Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Frustrated, Norco/Evans Cycles content
  • colster808
    Free Member

The situation. I bought a Norco Sight frame secound hand. I’ve ridden it for a year and loved it.
    The problem is the linkarm had worn beyond repair and needs replacing along with the linkarm pivot bolts.
    The frustration. The only way to get the parts I need is through Evanscycles who after two weeks of ignoring me, I finally got through to someone who was helpful and said he could order the parts from Norco. Yay. I paid and the parts were ordered. A week later(yesterday) I get a generic email saying parts not available due to stocking error. Please ring to discuss alternatives! I’ve rung customer care twice and special orders only to be told no one’s sure what’s happening and they’ll ring me back. Never do.
    I’ve tried European, American and Canadian distributors with no luck so far.
    So if anyone has a spare Norco sight linkarm for a 2012/2013 Alloy Sight kicking about i’d gladly buy it from you.
    Yes this is a long stealth wanted ad! Sorry!

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s worth a shout out on social media, both Norco and Evans are on Facebook, otherwise Twitter may be useful.

I’ve found Norco/Evans to be very slow responding to queries via the usual channels, I emailed about bottom bracket compatibility a while back but no-one replied. A post on Facebook quickly brought the resolution I was looking for.

colster808
    Free Member

Hmm. Might be a plan. I’ve messaged Norco on FB but had no response.

I think I’ll give them another day to get act together and then try social media route.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

As a fellow Norco sight 2013 owner from Evans I share your pain. Nightmare with getting replies to mails and Norco themselves seem uninterested too. I would try slagging them off on social media as well!

Good luck !

mikekay
    Free Member

Been thinking about a new optic form Evans this is making me think twice, are norco’s generally reliable ?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Hmmm….

I’ve just bought a Norco Threshold. Beautiful bike, but this story is a bit worrying. Time to make use of their 30 day money back guarantee perhaps?

Also, Evans having exclusive rights to Norcos doesn’t help 🙁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah I think that’s the problem, it’s only Evans. The bikes are brilliant though, I’ve never had a problem with mine, I just tried to get hold of a bolt that had gone missing and they weren’t interested.

colster808
    Free Member

The bike when it worked was great…but this has put me off having another.

When new the bike would have been over 3k(obviously I didn’t pay anything like that for it) which in my mind should be sevicable for more than three years.

Evans have really shocked me with how unhelpful they’ve been except on the odd occasion when I’ve got through to someone who seems to give a s***

PJM1974
    Free Member

My own Sight is an excellent bike, I’m extremely impressed with it. The service from the Evans around the corner from my office was very good, I was dealt with by staff who were keen mountain bikers and they’ve earned my repeated custom since.

My Sight wasn’t perfect though. It was specced with a 38T/26T front chainring combination that makes absolutely no sense outside of East Anglia. A few component changes were required to unlock the bike’s potential, thankfully most of which were donated from my previous bike.

Evans plural seems to be more hit and miss, Norco isn’t the largest outfit either.

br
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Norco Threshold. Beautiful bike, but this story is a bit worrying. Time to make use of their 30 day money back guarantee perhaps?

Not just Norco but pretty much any FS that has proprietary suspension parts – my 2012 Cube Stereo frame has been scrapped because I can’t get hold of any the main pivot bushings and a recently bent main pivot destroyed them.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Social media for sure.

Luckily the Threshold has no suspension

curiousyellow
    Free Member

It does have that oversized(?) 3T hub flange which scores the fork leg when engaged though!

colster808
    Free Member

No one’s got a second hand linkarm then?

Lives in hope.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My Sight wasn’t perfect though. It was specced with a 38T/26T front chainring combination that makes absolutely no sense outside of East Anglia.

EH?

colster808
    Free Member

Evans have been in touch. The’ve offered me a swing arm for a different bike and asked me if it would be compatible. WTF

jimdubleyou

See if you can get hold of jameso of this parish. He’s in charge of Pinnacle, but he might know who the Norco person is…

PJM1974
    Free Member

27.5″ wheels + 38T front chainring is a PITA when you live in a hilly part of Kent.

colster808
    Free Member

Cheers Jim. Will try.

colster808
    Free Member

Oh. No idea how to find a forum member. Any know how I can get in touch with jameso to see if he can point me in the right direction?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

27.5″ wheels + 38T front chainring is a PITA when you live in a hilly part of Kent.

Isn’t that what the 26 is for?

I used* to ride 1×9, with a 38t, in the Peaks, MTFU.

*I also needed an arthroscopy on my knee at 21, may be related.

riddoch

Have a look on the Arkose thread(s) , I think I’ve seen him post an email address or it may be in his profile.

riddoch

Also, there’s a hilly part of Kent, who knew? 🙂
    /waves from accross the Sussex border/

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thanks for the chainring related chortles – I have no wish to abuse my knees further, so I swapped for a Shimano XT 32T crank and a Sunrace 11-42 cassette. Normal service has resumed.

🙂

chrismac

I would never buy a bike from Evans without it having a huge discount. In my experience their after sales service is appallingly bad and often made the situation worse. I always remembers them ‘fixing’ the chain slipping by setting the rear mech up so it worked as a 9 speed rather than a 10!!!

colster808
    Free Member

Just a quick update…Maria in customer care seems to be on the case with finding out what’s going on. She seems to be getting passed from department to department as well but at least she’s keeping me in the loop.

One of the most frustrating things has been getting completely conflicting information from people in the same departments. When I originally(finally) talked to special order so was told it wasn’t a problem to order the parts. Next time I talk to someone at special orders to see why parts no longer coming I’m told “oh we wouldn’t be able to order that from here as it’s a stock item”. No matter how many times I repeated that it’s not a stock item, I was referred to you, it did no good.

If I could afford to I’d junk the frame and buy something British but that’s not a option.

On another note the replacement linkarm is over £100 and the bolt kit is £30. This seems mega high to me compared to other companies ice delt with. I’m not sure if this is Norco or Evans but £30 for two bolts, two washers and two bearings is taking the piss 🙁

wwaswas

£30 for two bolts, two washers and two bearings is taking the piss

Sounds about standard, boutique brands will often charge more…

br
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this is Norco or Evans but £30 for two bolts, two washers and two bearings is taking the piss

Neither I guess, the Cube’s was +£40 – back to proprietary and not needing to know the sizes so you’re paying for parts and knowledge.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Adds norco the the list of never buying one, along with gt, commencal & evil.

colster808
    Free Member

Well I got a delivery date from Evans today after several calls and emails to them. ETD is 14/8/16! 3 months. Wow they must be walking it over from Canada.

Resorted to Dremmeling the stuck bearing race out of the rocker link and managed to cram a new bearing in. Hopefully it will keep me going till August.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

3 months! Hope the bearing holds!

PJM1974
    Free Member

I hope the OP doesn’t mind, but I’ve shared this link on Norco’s FB page.

I’m hopeful that they will reassure current and potential Norco owners about the supply of spare parts in a timely fashion and that they can improve the working relationship with Evans.

NB – the cost of a replacement bolt kit and bearings is about standard if my experiences with Specialized are anything to go by, £100 for a replacement linkage sounds about right too.

wilko1999
    Free Member

What an utter shower of shite. Had a very similar problem trying to get a BMC Supertrail mech hanger out of them a few years back.

colster808
    Free Member

I hope it holds too!

Don’t mind you sharing on Norco’s FB but I wouldn’t expect a response. I’ve direct messaged Norco twice and had a (restrained) rant on FB but had no response or comment.

Seems the cost of the replacements is about right then considering people’s comments. The only time I’ve had similar was when I needed a new chainstay for my Canyon nerve. That was £79 and came with new bearings and hardwhere foc after I asked! I remember at the time thinking what a hassle it was to get that part but it was relatively straightforward compared to this.

Tanglefist
    Free Member

If you still need it, I’ve got a spare rocker plate, but no bolts.

colster808
    Free Member

Oh yes please. Can you email me a pic and how much you’d like for it please. My email is colinbennell at Gmail dot com

PJM1974
    Free Member

Have also posted on Evans’ page now too.

Hopefully, both companies will be aware that quite a number of STWers who happen to be potential customers of both Norco and Evans will be watching this thread with interest.

Ah – just saw the post about a spare rocker link. STWers are clearly an awesome bunch!

colster808
    Free Member

😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Evans will probably just remove the Facebook post. Somebody will be employed just for that job…

colster808
    Free Member

Probably.

colster808
    Free Member

Well putting this thread on Evan’s face book led to a manager calling me tonight. Very apologetic and has promised to ring me back tomorrow. Let’s see how this goes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Frustrated, Norco/Evans Cycles content’ is closed to new replies.