Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Froome fan
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Oh teh ironing. She can’t say what she likes but you can spout nonsense like that?

Well, if anyone can recognise nonsense, it’s certainly you so I’m not going to argue.

Lifer
    Free Member

Weak.

Bregante

I would though

tinsy
    Free Member

Bregante, I dont know you, but if I judge you by my own standards that means very little.. 🙂

er the sky team for the tour anyone?

Lifer
    Free Member

Won’t be announced yet. I reckon around the 20th we’ll start getting team selections.

tinsy
    Free Member

Thanks, I see Jonathan Tiernan-Locke is in the Tour de Suisse lineup, so from that I assume he wont make the tour linup. Bit early days at Sky too I suppose.

Lifer
    Free Member

Yeah anything could happen between then and now!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Carl Lewis ran fast and took drugs

You need to be a bit careful with remarks like this, and in the same breath as Ben Johnson. You imply he was cheating his way to victories.

He tested positive 3 times for low-level substances in 1988 but these were not bannable at the time as they were commonly used in cold medications. It’s not thought that was cheating. The situation is not dissimilar to that of Alain Baxter some years later, except that Alain lost his silver medal but received a great deal of public sympathy.

Lifer
    Free Member

You sure?

Carl Lewis has broken his silence on allegations that he was the beneficiary of a drugs cover-up, admitting he had tested positive for banned substances but claiming he was just one of “hundreds” of American athletes who were allowed to escape bans.

“There were hundreds of people getting off,” he said. “Everyone was treated the same.”

Lewis has now acknowledged that he failed three tests during the 1988 US Olympic trials, which under international rules at the time should have prevented him from competing in the Seoul games two months later.

The admission is a further embarrassment for the United States Olympic Committee, which had initially denied claims that 114 positive tests between 1988 and 2000 were covered up. It will add weight to calls by leading anti-doping officials and top athletes for an independent inquiry into the US’s record on drug issues.

samuri
    Free Member

I would though

+1

Not Froome though. I mean Wiggins obviously, but not Froome.

swavis

She spouts her nonsense on Twitter

Ahh, that’ll be why I’ve missed out, I don’t follow her.

I follow Wiggo, Cav and David Millar and of course Jens who is comedy gold. 😆

Lifer
    Free Member

I love Jens’ geotagging (geocaching?) updates.

chrismac

My main hope for the Tour is that contacheat does win.

atlaz
    Free Member

I am still not sure about that mountain at the TdF but I like the fact that Froome is a good TT rider and a superb mountain rider. If he wins the tour, it’ll be like Nibali at the Giro, setting his stall out with the TTs but really turning the screws when it gets lumpy.

I did like that last year he didn’t just sit behind Contator to keep him pegged but rode for the win to at least give the team a stage win. He may not have explained it well but it was a nice way to finish a stage when the domestiques rode their hearts out for him and a good way to show Contador who is boss.

maxlite
    Free Member

Well I like Froome and he is way more interesting to watch riding than Wiggo

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m no expert in this. And I’m not painting Lewis as 100% “hero” here, just a man of his time. He was “let-off” for reasons I stated above. This is not the same as the steroid abuse of Ben Johnson. As Lewis said, Johnson turned up at the track after the off-season and was “as big as a house”. There are degrees of culpability: The consensus was that Lewis was not cheating; Johnson was.

Anyway, this is a sideshow. There is so much pressure and scrutiny on Sky to be clean, I just don’t think Froome would do it. He’s just extremely ambitious and firing on all four cylinders, IMO.

ransos
    Free Member

He tested positive 3 times for low-level substances in 1988 but these were not bannable at the time as they were commonly used in cold medications

Under the rules that existed at the time, his failure should’ve led to him being banned from the 1988 Olympics. His ban was overturned because the USOC accepted his defence of accidental ingestion. Not very different to Linford Christie’s failure I guess.

Edukator
    Free Member

Alain Baxter

He didn’t expect to get on the podium and hence get tested. On two world cup rounds in triathlon I’ve seen athletes not start with ridiculous excuses (“there’s a problem with my front wheel” and disappears an hour before the start with a bike shop 50m away) or retire unexpectedly when the dope test crew has been spotted. There was close to panic in one bike park among one nationality when word went round the dope test crew were there – not surprisingly they all had off days.

There is so much pressure and scrutiny on Sky to be clean

And despite that they hired, well you know who they hired but my posts get deleted when I name them with the year they tested positive or their previous connections, to get a Tour win.

Lifer
    Free Member

If there was anything in those allegations McQuaid would be using it as a massive stick to beat Cookson with.

Oh and:

Edukator – Member
    my posts get deleted when I name them with the year they tested positive or their previous connections, to get a Tour win.

tinsy
    Free Member

Its sad, I dont ride road, its not my bag, I do love to watch it though, have started a few road race threads in the past, same result everytime, it turns to drug talk accusations & hearsay..

I wont bother again. 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s easier if you just ignore Edukator. He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder with regards to Sky

tinsy
    Free Member

Nope you wont drag me back, off to get into tennis, if only to look at Annabel Crofts legs. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Tennis? Ooops

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

A bit? Edukaterer responds faster to these threads with the same old lines faster than Brant can even home in on the PlanetX/on-one ones. It’s truly impressive.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tennis, you say?

Well, I once read a blog by a Swedish scientist, and it said that every major tennis player everywhere was juiced up to the eyeballs. It was dead convincing, it used big words and sciency stuff and everyfink. I would post the url, but I just can’t remember it.

Then, right, I was at a world series croquet event and I’m sure I saw someone spiking his Pimms. It was so obvious. I saw it, I know he was doping. Of course, I don’t have any proof at all, but he did. HE DID! WHY WON’T ANYONE BELIEVE ME?

😉

atlaz
    Free Member

CFH: We DO believe you, we’re just all part of the conspiracy. Everyone in the world is. Apart from you.

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m part of something? Wooohooooo!

atlaz
    Free Member

A croquet conspiracy. It’s a start I suppose.

Edukator
    Free Member

Tennis, anyone else remember Bobby Riggs swallowing handfuls of pills before his match with Billy Jean King?

tinsy
    Free Member

Nadal appears to be wearing fluro pink shorts, & Annabel has not been seen since I changed sport. 🙁

camo16
    Free Member

Annabel has not been seen since I changed sport.

Annabel’s on Eurosport tinsy, looking as lovely as ever, presenting Game, Set and Mats (see what they did there?) with Mats Willander.

A truly excrutiating show, BTW. Poor Annabel just can’t seem to work out the presenting business – or seemingly have a conversation. Mats looks bemused, as if he was expecting to be somewhere else and can’t quite remember if he put his milk back in the fridge on his way out of the house.

Best of all, just before we go to a break, we get at least a second of Annabel and Mats gurning helplessly at TV cameras whose presence they still don’t understand…

Lifer
    Free Member

tinsy – Member
    Nadal appears to be wearing fluro pink shorts,[/quote]

Would you say he’s ‘glowing’?

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah I have to watch (its more listen to be honest) everything on Eurosport, my work goes through a server in Germany so it blocks all the free streaming stuff most of the time, I just subscribe when there is a road race I fancy, my month from the Giro still seems active which is odd.

I did catch a bit of Annabel yesterday whilst waiting for the Dauphine to start, I didnt really listen to her, just admired the legs.

mudshark
    Free Member

Thanks, I see Jonathan Tiernan-Locke is in the Tour de Suisse lineup, so from that I assume he wont make the tour linup. Bit early days at Sky too I suppose.

I guess because he’s not a great climber there are others more useful to support Froome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I didnt really listen to her, just admired the legs.

Her legs are fake. This is a FACT. A bloke in the pub told me.

Oddly enough, he had a Swedish accent….

tinsy
    Free Member

You will be telling me the tan & hair colour is from a bottle soon.

atlaz
    Free Member

I guess because he’s not a great climber there are others more useful to support Froome.

As I said before though, he’s still very early in his career at this level and I’d imagine they want to use the Tour de Suisse to see how he performs in the mountains. The Tour de Suisse, the Dauphine and (very much less so) the Tour de Luxembourg are all races that don’t preclude a rider for the TdF though, they’re usually just the last race before the team is set for those races (if they’re not already).

tinsy
    Free Member

Be nice to see him in the Tour, looked OK at climbing to me in TOB…

I kid of assumed the Tour De Suisse, was just too close to TDF so he wouldnt be on the list of choices.

brakes
    Free Member

I think I read something saying that JTL was being groomed for future Grand Tours or something and wasn’t quite ready – his results weren’t consistent enough. Or it might have just been an idle comment from someone on here.

Regarding Froome, and for the record, I’m slowly hating Eurosport more and more! Their coverage of the Dauphine has either been not shown or on earlier than scheduled – most probably because of the French Open.
    You can’t even record it because it is based on the time it’s scheduled to be on rather than somehow locking onto the program itself.
    SO, I missed Froom-Froome’s win yesterday.

mudshark
    Free Member

Be nice to see him in the Tour, looked OK at climbing to me in TOB…

He’s like me…good at the short, sharp climbs, not so good in the real mountains. 😉 I’m off to the Pyrenees on Monday to practice – shame there’s so much snow there still.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Froome fan’ is closed to new replies.