Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • FS trail bikes around €3000?
  • hollyboni
    Free Member

So I know it’s pretty much impossible to buy a bike now but i’m still trying… I’m looking for a FS trail bike around €3000 (i’m located in Hungary). Just a good all-rounder that goes reasonably well up and down. I’m not racing and i’m not chasing Strava KOMs. I know i’ll have to wait a bit, delivery sometime in June-July would be awesome (if that’s even possible).

I ordered a Rose Root Miller 2 in January but the delivery has been pushed back from June to the end of August, and they might mix up the specs. In the meantime I also realized i’m not too keen on the super slack actual ST angle.
    I stumbled upon the Orbea Occam H20 which would be just about perfect. Messaged a few dealers and everyone says they can’t order the 2021 model anymore… I really like the Giant Trance X 29 2 as well. Same thing, shops can’t order the 2021 model anymore. I also like the new Canyon Spectral 29 CF7, but it’s a bit too expensive and I feel like it’s a bit too much bike. I also like the Vitus Escarpe 29 CRS, but I have no idea when it will be available, and when I change the country from the UK to Hungary on CRC or Wiggle the price goes up by like 700 pounds.

Any other ideas? In terms of specs I just want decent suspension, Deore/SLX or GX drivetrain, decent brakes would be nice, and hopefully not super junk OEM wheels.
    I’m starting to feel like my only option would be to snag up a 2022 model if something comes out in July/August, but I have no idea if the manufacturers will catch up by then.

jairaj

The advice I’m getting from the uk shops is that there is such huge demand for bikes that even when the deliveries come in stock later on the summer they will all be snapped up.

The queue is constantly getting bigger so you have to get in the queue and mark your spot now if you want a chance later on in the year.

You can’t wait till later on in the year when stock arrives and then decide to buy one then.

dumbbot
    Free Member

If you are based in Europe, what about Radon bikes? From Bike discount.de

https://www.radon-bikes.de/en/mountainbike/fullsuspension/slide-trail/

intheborders
    Free Member

You live in the EU, I’d be looking at EU shops/online otherwise you’re getting involved in additional costs etc.

joebristol

EU shops for you I reckon – YT Izzo / Radon Skeen / Canyon Neuron are all short/mid travel trail sort of bikes. The Izzo is probably leaning towards ‘down country’ I guess – so probably the fastest cross country.

muggomagic

As above there are good options from YT and Canyon. If you aren’t in a rush to get up the hills the spectral looks like a great bike. I’ve been watching Jack Moir’s youtube and that bike rips (obviously the rider helps). The new Specialized stumpjumper carbon comp comes in at £3500 so might be worth considering if you can find one locally. They have the Alu versions cheaper but that doesn’t have the new flex stay suspension which seems to be going down well (with the exception of Guy Kes 😀 )
    The new Ibis Ripley AF could also be worth a look. Might be a bit over the budget but the Ripley has always been a really well thought of bike.

hollyboni
    Free Member

Thank you everyone!

So…

The queue is constantly getting bigger so you have to get in the queue and mark your spot now if you want a chance later on in the year.

You can’t wait till later on in the year when stock arrives and then decide to buy one then.

I’d like to get in a queue, but most of the time I just can’t. For example as I said I messaged Giant and Orbea dealers, they simply said they can’t order the 2021 models and that’s it. No queue for the 2022 models, no pre order, no reserving etc. I messaged CRC if they know when the Vitus Escarpe is going to be in stock again, and I got an automatic message back saying they can’t provide information about product availability dates, no pre orders, no reserving etc. Same for YT, the website just shows everything as out of stock and that’s it.

The Canyon Neuron looks okay, but it feels a bit outdated and TBH i’m a bit afraid of “cheaper” carbon Canyon frames, i’ve heard some horror stories. YTs look good but everything is out of stock and I can’t even see the prices. The Radon Skeen Trail and Slide Trail look pretty good on paper, but i’ve read that the frames are not really there in terms of quality, for example i’ve read a review where even with the stock setup the rear flexed so much that the tyre rubbed the seat stays. And that headtube… The Stumjumper looks good but it’s way out of my price range, and with the alu version I get NX for like €3100…

Am I being picky? 😥

BTW as far as I know, we don’t have to pay any import taxes or VAT etc. for stuff coming from the UK.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you looked at this?
    https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/bikes/trail/hugene/

Little bit over budget and the base model doesn’t have a dropper, but it’s arguably more like a mid-range spec anyway.

No idea on availability though.

hollyboni
    Free Member

Have you looked at this?
    https://www.propain-bikes.com/en/bikes/trail/hugene/

Little bit over budget and the base model doesn’t have a dropper, but it’s arguably more like a mid-range spec anyway.

No idea on availability though.

Yes, awesome bike, bit out of budget. I wish they had an AL version like on the Tyee.

joebristol

If you’re effectively ruling out all the German direct brands and you’re not worried about importing from the UK then maybe look at the Bird Aether 9C / 9A or the Aether 7. Depending on if you want 29er or 27.5” wheels?

Both are firmly in the trail end of things rather than xc – 140mm front / 130mm rear travel. Decent steep seat angles, nicely slack head angles. Fairly lengthy reach but with short seat tubes so you’ll have a few frame size options based on your preference for reach.

I’ve got an Aether 7 and had another bird before that (Aeris 145LT) and the service is great when you’re in the UK and there’s a decent Facebook owners page etc. Quality of the frames is pretty good and all the bearing hardware is sensibly sized / easily available.

Looking at prices you can select euros on the website at it’s the alloy 9 you’d have to go for with your budget – the 9C with the carbon frame even at the cheapest end is about 400 euros too expensive.

They do Sram or Shimano builds and Fox or Rockshox suspension. You can spec pretty much each component individually based on budget / availability of parts.

https://www.bird.bike/product/aether-9-shimano-12-speed/#configuration

muggomagic

The Stumjumper looks good but it’s way out of my price range, and with the alu version I get NX for like €3100…

Am I being picky? 😥

I don’t know what fork and shock the alu stumpjumper has but I’d be prioritising that over what drivetrain it comes with. I bought an Ibis Ripmo AF for exactly that reason. It was £2800 with an NX groupset but has DVO suspension and a really nice wheelset. You can then upgrade the drivetrain as it wears out.

hollyboni
    Free Member

Yeah the Aether 9 looks sweet, but it’s a bit over budget. Even with a pretty mild bild, Pike, Select+RT ,SLX, M1900 wheels, Bird dropper, it’s €3500 + shipping.
    Maybe i’ll have to up my budget a bit…

I don’t know what fork and shock the alu stumpjumper has but I’d be prioritising that over what drivetrain it comes with. I bought an Ibis Ripmo AF for exactly that reason. It was £2800 with an NX groupset but has DVO suspension and a really nice wheelset. You can then upgrade the drivetrain as it wears out.

I’m not a drivetrain snob at all but i’d really like at least GX when it comes to SRAM. I know I can always upgrade later but i’d like to buy things once. Yeah the cassette and chain and chainring wears out, but even if I wanted to go XD i’d need to change out the freehub for example.
    The wheelset on the Alloy Comp is some kind of OEM thing with who knows what kind of hubs. It comes with a 34 Rhythm and a DPS Performance which is nothing special in this price range.
    It’s a cool frame but I feel like i’m paying for the name and the value is kinda meh. I’d just like a decent mid range build with GX/Deore/SLX with not completely no name wheels and decent suspension. A lot of brands offer that in this price range but again the issue is stock…
    I didn’t even know Ibis was a thing in Europe, i’ll check it out.

joebristol

It sounds like you have a desire for the kit you get on the German direct brands at 3000 euros, but want something you perceive to be a better quality frame / possibly with more modern geo then the shorter travel models have. I think you either need to up budget, accept slightly lower spec components / get over the German brand concerns.

Maybe as another thought you could try Cube from one of the German online retailers – as a shop sold brand they’re one of the closest in spec to the direct brands for the cost. Not always the most progressive geo but maybe they’ve got better (I haven’t looked). Stereo 120 or 150 perhaps?

Edit – just looked at the Cubes and they still don’t look the most progressive. The 150 for trail might work – 66 degree headangle / 75 degree seat angle – but they don’t quote the reach on the bike shop site I found – just ett. Just over 3k Euros sees gx eagle, Magura brakes, carbon front triangle and a Lyrik of some description on there. So good value on components.

hollyboni
    Free Member

It sounds like you have a desire for the kit you get on the German direct brands at 3000 euros, but want something you perceive to be a better quality frame / possibly with more modern geo then the shorter travel models have.

I think so, but those bikes exist, the problem is stock. For example I could get an Orbea Occam H20 for around €3000 with a brake upgrade. Sweet geo, beautiful frame, 34 Performance fork with DPS Performance shock, Deore, SLX and XT bits, 4 pot Deore brake upgrade, not too bad wheels with RaceFace rims and Shimano hubs. Or I could get a Giant Trance X2 for the same price. Awesome frame, awesome geo, slightly lower end spec. But again, zero stock. I thought maybe there are more bikes like these and I just simply don’t know about them. The alu YT Jeffsy looks awesome, but again I have no idea how much they cost because everything is out of stock on the website and it doesn’t even show prices (as far as I can see). I don’t have a problem with German direct to consumer brands/bikes, i’m just a bit afraid of “cheap” carbon FS frames, but that might be dumb. For example if Canyon had a slightly more modern Neuron with an alu frame in the €2600-3000 price range, i’d be all over it.

I’ll check out Cube, thanks.

muggomagic
    hollyboni
    Free Member

Vitus stock update

https://vitusbikes.com/pages/2021-vitus-bikes-stock-availability

Damn that’s pretty good! Unfortunately while I wouldn’t have to pay import taxes for stuff coming from the UK, when I change the country from the UK to Hungary on CRC or Wiggle the price of the Escarpe 29 CRS goes from 2700 pounds to 3270 pounds… CRC said it’s due to different marketing strategies and VAT rate. I bought a bunch of stuff from Wiggle in the past and I don’t think the price jump was this big. 😥

grahamt1980

Commencal?
    Meant to have stick in April or May. I hope anyway

joebristol

I think so, but those bikes exist, the problem is stock. For example I could get an Orbea Occam H20 for around €3000 with a brake upgrade. Sweet geo, beautiful frame, 34 Performance fork with DPS Performance shock, Deore, SLX and XT bits, 4 pot Deore brake upgrade, not too bad wheels with RaceFace rims and Shimano hubs. Or I could get a Giant Trance X2 for the same price. Awesome frame, awesome geo, slightly lower end spec. But again, zero stock. I thought maybe

Just taking the above and comparing to the Aether 9 – for just under 3300 euros you get the pike select rc. Compare this to the 34 performance and the Pike is a better fork – it has a better chassis and air spring – and the dampers in both forks are ifp ones with similar adjustability. I’d take the pike everyday of the week.

In the quote I did that was upgrading deore m6100 to Guide RE so you basically have a lightweight G2 lever but with DH 4 pot calipers on them.

Comparing wheels thats DT Swiss M1900 wheels – so I’d say they have better rims then the Orbea and the hubs need less maintenance. The majority of Shimano hubs are cup and cone and if they go loose / dirt gets in and you don’t catch it in time then the hubs are a write off basically.

The Bitd has a full deore 12 speed drivetrain so lower spec than the Orbea.

I specced a 170mm dropper and Maxxis WT tyres in that price plus an upgrade to 200/180 rotors. I’d say the rear shocks are much of a muchness.

Right now you’re doing well to find anything in stock tbh – just grab what you can whilst it’s available and get it in time to ride during the summer. Otherwise you could be waiting for ever more.

Cube have less modern geometry for sure – but for trail riding it looks ok – assuming the reach isn’t ludicrously short. Good spec for the money on them too.

Just my 2p

hollyboni
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what i’m afraid of, i’ll wait forever and miss the summer entirely… But getting a bike that i’m not too stoked on just because it was in stock sucks as well. For example a Giant dealer told me that the 2022 models were supposed to come out in mid August, and Orbea usually releases new models in July-August as well. But who knows if you’ll be able to buy the bikes immediately, what kind of specs they’ll have, and if they’re going to jack up the prices or not.

The Bird is a very strong contender. In my build I went full SLX with SLX 4 pots and that came out to €3500 (+shipping which is 140 pounds). The Deore build with REs for €3300 is pretty good.

Both the Orbea and the Giant have low end Shimano hubs. I watched a video about the rear hub and to my surprise they use cartridge bearings. The engagement is pretty nice as well for such cheap hubs. The M1900 wheelset is certainly nice, although it uses the 3 pawl system with pretty crappy engagement and changing it out to the ratchet system isn’t cheap. But I see so many “no name” wheelsets on bikes in this price range that i’d be perfectly happy with M1900s.

BTW I still have a Rose Root Miller 2 on order. 😀 Nothing special but pretty nicely made alu Horst link frame, Pike with 2.1 Charger, Select + piggyback shock, Formula Cura 4 brakes with 200/180 rotors, M1900 wheels, DHR2s, Deore/SLX/XT mix, Rose dropper all for €2600. But the delivery has been pushed back to late August and i’m not too stoked on the slack STA (long legs). They might also change up the specs now because they simply can’t get the parts for the current specs.

Checked Commencal, the Meta TR is a sweet looking frame but again the €3000 build is pretty meh when it comes to components. 😥

hollyboni
    Free Member

OK, turns out I had the wrong information, we have to pay VAT + import taxes on stuff coming from the UK. Bird is out…

joebristol

Balls! I suspected that would be the case as you’ll have to pay your country’s rate of vat. Duty varies I think depending on the origin of the parts / how much is considered as manufactured in country.

Shame the Cube bikes aren’t slightly more progressive – although for trail riding the stereo 150 probably is ok.

Out of the short travel stuff I like the look of the YT Izzo but seems like that’s not available and no indication when it will be.

muggomagic

Think you will have to accept that Orbea and YT are out of the running as they’re all sold out.
    Of the bikes available or available in the coming weeks/months I’d put the Spectral or the Meta tr at the top.
    The spectral is over budget but they do offer the Klarna payment which might give you enough time to save up. If not I’d get the best Meta you can afford as that is a great frame and ripe for upgrading as and when you can.

hollyboni
    Free Member

Think you will have to accept that Orbea and YT are out of the running as they’re all sold out.
    Of the bikes available or available in the coming weeks/months I’d put the Spectral or the Meta tr at the top.
    The spectral is over budget but they do offer the Klarna payment which might give you enough time to save up. If not I’d get the best Meta you can afford as that is a great frame and ripe for upgrading as and when you can.

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know about Klarna. I could save up, it’s not just about that, the €3000 budget is also a “mental cap”, it’s so much money to me already. 😅

hollyboni
    Free Member

Norco Fluid FS 1? I found a few local shops that have it listed (no idea about actual stock) on their website for just under €2800.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2021/mountain/trail/fluid-fs/fluid-fs-1/

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘FS trail bikes around €3000?’ is closed to new replies.