• This topic has 255 replies, 117 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)
  • Froome – Are you feeling the love?
  • ransos

That’s not the rule though. Plenty of people born abroad who consider themselves the nationality of their parents.

I doubt many people who are born and grow up “abroad” would consider themselves to be the nationality of their parents, unless it’s an ex-pat type arrangement.

I couldn’t care less where he’s from. He’s riding like most of us could only dream of.

mudshark

I couldn’t care less where he’s from. He’s riding like most of us could only dream of.

Most?!

If he’s eligible for SPOTY that’s all that matters…shame that tennis bloke will win it whatever anyone else does this year.

mrblobby

s me particularly, but Millar and Wiggins were both shaped by a British upbringing, something you can’t say about Froome. In a way, I think it’s a shame he’s not riding as a Kenyan.

Millar was brought up in Hong Kong.

I really can’t believe some of the comments on this thread.

ransos

I couldn’t care less where he’s from. He’s riding like most all of us could only dream of.

And by a considerable margin!

As an aside: I rode up Alpe d’Huez last Friday. I wonder how much quicker Froome will be?

warton

This. I consider myself fit, ride 150 – 250 miles a week, rode my first Cat 4 race at the weekend, got destroyed, totally ripped to pieces. the level that guys like Froome operate on are beyond what I can comprehend tbh.

ransos

Millar was brought up in Hong Kong.

When he was thirteen, he went to a British school in what was then a British colony, moving back to England when he was about eighteen. As I said, an ex-pat arrangement.

ransos

Premier Icon kennyp
    Subscriber

We (Mrs Kenny and I) really warmed to Froome last year in the Vuelta. It was his reaction when losing that was so impressive. No toys getting chucked out the pram and no storming off refusing to do interviews. He accepted defeat gracefully and behaved like the perfect gentleman and sportsman (and therefore proving he is British I guess 🙂 ).

It’s always a better test of a man’s character when things aren’t going well.

If, or when, he wins overall in Paris next Sunday we’ll be raising a wee glass of something to toast his victory.

wrecker

shame that tennis bloke will win it whatever anyone else does this year.

Why is it a shame?

Van Halen

He’s riding like most of us could only dream of.

even though he was born and raised at altitude you still watch him thinking – thats not right. especially as all the main contenders crack 1/2 a mountain back. he might be off the smack but because of the record of the tour, and pro road cycling, you cant get that excited just sceptical…

atlaz

he might be off the smack but because of the record of the tour, and pro road cycling, you cant get that excited just sceptical…

In that case why bother watching. If you’re not prepared to believe the spectacle can be achieved clean, don’t watch it.

Premier Icon edlong
    Subscriber

I’ve been a big fan of Wiggo for a fair few years now, and perhaps in reaction to what went down at the Tour last year, started this season with a fairly negative view of Froomy.

BUT

I know Wiggo wasn’t fighting fit and picked up an injury, but it never seemed entirely clear that he was going to accept the new team order and ride for Froome in the Tour this year. Last year Froomy rode strongly for the team and was a big factor in Wiggo taking the yellow onto the Champs Elysee, and apart from that one moment in the mountains when he looked over his shoulder at Wiggo, did his job, and did it right. I’m far from convinced that a fully fit Wiggo would be working for Froome with the same attitude, and I’m not even 100% convinced that his illness / injury wasn’t a touch convenient in terms of putting some of those awkward questions to bed.

Unreasonable to expect a rider of the status of Wiggo to be playing the part of a domestique? I’d remind you of all those shots we had last last year of Team Sky’s Mark Cavendish making his way back up from the team car with fuel for the leader..

Froome showed last year that he can ride for someone else, and do it well, with one glitch on one stage. Wiggo has shown nothing of that himself.

So, yeah, I’m warming to Chris Froome.

samuri

And for those criticising Wiggins riding style in the lasy years tour…

That was surely a result of picking a team strategy that took advantage of Wiggins strengths. Wiggins is good at TT’s so lets use them to get him extra time and hope he climbs well enough.

Froome is a better climber so lets pick a strategy that uses that as an advantage.

Quite simple really but it presents the impression that Froome is dead exciting to watch and Wiggins isn’t. Wiggins was following the company line which was don’t forget what’s happening when you’re in the mountains and churn out a 40mph average when you’re by yourself.

Premier Icon ocrider
    Subscriber

I’m alot more comfortable with Froome’s replies than I ever was with the “Never controlled positive” school of denial that was LA, but when I saw him pull away from Quintana the first time, I said to the missus “Christ, he’s going to get a hard time for that trick”

Still, it doesn’t get better than this:
    A Brit (yes!)
    In yellow
    On Mt Ventoux
    On the 14 juillet

mikewsmith

Still, it doesn’t get better than this: A Brit (yes!) in yellow on Ventoux on the 14 juillet

with polka dots too!

ransos

That was surely a result of picking a team strategy that took advantage of Wiggins strengths. Wiggins is good at TT’s so lets use them to get him extra time and hope he climbs well enough.

Quite. It was what Indurain did, and it worked well enough for him…

Premier Icon ocrider
    Subscriber

🙂

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

i support riders on their merits

I suppose you live in Surrey and suppourt Manchester United?

I doubt many people who are born and grow up “abroad” would consider themselves to be the nationality of their parents, unless it’s an ex-pat type arrangement.

Fake statistics but probbaly true……

There are more Irish bar in New York than there are Irish people in Ireland.
    There are more Pzzerias in Chicago than there are Italians in Italy
    There are more Hamburger outlets in the USA than people in Hamburg.

Every Ammerican considders themselves Irish, even Obama made a song and dance about it!

samuri

There’s more scottish people outside scotland than in it!

mikewsmith

samuri wrote:

There’s more scottish people outside scotland than in it!

Not true they just make a lot of noise

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

Quite simple really but it presents the impression that Froome is dead exciting to watch and Wiggins isn’t.

watching someone drop their competitors on a mountain stage is interesting, watching someone in a TT tuck position for an hour and waiting for the times to come in isnt*, no matter how good the scenery and photography.

I find downhill racing a bit the same TBH, but atleast there’s a shedload of skill on display and a good chance of a crash.

*IMHO obviously

brakes

I reckon that’s why the UCI allow funny bikes in TTs, so the media can talk about the technology used and people will take and publish shots of the bikes.

Euro

Quite simple really but it presents the impression that Froome is dead exciting to watch and Wiggins isn’t.

It’s all relative, surely. Cycling along/up a road is pretty darn boring to do and to watch. You can pretend it’s exciting, but it’s not. It’s occasionally a smidge more interesting when there’s a few guys sprinting for a win or when there’s a crash otherwise it’s like watching a marathon or a 50k walk. You can marvel at the fitness but calling it exciting is a bit of a stretch.

Junkyard

If you dont think it was exciting to see the Sky train drop the peleton then see Froome drop Contador like he was school boy and then see him do the same to Quintana then get the back under the bridge

PS TT is dull fair point

Downhill racing is dull unless you want to see crash or Rob Warner is commentating on Danny hart

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

It’s all relative, surely. Cycling along/up a road is pretty darn boring to do and to watch. You can pretend it’s exciting, but it’s not. It’s occasionally a smidge more interesting when there’s a few guys sprinting for a win or when there’s a crash otherwise it’s like watching a marathon or a 50k walk. You can marvel at the fitness but calling it exciting is a bit of a stretch.

It depends how embedded you are in the sport – the subtleties will be lost to the casual observer. I’ve got friends (considerably brighter friends 😉 ) who know their chess who find some chess matches incredibly exciting to watch and it’s all completely lost on me.

Euro

True convert. I’m actually following the tour closely this year, due to peer pressure (my mates love it), but it’s not doing it for me. The tactical elements seem greatly overplayed. I watched the stage where Froome got separated from his team and all the drama that seemed to cause. I thought ‘if that was me, i’d just pretend to be a member of the team in front’ and that’s what it looked like he did. No biggie.

Junkyard, if finding road racing boring makes me a troll, then i guess i am. Is there an official list of boring sports i’m allowed to not enjoy you could send my way? 😉

forzafkawi

The bottom line is that last year Sky put together a team and a strategy to win the TdF based on proposed route. That takes nothing away from Brad Wiggins preparations and taking advantage of his strengths in the time trials whilst utilising the team including Chris Froome to defend on all stages including the mountains.

Once this year’s Tour route was announced it would have been obvious to the Sky management that the same team selection and strategy would not have been appropriate if they wanted to take the yellow jersey once more. The number of difficult mountain stages and lack of flat times trial mileage made Chris Froome the obvious choice as team leader.

All rhetoric aside from any source it was always going to be obvious that Wiggins wouldn’t have been much use to helping Chris Froome in this year’s Tour even if he had been 100% fit apart from maybe the team time trial. There would be nothing to be gained from seeing the former Tour winner fetching bottles and then being shelled out the back on stages like Mont Ventoux which he almost would have been once Froome took up the necessary attack.

The one thing that does occur to me is that Chris Froome is 28 so should be capable of winning the Tour for maybe the next 3 or 4 years given continued team support. Wiggins is 33 and has already stated that he doesn’t see the Tour as a priority in future years. I’m not sure what his Sky contract is but on that basis I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moving on from Sky in the closed season like Cavendish did last year.

Junkyard

Junkyard, if finding road racing boring makes me a troll, then i guess i am. Is there an official list of boring sports i’m allowed to not enjoy you could send my way?

When a topic is on a sport i find dull [ F1 , rugby for example] what i do is refrain from opening the thread let alone posting it to tell them i dont like the sport they are discussing and saying it is dull
    HTH 😛

I guess one does need to get it but surely when Froome was tearing them all a new set of legs you were excited or at least involved astounded even 😉
    TBH it will be along wait to see someone attack with that much devastation tbh…..

atlaz

I thought ‘if that was me, i’d just pretend to be a member of the team in front’ and that’s what it looked like he did. No biggie.

But the problem with that is he has to cover all the attacks himself. That’s the strategic part. If He’d had a couple of mates with him, when Quintana had gone they could have tried to raise the tempo as a group or even had Porte etc counterattack so they could try to redline Quintana and then reel him back. Alone, a rider has to do all of that himself.

There would be nothing to be gained from seeing the former Tour winner fetching bottles and then being shelled out the back on stages like Mont Ventoux which he almost would have been once Froome took up the necessary attack.

I don’t get that. What would there be that’s any different about a former Tour winner riding for his team leader as opposed to a normal super-domestique? That’s team bike racing. I think, though, that Wiggins probably felt the same as you hence his comments that he might be the team leader. If he had, I think it’s unlikely he’d have been fetching bottles any more than Froome did last year, he’d have been dragging Froome up the climbs like Porte has been.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I know Wiggo wasn’t fighting fit and picked up an injury, but it never seemed entirely clear that he was going to accept the new team order and ride for Froome in the Tour this year.

I dunno. He did it in the Olympics. Ok so he knew he couldn’t win that, but the same is true for this tour.

I’d have picked him if he’d been fit, for two reasons. One is psychological – it shows how strong your team is that you can have last year’s winner as a domestique AND this year’s favourite. The other is that he would have been pretty useful riding on the front to reel in breaks or attacks in the mountains, allowing Froome to be unleashed at the right time.

As for last year’s tactics – I found the mountain stages pretty exciting. It wasn’t four blokes riding up a mountain, it was a massive display of strength which had the competition wilting. I cheered each time someone fell off the back, just like I cheered yesterday when Froom attacked.

samuri

I liked the man carrying the pig and the duck.

He looked like he was having a great time.

tinsy

Was that a duck? I though one of the trotters had fell off.

EDIT, & why was he bothering to carry them?

Euro

When a topic is on a sport i find dull [ F1 , rugby for example] what i do is refrain from opening the thread let alone posting it to tell them i dont like the sport they are discussing and saying it is dull
    HTH

Topic is about Froome love. I don’t love him, but he sure can pedal up a hill. I didn’t post on the semi official TDF threads out of respect 😆 .

So, the TT stages are officially boring? Is it because they try to go as fast as they can? And the other stages are exciting because they use tactics to win as slowly as possible?

surely when Froome was tearing them all a new set of legs you were excited or at least involved astounded even

Actually i was enjoying the roadside idiots much more. The guy with the plastic boar in one hand and what looked like a toy pistol in the other did it for me 😀

Edit: ^^ seems it could have been a duck or a trotter – genuine intrigue 😀

Junkyard

well that is what will happen if you spend a day in the sun with only beer for company…a lesson for all of us

What I like is the fact the folks in the camper vans watch it on the telly get out clap as they go past then go watch it on the telly

No interest in going to see it “live” though the real speeds are incredible

tinsy

I watched it in Brighton once.. It all comes & go’s very quickly.

I did not however think to take a pig with me with a loose foot, or a Duck. 🙂

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

So, the TT stages are officially boring?

watching them arguably is, you’re watching a man pedalling and then waiting for the resultant numbers to flash up on screen. Have you tried watching a tt stage with the sound off and a bit of tape over the bottom of the screen where they display the times and then see if you can figure out who won. TTs may be an awesome display of fitness and technique but it’s not exciting TV. (and I did say it was just opinion)

looked like a boar and the head/neck of a duck to me, presumably the duck broke with all the excitment.

Premier Icon edlong
    Subscriber

Surely the trick watching it live is to get onto a steep bit near the top of a climb – then they won’t all come flying past like the peloton does on a fast, flat stage?

Junkyard

well if you want a good look of Schleck that is a good plan [ up or down]

Froome will still fly past though

What speed do you reckon he was doing up that hill?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Froome – Are you feeling the love?’ is closed to new replies.