• This topic has 18 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • FS bike- Whyte G170, S150 or possibly T130
  • cokie

Decided to bring another FS bike back into my life.
    If I keep the Solaris, then I can afford a mid-range FS bike too.
    The FS bike is for bigger days out, mainly trail centers, bike parks, enduro races and some local bits (Ridgeway).

A Whyte t130 would do me well as an all-rounder and won’t be overbikes for local loops on the Ridgeway (I used to have one), but then might struggle on uplifts, races and trail centres..
    The G170 & S150 are clearly a lot of bike for the local stuff but then I can use the Cotic.
    What will they be like on bigger days in the hills? Are they okay to ride up by winching?
    Then it comes down to 29er wheels or 650b… little lost on this.
    The ‘S’ spec for both seem to weigh around 33.5lbs, which seems plenty reasonable, even for Swinley. Price wise, they are all the same price in ‘S’ for 2018 models.

Thoughts please! Any bike’s I’m missing that are direct comparison?

timbog160

I have a G170, and previously a G160. Both have been great – really very fast downhill but personally haven’t found normal riding a problem, provided you’re just happy to sit and winch. If anything the G170 feels a little less extreme than the 160 did though I haven’t checked the numbers.
    I’m sure they are all great bikes though, but I do think the long travel G models don’t seem quite as popular – and this seems to lead to more of them in stock come discounting time. The 170 has acres of tyre clearance so you could mess about with wheels and tyres to your hearts content….!

lawman91

Got a T130 and a MK5 Soul and they complement each other perfectly. I’ve ridden the S150 (and older G160) and unless I wanted “more” bike than the Soul, rather than just an FS equivalent, a T130 would be (and was) my choice. I’ve hammered the T130 and it is a brilliant all-rounder and I’ve seen several beefed up with 150mm forks, and beefier tyres both of which are simple changes, with an air-spring swap all that’s needed for the fork. Personally I’d have to want a bike purely for uplift/enduro racing to justify a G170, the T130 has handled everything I’ve thrown at it including the odd enduro-race or two. S150 splits the difference nicely but still felt a bit much for a lot of centres and gentler natural rides.

mboy
    Free Member

S-150 C RS… If you can wait, I know of one that will be going cheap in a few months! 😉

What you really want though, is an Evil Offering! :-p

Either way… You know where to find me!

Oblongbob

Got an s150crs. It’s done me well for Strathpuffer, the west highland way in a day, uplift at inners and a couple of enduros. So, basically a bit of everything. Found it plenty good covering the ground efficiently on a big day (95 miles with 12,000’ of climbing) and obviously good on the downs. Rims on mine seem to be made of cheese is my only complaint, so been replaced with some hunt wheels.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Got a G160 and recently got a T130 S.

This year’s 130 has a 140mm fork with a bigger offset which is meant to make it even better, never ridden the old one to compare. Have set faster times on the 130 on off-piste Glentress and Innerleithen stuff than the 160, not the super steep or super gnarly stuff though. Wouldn’t hesitate to point it down anything I would do on the 160 though.

The 130 is such a fun bike, it would be between that and the S150 as a do everything bike. If I was getting a single bike it would have been the 150 but as I’ve kept the 160 the 130 was the better fit for me. Was pretty close to getting the S120 but as I’m quite heavy I decided against 29er wheels for the extra flex when jumping, destroyed the mech and a few spokes on my old T129 when landing a badly timed (very small) tailwhip. Know they have got more stiff since then but didn’t take the risk.

weeksy

Banjo in Newbury have demo bikes. You’re more than welcome to take my t130 out for a weekend. I’m away from Sunday to Wed for Xmas and won’t be taking it with me if you want it mate?

joebristol

I don’t know about the Whyte bikes, but most enduro bikes in general are fine for long day rides as long as you’re just ready to sit and spin in the way up but hoon it on the downs. My bike is 170f/160r with a long reach and just under 65 degree headangle. I did a near 50k ride at Brechfa in the summer and loved it. That same trip I did an xc ish ride at Afan and an uplift day at BMCC. Bike smashed the lot!

On a 130mm bike the Brechfa / Afan rides would have presumably been a bit easier on the ups, but nowhere near as good on the uplift day. My mate was on a 140/134mm bike and I had a go and it was like a hardtail in comparison at BMCC.

If you have a decent hardtail already I’d be inclined to go for the longer travel bike from what you’ve described. But go and get some test rides to check you’re happy with long / low / slack as it’s not for everyone.

ravingdave

I love my t130 been to trail centres all over uk and BPW and other parks. Its sadly for sale to pay for extending my wifes maternity leave id your interested? Shameless plug i know!

nbt

What size @ravingdave? I got myself one recently a love it. If i could pick up a small framed one for nrs nbt that would be great…

stugus
    Free Member

I’ve a T130 as a do-it-all and its been fine at BMCC and Bike park wales, I’ve swapped out the tyres for some maxxis and some slightly beefier wheels but struggling to find fault with it generally. Its been surprisingly capable.
    I guess if you’re more into the bigger, rougher, black routes you’ll find its lmitations but for most its pretty rapid. I’m running stock Yari 130 front and the standard shock it came with on the rear.
    Stu

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve got a Whyte S150 C RS up for sale if you’re interested

I drive past Swinley fairly regularly so could arrange a meet if you wanted

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2479637/

neilc1881
    Free Member

My S150s gets used for everything, Alps, regular trips to BPW, South Wales DH spots, trail centres, natural stuff on the mountains. It is a bit much bike for the smoother trail centres but is quick.
    I’m currently wondering whether the G170 would be better for a bit more downhill/bike park riding and use my hardtail for everything else. Anyone ridden both?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Long travel enduro bikes can do everything now. They’re not the quickest uphill, but they still pedal OK, and they never feel like not enough bike on the descents.

I prefer to sacrifice a bit of speed when climbing for the ability to never feel under biked elsewhere. I might feel different if I didn’t live near to a decent bike park (Wind Hill) and some fairly technical natural trails on the Mendips.

As you already have a bike suitable for easier trails, I’d go for the 170. It opens up, or makes much more enjoyable, a lot of the harder stuff, that would feel a bit hard work or slow on a 130mm bike.

JP

ravingdave

Hi @nbt mine is a medium. 17″ frame i think are

nbt

Cheers but need a small, mine is a medium and it’s great for me but to big for mrs nbt

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ive got a g160rs . and toyed with changing it over the past 6 months for a S150 as I have a plus bike too , BUt when I manged to demo one I have to say for me the 160 was better in terms of fit and ride. A friend who i ride with has the 130 and again with a little fork boost to 140mm he sees no reason to change it. From what people say on the Whyte riders page on FB, the 160 is a better all rounder than the 170. Id be very tempted to get a leg over the new G170 crs 29er though .. sounds like a personal teleportation device ..

1timmy1
    Free Member

The 2019 T-130 geo is like a full on enduro bike with less travel, and they boosted fork to 140mm. Looks like a bike that could be a jack of all trades. One review did say the S model I think, had heavy wheels, but they can be upgraded in the future.

cokie

Thanks all! Lots of food for thought.
    Think I’ll arange a demo for the S150 and possibly g170. I had a T130 for a couple years. Thanks again 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘FS bike- Whyte G170, S150 or possibly T130’ is closed to new replies.