, so you are now down to 4ppl margin – this is split between the franchisee and the OEM. The franchisee then has costs out of this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The prices are going down my way, lost 3p pl in 3 weeks.

£7.25 per gallon (Phah) in Madeira ATM.

irelanst
    Free Member

£1.43/litre! I remember those days, it were all fields round ‘ere and you could go t’pictures and have a fish supper and still have change out of a fiver.

€1.75/litre for standard unleaded here (Netherlands)

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh what else is going to stop folks driving un necessarily ?

Sui
    Free Member

that is expensive £1.48 a todays forex..

tutgareth
    Free Member

The prices are going down my way, lost 3p pl in 3 weeks

but round here the prices for 95ron went up from 1.31 to 1.43 in the month of Feb only to settle back to 1.39 now!!! nice way of putting up the prices before the budget then lowering them only slightly after to make people feel happier!! FU$%*£G theives!!

annebr
    Free Member

Is there much difference between Petrol and Diesel in the Netherlands?

Cos I was there last weekend and filled our van with diesel for E1.41 pl. Cheapest we saw was E1.39 pl

molgrips
    Free Member

nice way of putting up the prices before the budget then lowering them only slightly after to make people feel happier!! FU$%*£G theives!!

Hang on – the oil companies and the markets are what cause the day to day changes. They don’t give a crap about the budget.

The tax isn’t responsible for those price variations.

irelanst
    Free Member

Is there much difference between Petrol and Diesel in the Netherlands?

Diesel is much cheaper than petrol, I think it’s one of the biggest price differentials in Europe.

butcher

Fuel is actually very cheap. We’re just used to being spoilt.

sbob
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

tbh what else is going to stop folks driving un necessarily?

Give them an alternative.
    High fuel prices increase the cost of everything and stifle the growth of an economy.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

High fuel prices increase the cost of everything and stifle the growth of an economy.

Actually the opposite is true.

It makes up a very small fraction of the cost of goods so has a negligible effect, and high fuel prices keep people off the roads, so people who drive for a living or deliver goods save time (which costs more than fuel) because theres far less traffic jams and gridlock.

Low fuel costs would only be good if you had loads more roads & parking or loads less people.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

True, but I do love driving – spoilt bastard that I am 😈

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ wrong ^^

FeeFoo
    Free Member

No, honestly, I do love it! 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

How do you work that out then?

sbob
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member

Actually the opposite is true.

It makes up a very small fraction of the cost of goods so has a negligible effect, and high fuel prices keep people off the roads, so people who drive for a living or deliver goods save time (which costs more than fuel) because theres far less traffic jams and gridlock.

High fuel prices will keep some people off the roads, but a lot of people drive because they need to, to work for example.

Considering we have high fuel prices I’m surprised, using your logic, that we have so many people on the roads and goods are so expensive.

An accellerating artic will use one gallon of fuel a minute.
    I think you may have over-estimated the value of time. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It makes up a very small fraction of the cost of goods so has a negligible effect

Got a breakdown of that?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not you feefoo, that horatio fella I was commenting on.

If he, or anyone else for that matter would like to take their ” fuels cheep, it stops people driving” nonsense, then please direct it to my Parents and MrsBouys Parents who live in rural locations and have to go shopping etc.

You seem to have a very blinkered view of people’s right to freedom and access ability to amenities.

T’is all I’m saying on this thread where i suspect it will turn to a boiling mass of puffed out cheeks and ” I’m right ” attitudes.

sbob
    Free Member

I’m waiting for one of those types who feel sorry for all the people who can’t get jobs (because there are no jobs) to suggest to someone who drives to work that they should get a job they can walk or cycle to. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

Given that there are millions of people making needless journeys, not car sharing, driving gas guzzlers, etc. I’d say it was still plenty cheap enough.

sbob
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

Given that there are millions of people making needless journeys, not car sharing, driving gas guzzlers, etc. I’d say it was still plenty cheap enough.

That’s your opinion, which you can’t back up with fact. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s your opinion, which you can’t back up with fact.

Nope, no facts to back it up, but I walked past a few on the way back from the shops, I’m happy to extrapolate that to ‘millions’ nationally 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Trouble is people wealthy enough not to care – or perhpa too stupid to care – carry on driving as they always have. But there are people of more modest means who have a real problem affording fuel. Now we do have higher car ownership than ever so does everyone who owns a car really need it or is it just seen as pretty much an essential thing to own? It is too easy to get into the car to pop down to the shops 3/4 mile away to get a pint of milk or whatever. Annoyingly my wife who passed her driving test a couple of years ago now assures me she just has to use the car for trips that before she walked as had no choice. She does often walk though so not too miffed at her….

toby1

All I have to say is 22mpg – weeeeeeee!!!!!

butcher

How do you work that out then?

What I do is walk around Tesco and take note of the price of water / coke / beer / multi purpose cleaner / fabric conditioner / etc.

Petrol and Diesel are cheaper than most things in there despite being more costly to produce, transport, and deliver.

mudshark
    Free Member

What I do is walk around Tesco and take note of the price of water / coke / beer / multi purpose cleaner / fabric conditioner / etc.

Petrol and Diesel are cheaper than most things in there despite being more costly to produce, transport, and deliver.

Oh OK your opinion then.

ahwiles
    Free Member

but it’s only an ‘opinion’ that it’s expensive.

£1.40ish buys me a litre of fuel, and that will move even my not-particularly-frugal car at least 8 miles.

if i ride 8 miles, i’ll want a pasty, a cup of tea, and a couple of biscuits.

my car’s cheaper to run than i am.

sbob
    Free Member

It’s expensive (to the consumer) because it could be much cheaper.
    I’ve made small bits of metal that cost thousands, but were considered cheap because that was as cheap as you could manufacturer them.

Every month people spend hundreds of pounds on just the tax on petrol, which could be used to stimulate the economy by being spent, as opposed to just being squandered by those **** wits in government.

molgrips
    Free Member

The government needs tax thought, it’s got to come from somewhere.

mudshark
    Free Member

Opec keeps prices artificially high so it’s not just tax.

BTW, I don’t use much petrol so I sort of like high tax on fuel as the government benefits with little cost to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘fuel prices…..’ is closed to new replies.