Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Frozen the kids film.
  • molgrips
    Free Member

They don’t need to be films with a knowing wink and an eye on the grown ups in the way Pixar are.

That’s not what Pixar films are. They are just good films, and I appreciate that as an adult the same as my kids do. Producing dross on the basis that kids just won’t notice is just wrong, to me.

pictonroad

I’ve not seen it and was vaguely aware of its existence. Was told to buy a doll from the film for a niece’s birthday. Walked into town before work picked up said doll, thought nothing of it.

Turns out I’ve acquired, by accident, some sort of plastic Holy Grail. Apparently I can get 5x my money on eBay but I’m not allowed to sell it now.

Daughter being born tomorrow, got it all to come. 😆

Drac

Normally don’t mind a Disney film but thought Frozen was bloody awful. Mind you I did watch it after a really heavy night shift when I had the kids the next day put it on so they sat in the room while I chilled on the settee. Could be the reason I didn’t like.

winston
    Free Member

meh

its a sugar rush of a film – sweet and easy to digest but no long term nutrition. Like a bag of sweets kids want to watch it again and again but when the bags finished they will be sick of it.

My children have watched it about 10 times but will probably not bother again – Mary Poppins gets watched year in year out and they still watch Brave (a far more accomplished film) from behind the sofa during the bear fight

As an aside I’m also sick of the princess culture which seems to have invaded everything to the point that its that or nothing for 4-8 year old girls.

D0NK

thought Frozen was bloody awful. Mind you I did watch it after a really heavy night shift when I had the kids the next day put it on so they sat in the room while I chilled on the settee.

If a film kept my kids quiet while I chilled out trying to recover from a hangover I would ****ing love that film.
    Kids had a frozen phase, songs were good, story was ok (compared to kids telly plotholes were none existent) not got tangled but have been meaning to acquire it.
    Despicable me is great

iolo
    Free Member

Up beats all other animated movies

Drac

If a film kept my kids quiet while I chilled out trying to recover from a hangover I would ****ing love that film.

Me too I wasn’t hungover.

molgrips
    Free Member

My kids haven’t asked to watch it again…

GrahamS

Frozen is great, but so yesterday.

We’ve got the dolls, the dress, the books, the bedspread, and Lord help me, the singing Olaf.

But these days it’s all about How To Train Your Dragon.

We’ve got 8 DVDs covering the first two series of Riders of Berk and Defenders of Berk which are being watch in a continuous cycle.

Fortunately it’s pretty good and a happy break from Disney princesses.

And she got her first “Toothless” Build-A-Bear yesterday…

Drac

Oh bloody hell I’m going to have to distract my kids as we go past build-a-bear if they sport toothless.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Let it goat!
    [video]http://youtu.be/A_DaizJnnJQ[/video]

binners

The favourite in our house at the moment…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx5n21zHPm8[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

I haven’t seen HTTYD 2 yet.

Drac

It’s not bad Molgrips not sure it’s a good as the first but it’s Ok. My kids loved it and it provided a much valued family day out with the kids and the Mrs with a meal before hand, a rare thing at times.

mintimperial

My Facebook feed is full of my friends kids doing stuff, they’re all of an age with my son (6). The little boys do a wide variety of stuff, there’s no real overriding theme, it’s running, climbing, painting, fighting, cycling, swimming, reading, Lego, jigsaws, music, trains – all sorts.

The little girls? Frozen. The vast majority of updates from my friends about their female children aged 2-8 or so are related to that film and nothing else. Dressing up and/or singing the songs or just watching it on screen. It’s a bit weird, frankly. I’m sure it’s a good film (I’ve not seen it myself), but the universal obsession is slightly alarming and offputting.

Drac

I’m sure it’s a good film (I’ve not seen it myself), but the universal obsession is slightly alarming and offputting.

Let it go.

mintimperial

Yes, very good, well done. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Turn it off, turn it offff, I can’t take it any moooore..

GrahamS

Oh bloody hell I’m going to have to distract my kids as we go past build-a-bear if they sport toothless.

There’s a waiting list Drac! ((at least at the MetroCentre one)

We got ours by mail order.

johndoh
    Free Member

Having two 5 year old girls, I am bang in the middle of it. Yes they like the film and have a few dress-up costumes (some homemade, one each bought for them) but they also like other films, they like playing outside, riding their bikes, inventing games, drawing, doing craft stuff, loom bands.

You know, the things that kids do yeah?

I didn’t think it was a law that all films for kids had to appeal to adults too.

D0NK

Me too I wasn’t hungover.

whoops, read “heavy night”, missed the “shift” and jumped to wrong conclusion 🙂

The favourite in our house at the moment…

was going so well until Ferrel reared his eminently punchable head (and the story started getting weird)

Drac

There’s a waiting list Drac! ((at least at the MetroCentre one)

Phew!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

“Winter’s a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    But put me in summer and I’ll be a….. happy snowman!

Rrr Raht da daht dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah doo

When I finally do what frozen things do in (big finish) SUMMMER “

Hearing my 6 year old boy sing this with hilarious gusto and verve is the most delightful and heart-warming thing that brightens up any car journey. For that alone I am thankful for Frozen.

hora
    Free Member

Having two 5 year old girls

In 8yrs time I can sell you a shotgun/cartridges to keep next to your front door (not PP gift though if ok?).

johndoh
    Free Member

In 8yrs time I can sell you a shotgun/cartridges to keep next to your front door (not PP gift though if ok?).

This has crossed my mind. Fortunately my brother has 16 and 17 year old girls so I am watching his ‘issues’ with interest to (hopefully) arm me with the ammunition I will probably need…

binners

As the father of 2 girls, I’m presently putting together some Grand Designs style alterations to the house, also based on a popular kids film….

GrahamS

My favourite part of Frozen was when the wolves ate Dan alive after he broke both his legs jumping from the ski lift.

Not sure it’s a good kids film though. 😀

winston
    Free Member

I could really imagine a harassed dad getting that film delivered by amazon by accident, sticking it in the machine at a kids party without looking and then going back into the kitchen to prepare the food…..

….coming back in and they are all singing ‘let it goooooo’ as Dan dangles off a chairlift…

emsz
    Free Member

This has crossed my mind. Fortunately my brother has 16 and 17 year old girls so I am watching his ‘issues’ with interest to (hopefully) arm me with the ammunition I will probably need…

You sound like my dad, he had absolutely no idea….. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

ANNA & ELSA DOLL STOCK LEVEL ALERT!!!

Smyths Toys have Elsa dolls in stock! REPEAT – Smyths Toys have Elsa dolls in stock!

Just got mine ordered for collection tomorrow. £16.99 each. Which is a good job as it is my daughter’s birthday on Saturday and she is obsessed with the film.

Some profiteering b’stards are charging £70 in ebay for them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I didn’t think it was a law that all films for kids had to appeal to adults too.

It’s not, but it annoys me greatly that they can’t be bothered to do a good job on the writing and directing, just because it’s for kids and they will be dazzled by the songs. Writing is by far the cheapest and easiest thing to get right – there are enough good writers in the world. So why skimp on that?

As the father of 2 girls, I’m presently putting together some Grand Designs style alterations to the house, also based on a popular kids film….

Vector’s house would be awesome even without the weapons, and with tropical fish in place of the shark.

GrahamS

What was wrong with the writing mol?

I thought it was pretty good for a kids movie.
    Couple of nice jokes, drama, decent plot twist, and baddies with proper motives.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s not, but it annoys me greatly that they can’t be bothered to do a good job on the writing and directing, just because it’s for kids and they will be dazzled by the songs. Writing is by far the cheapest and easiest thing to get right – there are enough good writers in the world. So why skimp on that?

Because a writer has more freedom to write a story specifically for a particular type of child if they don’t try to cater for everyone?

And Frozen is a perfect example of that – a film that doesn’t particularly appeal to adults nor infant boys – it directly targets 4-8 yr old girls quite deliberately and by doing so it has captured the imagination of a huge proportion of them – making it the highest grossing animated film of all time.

So, scrimp or not, they have done very well out of it.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s quite a feminist film, really – the male “hero” is a bit of a dope, he rides to the rescue but doesn’t really do much rescuing.

But I’m sure none of that matters to my 4-year-old girl who is obsessed with it, and has to have the soundtrack on to fall asleep.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because a writer has more freedom to write a story specifically for a particular type of child if they don’t try to cater for everyone?

So you’re saying films that have a proper story do so at the expense of 5yo girls?

bencooper
    Free Member

There is a slight problem when kids films have adult jokes – you have to try to explain why you laughed.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I’ve only seen it once so I’m no expert

But it seemed like a well written/ crafted film to me – don’t get why some think the writing is shoddy

I’ve seen plenty of badly written kids films and Frozen isn’t one of them

johndoh
    Free Member

So you’re saying films that have a proper story do so at the expense of 5yo girls?

No, I am saying they wrote that particular film to appeal to a quite specific target audience.

My 5 yr old girls also like Star Wars, Despicable Me, Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, Tinker Bell…

I’ve seen plenty of baddly written kids films

RIO Bloody awful writing and painful jokes. The opening sequence with the animals in the jungle and the great soundtrack is brilliant then it plummets from then on in.

grievoustim
    Free Member

the worst I ever saw was a Fish/ Shark related one (not finding Nemo) featuring Will Smith voicing the hero. Involved an underwater car wash

All the jokes were aimed at adults – e.g. gangster sharks voiced by De Niro and Martin Scorcese. There was nothing for the kids at all – just lazy cultural references aimed at adults

johndoh
    Free Member

the worst I ever saw was a Fish/ Shark related one (not finding Nemo) featuring Will Smith voicing the hero. Involved an underwater car wash

A Shark’s Tale

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Frozen the kids film.’ is closed to new replies.