• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jonk.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fubar'ed Wheel
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

After having surgery on my shoulder a week ago Wednesday, I went for a gentle ride at Sherwood Pines last Saturday. Hadn’t even managed a mile when I lost the front wheel on a newly graveled section of the Kitchener trail. As a result my rock solid Mavic 717/Hope Pro II front wheel gave up:

IMG_3657.jpg by BigSteve2006, on Flickr

Now I’ve been to the LBS today to get a quote for replacing the rim. Like for like so another 717 rim. £108 which seemed a bit steep. They reckon that I have to have new spokes as they have been tensioned so are now weak so cannot be re-used. What do you reckon – porkies – sounds like it to me – or are the spokes really weakened by tensionsing.

stucol
    Free Member

No decent wheelbuilder would ever reuse spokes that have been through that. Indeed, any change of rim should have new spokes.
    I think Sapim spokes are about £2 each.

orangeboy
    Free Member

As above the correct way to do it is with new spokes
    But I’ve build a fair few wheels by just taping the rims side by side
    And swapping each spoke in turn.
    I’ve never reused nipple though.

Dt comp in silver are double butted high quality and 80p each inc nipple
    This is £25.60 for 32
    Labour about £30.00
    Plus the rim

More money for black spokes
    And even more with coloured nipples

cynic-al
    Free Member

you can re use spokes OK, it’s just quicker to use new ones and there are no issues with seizing etc.

DT have an RRP of 80p each I think.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

“tw4t” it on the ground a few times job’s a goodun :p

BigSteve
    Free Member

“tw4t” it on the ground a few times job’s a goodun :p

I did think of that, but I reckon it’s too far gone.

I’ve realised the bearings need replacing too. So that brings it to around £120 for a rebuild. Or a new one from Merlin is £130. Guess I’ll be getting a new wheel.

druidh
    Free Member

You can sell the front hub on that damaged wheel too, so you’d probably be better off getting a new wheel.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Oh maaahn, how’d you kill a wheel at Sherwood now the DH area has beeen bulldozered…. :mrgreen:

BigSteve
    Free Member

You can sell the front hub on that damaged wheel too, so you’d probably be better off getting a new wheel.

It certainly is looking that way.

Oh maaahn, how’d you kill a wheel at Sherwood now the DH area has beeen bulldozered….

😳 😳 😳

They’ve graveled section 2. Riding a bit too quick and the front wheel slid away, hit a bank dispatching me over the bars, cracking a couple of ribs on landing. A&E doc reckons I tailed whipped – feet met my head bending me in half backwards.

T666DOM

That’ll buff out easy

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just get a rim and swop it over. I cant believe people are saying the spokes are knacked LOL. Done the same to mine 3 years ago and just got a new 717. Still as true as the day I rebuilt it.

jonk

As above, tape a new rim on and swap each spoke over. If you are not confident once it has been transfered take it to your LBS for a tension and true. I have done this many times. Make sure you GT85 the spoke nipples before you start.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fubar'ed Wheel’ is closed to new replies.