FS: Parlee Z3 Frameset M/L (56cm)

Home Forum Classifieds – For Sale FS: Parlee Z3 Frameset M/L (56cm)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • FS: Parlee Z3 Frameset M/L (56cm)
  • LardLover

I bought this frame 2nd hand a while back, after much deliberation because I worried it may just be on the small side for me. I measured it against what I was riding at the time, the only difference was about 10mm in top-tube length and 20mm in standover height. Thought I’d take the risk as they don’t come up for sale that often. Anyway, after turning 40 I promised myself I’d go and get measured up professionally as I by that time I was in full-on roadie mode (still am by the way). So, after getting measured yesterday turns out that the frame is too small for me and I need a longer top tube 🙁

A little disappointed as I have been riding this frame, for plenty of long rides (100 + milers) without any problems, which makes me think do I really need to go up a size? Aesthetically speaking I have a load of seatpost sticking out, but it is a compact frame. Despite being in love with this bike I always have the nagging feeling that I should be on a larger frame, which now having had a professional fit makes that thought ever present.

So, it will break my heart, I won’t be replacing it with a larger Z3, I’ll be going for something else (much cheaper!), here’s the info:

2007 Parlee Z3 frame. All the geometry you could want is HERE

Parlee are the only company to offer a LIFETIME WARRANTY on their frames (well, the Z1, 2 and 3 – not sure about the others). They also offer a warranty transfer if you sell it on. You do have to send the frame back to Parlee for inspection (cost me $250) but for peace of mind it was worth it.
    When I sent it back to Parlee I decided I wanted to make the frame ‘mine’ as opposed to someone elses that I bought so I had the frame refurbed (as they call it). Whilst there I went for painted decals as opposed to stick-on decals (at considerable cost).

The frame has Ti dropouts and a Ti BB shell insert. It’ll come with a Chris King Sotto Voce headset and a pair of custom painted 3T full carbon forks (to match the frame).

Here’s a pic of me with the frame before I had the forks resprayed, as you can see, there’s quite a bit of post sticking out:

Here’s a smaller one of the bike as it is now:

LINK to me actually riding it for the 4th time this year at the Fred Whitton (at the top of Newlands Pass) – without the full carbon clinchers! I’m the one behind 😉

Price you may be asking by now??

£1250

pompeydave

Hmmm……message sent

Err, fit a 10mm longer stem?

LardLover

I suppose I could, and get a post with some lay-back.
    Doesn’t make it more aesthetically pleasing though does it? Especially when it’s under me.

martinxyz

You look like you’re 6ft. How tall are you? Nice bike.

I suppose I could, and get a post with some lay-back.
    Doesn’t make it more aesthetically pleasing though does it? Especially when it’s under me.

Shouldnt all this have been resolved at your bike fit?

theboatman

Check out phillippe gilbert bmc on road cc, he’s 6ft and riding a 51cm frame. His stem is 140mm mind.

LardLover

@martinxyz – spot on my friend.

@davidtaylforth – it was resolved at the bike fit, hence why I’m selling this frame. Had I had the bike fit before I bought the Parlee (2nd hand off eBay) then I would have known, but seeing as I hadn’t and I was just comparing geometry with what I was riding at the time I took a gamble. I was new to road riding after packing in mountain biking, and wasn’t sure I would stick to it, hence not having a bike fit sooner. But now I’ve been a full time roadie for the past few years (and loving it) I decided now was the time to splash out and get a proper assessment (as I’m not getting any younger or any more supple).

@theboatman – really??!! 6ft on a 51cm frame. There’s hope for me yet, and perhaps a 10mm longer stem may be the order of the day

theboatman

yep, seems bonkers

Is that an inline seatpost you are running? Anyhow if i wasn’t a short arse, i would bite your hand off, that’s a lovely piece of kit. Certainly wasn’t suggesting you shouldn’t sell yours though, if you just have that new bike itch, get it scratched!

LardLover

Gilbert’s seat doesn’t look that high for only being a 51cm frame?! Perhaps he’s got short legs……………unlike me and my gangly 34″-ers

Yes, inline post is used, I don’t like the look of lay-back posts. I’ve pimped a 3T Doric LTD (removed the decals – also pimped the 3T ARX Team stem – now it’s minus the red stripe).

Remember, the price is frame/fork/headset only………………might be a post too if I get it sold and get this ‘other’ bike.

What I meant is, surely the bike fitter should have decided whether an inline or layback post is best for you to achieve optimum position on the bike.

FWIW inline posts look daft on road bikes!

LardLover

The bike fitter knew my concerns about the size of the frame. He’s someone I trust a lot and value his opinion. If he says I should be on a frame with a 58cm I can’t argue with that. What do I know?

Still don’t agree with you regarding in line posts on a road bike though 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘FS: Parlee Z3 Frameset M/L (56cm)’ is closed to new replies.