Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Frontier 300 anyone doing it
  • Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

I’m down to do it, undertrained and overeaten, it could be hard work, hoping for a nice day and a good tail wind. I’m by myself so anyone looking for a bit of company for the first few Kms shout up

Premier Icon Pyro

I’ll be there but driving a support van, so probably not the company you want 🙂

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

I was booked on in 2020, then it got cancelled and then cancelled again in 2021, this time round I frankly couldn’t be arsed with the risk of it getting cancelled again so didn’t bother.

Premier Icon Oblongbob

I’m doing it. Really looking forward to it. Did the dirty reiver to force me to train a bit. Alas was a post-covid mess. Made it round but was a stupid thing to do in hindsight – was raising money for charity otherwise might have binned it. Feeling a lot better now, so hope it’ll be better even though it’s a lot longer. Delighted to ride with you for a bit.

Premier Icon Oblongbob

Only is two silly enough to do it then, I guess

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Seems that way, will msg nearer the day

Premier Icon jonm81
    Free Member

Yep, I’m doing it with a mate from work. I’ll be the overweight guy on a weird pink bike.

Also have the Dorset Dirt Dash this sunday as practice.

Premier Icon Oblongbob

And then there were three!…or even 4. Maybe we can agree a time to set off? I’ll be on a ti van nic Amazon, and I’m pretty tall and most definitely not a race whippet either!

Premier Icon jonm81
    Free Member

I’ll aim to cross the start line as soon as it opens so I have as much time as possible to get to the last checkpoint before the enforced 5 hour rest stop

Premier Icon jonnyfelloff
    Free Member

Never heard of it, like the look of it, will aim for next year.

Premier Icon momo

Good luck to you all. I was signed up (for 2020 and then again for ’21, I let the entry roll over to ’22) unfortunately I was pretty ill last year and knew there was no way I could get through it with my fitness so let the entry slide.

Just keep telling myself it was serendipity now that my daughters have a dance school show that weekend…

Premier Icon jodafett

I signed up for it 2 yrs ago and last year I was the fittest I’ve ever been! This year, not so fit and 3 stone heavier! I will be riding a bright green Mason with too much luggage in case it all goes wrong! See you all at 4.15am!!

Premier Icon jodafett

What kit is everyone taking? I’m hoping to do it in one go but would it be prudent to take cooking equipment in case it goes wrong! Anyone taking a tarp/ bivvy?

Premier Icon Oblongbob

I’m not taking any overnight kit. I’ll keep riding unless I keel over. It’ll be the minimum kit list food and drink for me. Obviously I’ll watch the weather closely and adjust clothing. I’ll probably use a half frame bag and a revelate saddle bag to carry it all, along with pockets. I’m hoping we won’t need much lighting, so I’ll probably just go for a Joystick.

Premier Icon jonm81
    Free Member

Same as above, the bare minimum from the kit list plus food and fluids.

Clothing I’ll decide on the morning.

Premier Icon jamiebkc
    Free Member

I’m travelling up from Bristol for this on the train, don’t suppose I could trade some beer tokens with anyone for a ride from Dumfries rail station to Colvend on Friday evening?

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

I’m minimum kit as well, which is still a lot, aiming to get to the finish by 12.15, so 20 hour target. Will be crossing start at 4.15, unless stuck on the loo!!. To Camino, white met helmet, rest of kit depends on weather. I’m also on the look out for a lift from Dumfries station, otherwise it’s a gentle spin along the road to colvend.

Premier Icon Oblongbob

I’m getting a lift to the start myself and not quite sure on timings, so unfortunately not able to help with lifts from Dumfries to the registration.

Premier Icon jonm81
    Free Member

We’ll be driving up, registering then staying at a hotel in Dumfries (want a comfy night before the ride) so can’t offer lifts the other way, sorry.

Did the Dorset Dirt Dash last Sunday which is almost exactly half the distance and climbing in 9.5 hrs so aiming for between 22-24 hrs for this one.

Premier Icon jodafett

35mph winds for Saturday! Mostly of the tail type but still quite a hefty breeze!

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Think I’ll be orange castelli jersey and white met helmet, ti Camino hopefully crossing start at 4.15

Premier Icon Oblongbob

Camping in the field across from registration. Hoping to get going at 4.15, but we’ll see how quickly I can get organised

Premier Icon jonm81
    Free Member

Finished in 17hrs 2 min.

A tough but enjoyable event

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Just under 15 hours, good event really tough first 100k then a very sorr kner for last 60kms saw me struggling everytimr it went up. Tough event well done to all

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

@karnali – was it you I rode with from Eskdalemuir to Langholm? Orange jersey, white met lid, ti Camino is all a match. If so – thanks for the lift/company.

14hrs 40mins for me, which I was pretty chuffed with, as aiming for sub 20! That tailwind was mostly a godsend. It would have been horrible if it was a headwind!

Feed 4 to the end was WAY harder than I expected.

Big thanks to the Focal guys for their normal excellent organisation and well done all the riders. Especially those who got caught at Feed 4 overnight and had to finish this morning (to well deserved cheering). Proper tough day that.

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

@JonEdwards certainly was great to meet you and have spme company for that bit 👍👍

Premier Icon Oblongbob

15h56 for me. Would have been a bit quicker if I didn’t forget my water bottles at stop 2 and have to ride 3 miles back to get them 😢. Great event. Epic route, what a journey. Hiking section was tougher than I expected! Only one shower at the end was a bit of a shocker, and it was cold when I got to the front of the queue, but hey ho. Much respect for those rolling in this morning.

Premier Icon jodafett

About 19hrs for me, which I’m very chuffed with given my training (or lack of) regime! Got dragged round the last 100k by a good bunch. Did anyone catch the story of the lady that came in this morning? I though I heard she rode a section twice! Great event and loved every minute of it – except trying to pitch my tent at 11pm with a broken back!! Teepee for me next time!!

Premier Icon Oblongbob

No, I didn’t catch the story – would be interested to hear. I was very, very glad of the teepee, and I can definitely recommend.

Premier Icon boxelder

Did anyone catch the story of the lady that came in this morning? I though I heard she rode a section twice!

So, she came in to Feed 4 late on, but determined to finish. She left for the last 70Km about 10pm, with the guy who finished around 2.30am. They rode to the top of Winter’s Gibbet and the turn into Harwood Forest, only to realise she wasn’t going to make it. Returned to Feed 4 and got a few hours sleep and then left again for Winter’s Gibbett at around 5.30am. We had 6 riders catch the few hours sleep at Feed 4 and finish in the sun this morning.
    A very determined lass – it was quite emotional to see her finish to be honest. She was riding for Ra Bikes, from Malton.
    Well done to those who took it on and apologies to Oblongbob for the jibes about water bottles.

Premier Icon jodafett

Fair play to her! It was a great event. The volunteers were great and the two bampots on the cargo bike made my day (cos I knew they’d have to climb back up the hill they came belting down 🤣).

Premier Icon Oblongbob

What an amazing effort from her. Real grit to keep on keeping on. She’d done the hard bit getting to the top as well!

The gentle teasing was well deserved!

All in all a great event. Thanks to the team.

Premier Icon jodafett

Do the times get posted anywhere? I had a GPS fail and wasn’t paying attention to time when I crossed the line! Too busy drinking the beer!!

Premier Icon john_l

We finished just after midnight after just staying ahead if the rain for most of the day. Spent a bit too long eating soup and sarnies at Kielder which meant it caught us.

Luckily we stopped at the co-op just before the final feed stop and huddled under the awning whilst it hammered down and avoided the worst of it.

The road across the moor and down into Newcastleton made me cry with emotion, just so beautiful!

The Focal guys were incredible, superb organisation and support throughout the day (and night).

Took almost a day and half to get back to Brighton though by the time we’d made our way back to Rockcliffe to get the car!

Premier Icon jamiebkc
    Free Member

Agree with everything above, great event and a fantastic course/route. Managed to trundle across around 11:30pm which is about where I expected to be given no training and the bike I was riding (red 80’s Peugeot), about half way I was bitterly regretting not putting a smaller set of chainrings on. Got wetter than an otters pocket descending into feed 4 and the flatter sections in the dark to the finish seemed to last an eternity. Thanks to all the organisers and the riders for great company!

Premier Icon john_l

Ha ha! We saw you a fair bit on the Saturday and for a bit Sunday morning, riding back along the coast (group of 4, me hanging off the back trying to wake my legs back up).

That was a bloody impressive ride on that Peugeot!

Premier Icon jamiebkc
    Free Member

Thanks! Hope your journey back to the cars wasn’t too arduous, I dropped off the back of your group at the first sign of an incline and the gravitational pull of the drift cafe just the other side was too great..

Premier Icon Mole
    Free Member

Hi,probably rolled along with a few of you going off finishing times. I thought it was a fantastic event and route but thank god for the tail wind. jamiebkc..I thought my Jones 29er plus was kinda hard work but when I saw your Peugeot on the bike rack on Sunday I changed my mind!

Premier Icon john_l

Was yours the blue spaceframe with drops?

Premier Icon Mole
    Free Member

Blue diamond frame with drops yeah!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.