Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • FSA NO.42/ACB headset sealing
  • Paradiso
    Free Member

I seem to be going through bearings on this headset at a rapid rate-weeks instead of months. It’s the type that fits directly into a carbon frame (Saracen Kili Flyer). The bearings are ‘sealed’, but the lack of any external sealing means water gets in pretty quickly. The outside of the bearing corrodes and there’s water inside too. I have tried a Hope bottom race as it has a rubber flange has a seal while the original has none, but this hasn’t made much difference. I smeared the last set I fitted about 8 weeks ago in copper slip to give a bit more rust protection, but they’re corroded already, inside and out. They just don’t seem fit for purpose on a mountain bike that gets wet and muddy.

wiggles
    Free Member

Try different bearings?

Paradiso
    Free Member

Any suggestions on which ones? I searched, but couldn’t find alternatives.

johnnystorm

Same as my Ti cooker takes I think. The wiggle lifeline ones are only a tenner and they lasted a decent amount of UK use and then the tour divide. I did cover them in regular grease before dropping them in.

Paradiso
    Free Member

Just had a look at the Wiggle Lifeline ones. They seem better value. They are 45 (degrees) x 45 (degrees) as opposed to the FSA which are 45 (degrees) by 36 (degrees). Will the 45 (degrees) be at the headset/frame interface, in which case they would work as a full headset?

johnnystorm

Ooh dunno. Maybe they aren’t the same then….

Goldigger
    Free Member

This should help you understand the bearing angles.
    Item 5. Top Angular bearing has outer edge 45°, inner edge 45°
    Item 6. Bottom Angular bearing has outer edge 45°, inner edge 36°

You need the MR127 45°/36° bearing. If you use the 45°/45° it won’t sit right and will probably wear out even faster.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘FSA NO.42/ACB headset sealing’ is closed to new replies.