Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Fryday challenge: transporting fish and chips
  • Pook

My brother in law has the best fish and chip shop in the north of England.

My wife is heavily pregnant.

My wife would like some of Alex’s fish and chips.

We’re in Sheffield. The chippy is in Pudsey.

How can I transport fish and chips from Pudsey to Sheffield so they

a) remain warm
    b) don’t go soggy ?

STW geniuses, do your thing!

Drac

Transport the wife to the chip shop?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Drac says, nothing else will work.

martinhutch

nothing else will work.

Wrong!

Buy deep fat fryer, cordage and gaffa tape.

Kidnap BiL, drive him to Sheff and put him to work in her garage.

She’ll wonder forever how you did it, too.

slowoldman

Impossible. Fish and chips are like sweetcorn – need to be eaten immediately after picking.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Helicopter.

trumpton
    Free Member

wrap them up in silver foil? I baked a jacket spud once for a ride and wrapped it up in this stuff. It was still quite hot after 2 hours!

thepurist

martinhutch

Or. Get box from BiL’s chippy. Drive to local chippy. Put fish and chips into BiL’s box, present to pregnant lady and lie through your teeth. Everyone knows pregnancy affects your sense of taste. Don’t they?

nealglover
    Free Member

Which Chippy is it ?
    Could do with a decent chippy and not too far from pudsey.

👍

windydave13
    Free Member

Given I struggle to meet your criteria on my 3min walk from the chippy home, I think you’re doomed especially on the fish front

tomhoward

What nealglover said

stumpy01

windydave13 Subscriber

Given I struggle to meet your criteria on my 3min walk from the chippy home, I think you’re doomed especially on the fish front

You could ask that they wrap the fish separately from the chips, as that will stop the steam from the chips speeding-up the soggy fish inevitability.

But, I suspect they will be cold & soggy anyway.

You could ask for fish in flour, rather than batter if they offer that; less likely to go soggy IME, but that’s based on a max 5min journey.

Kahurangi

Tell her she’s being silly and unreasonable.

Your fish & chips problem will be no more.

wwaswas

bunging them in a really hot oven for a few minutes can revive them agree on separate wrapping for fish v chips.

Cougar

Is your wife bolted to the floor? Place wife in car, drive to chippy, buy chips, eat chips, drive home.

bearnecessities

Sorry, BiL does not own TBFACSITNOE. A small Chinese man does.

(and it’s close to Pudsey)

The Trawler

On your conundrum, separate fish and chips, both in boxes and reheat in oven. Done it before many times and it’s fine 🙂

Edit: I’m driving past Sheffield (M1) on Sunday lunchtime; happy to swing by Pudsey beforehand and pick some up.

tonyplym
    Free Member

separate fish and chips, both in boxes and reheat in oven.

This, but also use a bigger-than-it-needs-to-be box, and fill the void with shredded newspaper or similar, which will absorb some of the steam and reduce the soggyness of the bagged fish and chips.

croe
    Free Member

Get your brother in law to bottle 5l of oil from his fryer and post to you. Meanwhile visit best local fish monger and buy 2 fillets of the finest freshest haddock they have, greengrocer for some large maris piper potatoes and make your own!

qwerty
    Free Member

Vespa GTS’s have heated a fish & chip compartment under the seat.

Bunnyhop

Congratulations to Mrs. Pook.

As others have said, pop wifey in car, drive over and enjoy your delicious lunch, hot and fresh.

Pook

It’s The Bearded Sailor in Pudsey. Blimmin’ brilliant it is

hols2
    Free Member

Drive to fish and chip shop. Buy fish and chips. Drive home. By the time you have arrived home the pregnant woman will have changed her mind and will want fresh peaches or something instead.

slowoldman

Tell her she’s being silly and unreasonable.

What? This is a heavily pregnant woman we are talking about. OP has to be careful or he won’t be in a position to make her pregnant again.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Now considering trip from Devon to Pudsey, just to have fab fish and chips!

Pook

I might ask him to do a STW discount

sirromj

Thanks to this thread I had a really strong craving for chip shop chips while eating salmon kebab skewer things with rice and some white fish flakes for dinner. The OH is trying to lose weight so I’m really missing out on pie or fish and chips type meals 🙁

Rich_s

It’s The Bearded Sailor in Pudsey. Blimmin’ brilliant it is

Ha! I used to go there back when it was Manor chippy. Wavylines. Will make a note to try it next time I’m back over that way…

dallas95
    Free Member

Take loads of newspaper with you. More than you think is loads is probably enough. Then when bil has wrapped your fish and chips you overwrap with the newspaper. Once its a nice thick bundle you are good to go. Pudsey to Sheff should be 45 mins so food will be nice and hot

Pook

Update: The Bearded Sailor is in the top 20 UK Fish and Chip shops in the National Fish and Chip Shop Awards

https://www.nfff.co.uk/news/item/the-results-are-fin-uks-top-20-fish-and-chip-shops-announced

oh, and we had a baby boy

jkomo

Andthe baby name?
    Beardy?

jkomo

Congrats!

fasthaggis

Dolphin Takeaway, Duncannon, Country Tyrone

Is there a prize if you finish a whole one?

Nae Fife chippies in the top 20.
    The crafty Teuchters have outfried them

maccruiskeen

Andthe baby name?

Fritz

perchypanther
    Free Member

Fritz

Magnificent.

Would have been Donna if it was a girl.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Fryday challenge: transporting fish and chips’ is closed to new replies.