Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • FS mtb for 11 year old
  • squealer
    Free Member

A friend has asked me about a bike for his small 11 year old son so I’m looking for some advice

I previously asked on here for my son who is also 11 but bigger and ended up getting him a small scott genius so i have lots of knowledge of small bikes for 5’3″ children but no knowledge of smaller!

He’s under 5′ so is definitely going to need an xs frame and wants a FS to be able to ride with my son. So far i’ve found:

The liv range (womens bikes)
    Cube stereo rookie
    Canyon spectral women
    Norco sight youth

Does anyone have any recommendations of anything else? His dad ideally wants to get an adult bike not a 24″ youth which he’ll outgrow in a year.

Before anyone says it, i’ve told him there’s literally Zero chance of getting anything before xmas as well!

happybiker
    Free Member

I can’t imagine an 11 year old on a 24″ bike unless they’re really short. My son has been riding a small 27.5 frame/fork with 26″ wheels and 150mm cranks since his 9th birthday.

I did look briefly, there’s Canyon, YT and Norco doing bikes that small but none are cheap. Perhaps an older adult frame in small or xs?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Trek Ex junior.
    Perfect

bikegeeks.com
    Free Member

Following.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

Totally against the op but surely a hard tail is what a young whippersnapper should be riding? How’re they going to learn how to ride properly if they start off on a skills compensator?

stevextc
    Free Member

so is definitely going to need an xs frame

S or XS doesn’t mean much or anything…

has been riding a small 27.5 frame/fork with 26″ wheels and 150mm 145mm cranks since from his 9th birthday.

and its a very long S …

intheborders
    Free Member

Does anyone have any recommendations of anything else? His dad ideally wants to get an adult bike not a 24″ youth which he’ll outgrow in a year.

Another option is a small 27.5 FS and then get a set of 26″ wheels/tyres.
    I did an equivalent with an Identity Dr Jekyll HT. Ran 24’s until the youngest was tall enough for 26’s.

weeksy

Liv Embolden was perfect for my lad at that age. Only for 8 months though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘FS mtb for 11 year old’ is closed to new replies.