Froome big ring- eh?

Home Forum Bike Forum Froome big ring- eh?

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Froome big ring- eh?
  • Premier Icon portlyone
    Subscriber

Never seen anything so oddly shaped in my life

Froome himself? πŸ˜‰

Rorschach

Mirror
    Naked
    That is all.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

IF you zoom out the rest of the bike makes the ring look quite restrained.

qwerty

Tis BioPace on acid I tells thee.

mrblobby

That on the TT or the standard bike?

Edit: must be result of some analysis of power during pedal stroke. Seems to be too weird not to have been engineered based on pedalling data.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Whole bike looks like it was designed by Salvador Dali

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

standard ‘slightly melted’ bike;

ads-b

Stripped down climbing bike apparently

Premier Icon sweaman2
    Subscriber

Any context to the photo?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

not sure what rules are re: the opposition but details here;

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-chris-froomes-pinarello-dogma-651-think2–37547/

Apologies to the mods/Mark if this a bad thing to do.

Premier Icon mrhoppy
    Subscriber

Jesus that’s almost as bad as the paper clip bike.

wrecker

Looks like a dog having a shit. With wheels on the front and back.

shermer75

Ok. So what are they all about then? Is it more of that ‘dead spot on the pedal stroke’ malarkey? I thought all that had been proven to be, well, unproven?

Ro5ey

*spoiler removed*

He probably doesn’t give a monkey’s what it looks like

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

*spoiler*

πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

*tazzy and his OneKey chain ring to the forum*

ocrider

He doesn’t need to, he’s sitting on it. I feel sorry for the peloton though πŸ˜†

jimster

Didn’t Sir Brad use these in the Tour last year?

Premier Icon teadrinker
    Subscriber

Out of all the places they could have photographed it they chose a 3 star hotels garden.

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Some info here; how unbiased it is, I don’t know πŸ™‚

http://www.trainsharpcyclecoaching.co.uk/images/osymetric-study.pdf

epo-aholic

osymetic rings…..yes Wiggo used them and had done for a few seasons but this year strangely changed. If you remember he had bother with them in the TT world champs a few years back, cue tossing his bike away (again) πŸ™‚

stumpy01

Isn’t that one of those knock off Chinese carbon frames?

sooner Sky drop Pinarello the better. They are horrid. Rumour has it they’ll be on something else next year…

uwe-r

I really don’t get the wobbly fork / stays look.

No logic behind it at all other than being different to the previous look!

tang

I heard mutterings about spesh?

ads-b

Never seen anything so oddly shaped in my life:

No, the knock off Chinese frames don’t have the melted thing going on and so look better and are far cheaper.

I’d love to know the maths that went into that big ring.

clubber

I always figured that having Pinarellos was just a relic of having got a decent deal with them before BC/Sky started achieving much. I was pretty surprised that Sky stuck with them so long as I just don’t see Pinarello being innovative and chasing marginal gains as per BC.

Spesh or Trek would be my bets – a company with sufficient budget to pay for the stars and to be able to develop products that provide an advantage.

Or alternatively, a smaller company like BMC who put function right up there and are willing to invest to develop.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

portlyone – Member

Froome himself?
    That bike does actually bear an uncanny resemblance!

Ro5ey

Sorry for the spoiler earlier 😳

I got all excited after taking the lead in Dauphine STW fantasy league πŸ™‚

uwe-r

Spesh or Trek would be my bets – a company with sufficient budget to pay for the stars and to be able to develop products that provide an advantage.

I would imagine there is minimal advantage achievable from frame design anymore. Frames are all standard top end stuff tweaked for rider geometry if required but I bet most of them go with the standard anyway. Minimum weight limits mean there is nothing to gain in developing them any further.

Premier Icon H1ghland3r
    Subscriber

If I remember rightly, Sky signed a new 3 year deal with Pinarello last season after much speculation that they’d go with Specialized due to the Cavendish connection.
    There is also a lot of speculation currently that the new Pinarello TT bike (Bolide) has had a lot of input from the British Cycling ‘secret squirrel club’ as there are some marked similarities between it and the bike Wiggo won the gold medal on last year.
    So basically, it’s likely that the Sky/Pinarello connection isn’t going anywhere for a while.

mrblobby

Osymetric boss claiming 10%. Surely if it was that much it’d be easy to measure the difference and it’d all be clear cut.

IanMunro

Love their method of weighing frames πŸ˜€

(NB on the weight: Pinarello’s catalog indicates that the Dogma weighs 950g. This weight is before paint and “mechanization”, i.e. installation of BB shell, bottle bosses, etc. Once mechanized, a 53cm Dogma weighs 1210g.)

jonba

Osymetric boss claiming 10%. Surely if it was that much it’d be easy to measure the difference and it’d all be clear cut.

If they worked the UCI would have banned them by now.

parkesie

Apparently you lube them with snake oil to get the 10%

Premier Icon steveoath
    Subscriber

And only $300. Bargain πŸ™„

Premier Icon Normal Man
    Subscriber

H1ghland3r – Member
    If I remember rightly, Sky signed a new 3 year deal with Pinarello last season after much speculation that they’d go with Specialized due to the Cavendish connection.

Last summer they (Sky) only signed a 1 year deal with Pinarello.

The rumours were Spesh back then, especially when the big S started supplying neutral service for Tour of Britain, etc however soon after the new Pinarello deal was announced, then Cav left etc.

Recent rumour on road.cc was next it’ll be Trek but then another rumour is Trek will be a main sponser like Cannondale and BMC and that they will take over the Leopard Schleck team!

My hope is for a new deal with Pinarello but purely as I’m biased because I have one!

wrecker

No, but the target audience; those vain MAMILs do.

Premier Icon H1ghland3r
    Subscriber

ahh, thanks for the correction. In that case it will be interesting to see where they go. I doubt Trek will happen as you say, they seem destined to take up title sponsor role on the Leopard squad assuming they can extricate the license from Flavio Becca who wants shot of it but wants a big payday.

Given all of that it’s hard to imagine where Sky might go. Specialized already provide 3 teams, hard to imagine they can improve their exposure by adding another, unless they drop one which would also be difficult. Who would they ditch.? Contador(Saxo-Tinkof), Nibali(Astana) or Cavendish/Boonen/Martin(Omega-Quikstep)

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

apparently Tony Martin had a 58×11 gear for the time trial :0 that’s proper hard

mikey74

I was reading an article about Wiggos gearing in last years Tour when was using those chainrings. On some of the mountain stages he ended up using an XT mtb cassette because you can’t get those oval rings in compact sizes.

I always thought that changing rings while pedaling seemed to be a rather hit-and-miss affair with those rings. I appears Wiggo has found this to be true on too many occasions.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Froome big ring- eh?’ is closed to new replies.