Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fuel leak in new car any advice??
  • b230ftw
    Free Member

Just got a car from a friend, nice Hyundai. Filled it with diesel and did a 50mile trip, parked it on drive and noticed fuel leak next day.
    Seems to be coming from around the side or top of the tank. Pulled the seats out and the fuel pump area is dry and no obvious issues.
    Any ideas? Is the fuel filler neck attached with a rubber pipe and could that be leaking? I’ve no idea where it joins onto the tank and can’t easily see it.
    No rust on tank at all as far as I can see, it’s only a 2009 car.

5lab

breather pipe dislodged>

is it definitely fuel and not condensation or rain?

mattyfez

Difficult to diagnose in wet weather if the cars been driven.. Can you clean up /dry out the run off from the leak, maybe put some talc powder in the area and drive it again to get a better idea of the origin of the leak?

b230ftw
    Free Member

Yes it’s diesel. Does the breather pipe run down next to the filler pipe?

5lab

Depends on the car

Cougar

Did you over-fill it?

Ask your friend if it had any history?

jkomo

Fuel leaks are no fun unless it’s petrol.

b230ftw
    Free Member

No history of leaks.
    I filled it up to the click then stopped, I asked my friend and he said it didn’t do it with him and he is very trustworthy. He’s the sort of person who would notice that sort of thing too.

breadcrumb

No rust on tank at all as far as I can see, it’s only a 2009 car.

It’ll likely be a plastic tank, I’d be surprised to find a steel tank on a modern car. And 2009 is still 12 years old.

My wife’s old 500 developed a fuel leak after some scroats drilled the tank and stole her petrol. 🤬

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fuel leak in new car any advice??’ is closed to new replies.