Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • FSA chainset onto XT bb?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

After a bit of Googling it looks like it will fit/work. Can I just confirm with the learned STWers if this is the truth?

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t think so mate.
    A while ago now, but I dun this thread about it.

And I’ve been led to believe (on here) that you can use a Shimano BB with a FSA crank – well the top hat on the Shimano BB doesn’t fit over the FSA axle, so you can’t!

teethgrinder

I have an xt bb and an fsa chain set. It works, but the axle is a tight fit.

scotroutes

Not all FSA chainsets are created equal 🙂 I can’t recall the details but some work and some don’t.

Rio

Can’t speak specifically for XT but I’ve used FSA chainsets with a variety of “Shimano compatible” BBs and they all work. Currently using one with a CK BB and it’s fine.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It’s a fairly new FSA chainset (afterburber 2×10 – the silver shiny one). I do have the FSA BB too but don’t have the tools to remove the XT bb so thought I could just swap the chainset and leave the XT bb in situ.

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t hurt to try it!

The FSA axle I had had a raised part that meant it wasn’t even a tight fit on the Shimano BB – it simply wouldn’t go in. Yours may be different, of course.

Northwind

FSA have at least 2 different standards, so it’s not as simple as you’d hope. And it’s possible there’s tolerance things too Like, I took my FSA crankset and fitted it to a Shimano BB (and a Hope one I think), no bother. But DezB had an FSA crankset that wouldn’t go with Shimano, yet took the BB that came with my FSA crankset and it worked.

You know what’s good, and simple? Shimano chainsets 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In general no they don’t fit, but in reality some are tight, some don’t fit at all, some slack and some acceptable. There’s different standards for alloy or steel axles and carbon or aluminium cranks IIRC, to that’s 4 standards within one brand! And without counting the other not-24mm axles they do!

Pay your money and make your choice. IME FSA BB’s are alright so I’ve not swapped to anything else. But mines on a road bike and was on a £200+ chainset so was probably an expensive BB getting an easy life.

robarnold
    Free Member

I ran that very same chainset in my press fit Shimano bottom bracket in my Rumblefish for most of the year before going 1×10 and it wasn’t an issue. It’s a slightly tighter fit than a regular Shimano 24mm axle but once it’s in, there was no issue

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Mine’s and Afterburner 386 MegaExo. Bought as an impulse purchase off CRC for $100. Looks lovely but might just cut me losses and see if I can sell it on and get a new set of rings with the proceeds. No great desire or need to go 2×10. On the other hand I’m slowly collecting enough spare parts for another bodgey bike build so might build a flat bar, slick tyred road bike just for the heck of it. (Open to offers though if anyone needs a chainset but bear in mind shipping costs back to UK!)

robarnold
    Free Member

Yep, exactly the same chainset here, no issues in a Shimano BB

BearBack
    Free Member

4 bolt spider FSA afterburner and also slk fits xt bottom bracket for pf92 frames perfectly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘FSA chainset onto XT bb?’ is closed to new replies.