Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • Froome vs Wiggins
  • forzafkawi
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure last year but it’s pretty clear from today’s stage that Froome could have destroyed Wiggins in the mountains last year.

Froome must have been chomping at the bit for the last year at least for a chance to show what he could really do given a free rein. I can’t see any other GC contenders being able to put any pressure on him from here on in.

It will be interesting to see what he does from here in the Tour. Attack in the mountains and gain even more time or just control things with the team (like last year) and take time out of the other GC contenders in the time trials.

I suspect the latter will be the case.

RealMan
    Free Member

I was actually wondering what Wiggins would be thinking as he sits at home and watches the stage today.

Also, nice spoiler.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think he will attack at strategic times to just emphasise how he can if he wants to to deter anyone from really trying. They must all psychologically know that he is at a different level and there only hope is that he has a bad day. a really bad one.
    I reckon he will attack for all summit finishes but he does not really need to do anything – he is the fastest TT amongst the GQ as well so he has it in the bag

Once he has 5 mins or so he will just defend
    As for when he supported Wiggo the issue was more how he would cope for a whole Grand tour but he would certainly have a Vueleta – TdF I am less convinced off but we will never know for sure.

aP
    Free Member

Froome could have won 2 Grand Tours already – but then sky is not known for adapting to changing situations.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get spoiler in the bloody title!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

So a good stage in the tour today for Froome and it’s pretty clear he could’ve destroyed Wiggins in the tour last year and won 2 Grand Tours already , probably could’ve won a handful of Olympic golds as well. Must have been some great performance by him today then , I didn’t see it live and don’t think I’ll bother watching the highlights now you’ve told me the result . Thanks for that .

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well you’re going to miss some great cycling if you don’t.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I think it’s pretty unfair to say froome could have destroyed wiggins in last years tour.
    this years, yes, but last years had a lot more tt mileage in it.
    And are you seriously saying there was some form of team orders in the olympic time trial? Everyone gave it their all, and wiggins won.

emac65
    Free Member

If people are Ssoo upset by spoilers then keep off the bike channels as there’s a good chance someone will say something about it.Also looking at the name of the title,it’s kind of obvious what might be mentioned in it ….Just a thought like……..

Of course you could just carrying on regardless & moan about bloody spoilers all the time.I hear some people aren’t happy unless they’re moaning about something……. 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

TBH i think doing blatant spoilers is pretty low and a shitty thing to do
    I am not sure this is one mind from title alone

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Let me guess , I’m going to miss Froome riding away up the last climb and putting time into all the major contenders . Thanks but I’ll watch tomorrows stage live , that will do for me .

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

And are you seriously saying there was some form of team orders in the olympic time trial? Everyone gave it their all, and wiggins won.

If that was directed at me then no I was trying to be sarcastic , must’ve been too subtle for you 😆

milkyman
    Free Member

I think evans will win

shortcut

If your first spoiler was this thread I am honestly shocked. It’s been on the news etc. also reading the title should have given even the semi intelligent a clue that today’s first mountain stage may be mentioned.

It’s also all over Twitter and Faceache. It’s still worth a watch. Reminds me of the Likely Lads!!

Epic rides done by several and some not so epic performances from some of the favourites.

marko75
    Free Member

I have to agree – the highlights will be great. The attacking from other teams up the first climb. The descending speed of some riders and of course Porte smiling lots!

crikey
    Free Member

For goodness sake…

Every year, without fail, someone comes on to a bicycle website knowing full well that the days racing at the Tour will be discussed and gets all weepy when they find out the days result.

Stay away, simples.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Cheers, spoily mcspoilerson, I spent all day trying to avoid that. Anyhow, Wiggins vs Froome? Froomes certainly a better climber, and possibly the better rider, but I just can’t take to him. Yes I know, Wiggins can be a miserable get, but anyone who offers to do the raffle numbers whilst on the tour de France podium will always get my vote.

crazy-legs

Oh God, not this one again.

The plan in 2012 was for Wiggins to win the Tour. Not Froome, not Porte. Wiggins.
    He did and that’s a team effort.

Yes, there was the infamous bit where (according to Sky) he misheard Yates saying “slow” and instead thought he’d said “go” but other than that one bit, Wiggins put loads of time into him in the TTs and Froome was already 90 seconds down after that puncture early on on one of the stage finishes.

So no, he wouldn’t have won. Could have won yes had the team put all their weight behind him but that wasn’t the plan.

I’m in agreement about Sky being slow to adapt when their one and only plan doesn’t work (like at the Vuelta where Froome could definitely have won) and in fact if it wasn’t for time bonuses, he would have won. But you don’t hear this about any other team so why bang on about it with Sky? They have two strong riders, only one of them can wear yellow and last year, politically, it HAD to be Wiggins.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a bit early for your authoritarian post no ? Correct me if im wrong but im fairly certain theres another two weeks of having fun on bikes before anybody wins a tour de france.

Junkyard
    Free Member

crikey
    For goodness sake…

Every year, without fail, someone comes on to a bicycle website knowing full well that the days racing at the Tour will be discussed and gets all weepy when they find out the days result.

Stay away, simples.
    Yes its not like we have a thread on the race with spoiler on it meaning the result can be avoided and yet the topic discussed …well the polite folk do this

Its not hard to do this unless off course you are the kind of person who gets pleasure from ruining other folks plans/pleasure …are you really like that ? Do you really want to defend folk who do things to just ruin other folks fun?

I still dont think this is a spoiler title but i do think they should not be allowed

crikey
    Free Member

Junkyard, you are essentially suggesting that it’s up to everyone else to preserve your ignorance, and that you should take no personal responsibility for preserving it yourself?

Like, for example, not coming to a site where you know it is a topic of interest and will be discussed, and perhaps, maybe, not clicking to open a thread which has the name of one of the Tour favourites in it?

If you don’t want to know you stay away. If you can’t stay away don’t blame someone else.

Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest…

Junkyard
    Free Member

so you are one of the people who like to ruin other folks fun 😥

I feel sorry for you

As i noted the topics can easily be discussed without spoilers
    Spoliers are rarely accidental they are done deliberately by folk to ruin other enjoyment of the highlights
    Its sad that folk would enjoy doing this.

It is not hard to be able to discuss footie, TdF, F1 etc on here without giving the result way in a title and it happens all the time
    You do not have to take responsibility you simply have to not deliberately spoil it with a title

As for the stupid bit [ ohh you are so hurtful you nasty beastie :roll:] I would rather be “stupid” than an insensitive person who liked ruining other folks fun or someone who defended it then insulted those who were annoyed

crikey
    Free Member

Reply inna Junkyard style:

so you are one of the people who like to ruin other folks fun

There is no evidence for this supposition.

I feel sorry for you

Your sympathy is misplaced, see above.

Spoliers are rarely accidental they are done deliberately by fok ti ruin other enjoyment of the highlights

Again, there is no evidence of this, or of the malicious intent you seem determined to apportion.

As for the stupid bit [ ohh you are so hurtfull you nasty beastie :roll:] I would rather be “stupid” than an insensitvie person who liked ruining other folks fun

Again, there is no evidence of any attempt to ruin anyone’s fun, but an emerging picture of someone who is determined to find someone else to blame for his own oversight.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump; ‘Life is like a box of chocolates, if you don’t want to see chocolates, best not go to the chocolate shop and look in the chocolate box’

mattjg
    Free Member

good god you lot

bloodynora
    Free Member

Crikey you do realise said person has been permanently banned from another mtb website for arguing dont you!

Junkyard
    Free Member

EDIT: I dont post on other websites so I have not been banned anywhere if you meant me.

Reply inna Junkyard style:

But that was your only spelling error 😉

I hit big yesterday and I am really trying to give it up
    I shall let the hive mind decide on spoiling and [ given how easy it is to avoid doing] what motivates folk to do it

KennySenior
    Free Member

Junkyard knows that people only post thread titles that turn out to be spoilers deliberately, and never by accident.

With psychic powers as good as that it would be impossible to avoid any result anyway, so ‘spoilers’ make no difference whatsoever to him.

Therefore, junkyard is a troll.

🙂

scaredypants

I hate spoilers; it’s just inconsiderate

Not sure this thread is a good example though, unless the title has been modded (and it doesn’t look that way)

With a bit of thought from others we should be able to come on here without seeing the result of something. I do agree that you have to apply some common sense and I’d certainly not go opening a thread entitled “froome vs wiggins” on a day when froome’s been racing

mrmoofo

Does it matter?
    They were riding for a team … History would has been littered with “what ifs”
    Head to head, Froome might have won the mountains … but elsewhere?

cookeaa

….I can’t see any other GC contenders being able to put any pressure on him from here on in…

Bit early for such certainty init?

As for froome “destroying” Wiggins? The GC isn’t won simply on one storming stage… Who’s to say he’s not bolloxed himself for the next stage now?

As a rider froome is undoubtedly the beneficiary of the last 3 years of work and learning that sky as a Team that includes Wiggins, whether or not he’s competing in this years TDF this year…

zippykona

Surely Sir Chris?

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Bruce Willis is deed!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I reckon some of you guys would complain if someone gave you advance notice of the lottery numbers!

riderideride
    Free Member

if froome-dog blows them away on sun,the yellow is his….i saw no one in GC that could touch him apart from his own team mate,mr.porte an he’s 51 sec behind.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Apologies for my insensitivity not to include spoiler in the title, it wasn’t a deliberate act designed to spoil anyone’s enjoyment.

As others have said though I would have thought with Chris Froome’s name mentioned in the title it might have been a hint that the thread was relating to some event he was involved in today.

pop larkin,

Very droll… 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

any idea if there is a highlights show tonight?

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, on ITV4 and ITV4 +1, you just missed both..

Might be able to watch it on ITV player.

crazy-legs

Eurosport highlights on at 11pm tonight. Otherwise they’ll show it again tomorrow morning before Stage 9 coverage starts.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Froom v wiggins. Wiggins wins every time purely for his immense amount of cool. Froome looks like a 4th cat with an even higher stem and arms that mr elastic would be proud of. Not arsed, I hope Porte wins, at least he makes it look good.

And please nobody call him froome-dog.

RealMan
    Free Member

Froom v wiggins. Wiggins wins every time purely for his immense amount of cool. Froome looks like a 4th cat with an even higher stem and arms that mr elastic would be proud of. Not arsed, I hope Porte wins, at least he makes it look good.

And please nobody call him froome-dog.

I really hate to admit it, but this. A thousand times this.

However I’m willing to change my opinion should Froome become cooler.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Froome vs Wiggins’ is closed to new replies.