Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Front tyre time – Magic Mary Ultrasoft or Wild Enduro MagiX
  • jjprestidge
    Free Member

Racing next weekend at Triscombe and it looks like my current Ultrasoft Magic Mary has gone past the point of no return.

So, does anyone have any experience of the Ultrasoft MM versus the Wild Enduro. I’ve been happy with the Magic Mary and I like the ultrasoft’s grip on wet roots and loose stuff, but I’m always looking for a touch of extra grip or speed.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

JP

joebristol

I was having a look at a Wild Enduro in Cycle Republic today. I quite fancy one when my DHF wears out although it might be a bit too big for most of my riding.

I have a Magic Mary (soft) and it’s pretty good – I think the Wild Enduro is meant to be a bit better overall but pretty close in capabilities. I did read a few comments that the Wild Enduro isn’t brilliant on wet rocks and roots somewhere – so it sounds very similar to the Mary.

mudfish

Bontrager G5, amazing tyre upfront (rear Aggressor DD 2.5 all the way in Summer), I thought the Mary (29) was pretty good ’til I tried the G5 over wet roots at Forest of Dean, wow – rolls well, wire bead though.
    Weight weenies need not apply.
    Admittedly my 29″ Mary is an Addix soft not supersoft.

I just persuaded a mate to try the G5 27.5 upfront, he was hooked on ride 1 – over the Maxxgrip Shorty it replaced.
    You also may like to look at the Asseguy Maxxgrip. Some of my 29er Mary loving pals have gone that way.
    Asseguy shouldn’t work as well as the G5 (with its proper edge channel) but Minnaar knows more than me – it goes without saying.

Michelin, dunno, must be OK I guess given their history, cheap too. Reviewers put me off though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jjprestidge
    Free Member

Cheers.

It’s just come out on top in the MBUK tyre guide. Other reviews have not been as flattering, but most reviews from people who own them have been very good.

I’ve taken a punt on them. Assegais are too heavy in a decent casing and most other Maxxis are overpriced IMO – I’m not paying £70 for a tyre!

JP

joebristol

The Assagai’s are expensive and also quite heavy even in just exo plus casings. The Wild enduro is over a kilo a tyre from what I read a week or two ago and quite draggy. But then you’re racing enduro somewhere quite natural with some rain due so it might be just the ticket!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

The Assagai’s are expensive and also quite heavy even in just exo plus casings. The Wild enduro is over a kilo a tyre from what I read a week or two ago and quite draggy. But then you’re racing enduro somewhere quite natural with some rain due so it might be just the ticket!

Yeah – the MM in SG ULtrasoft is a similar weight, so not worried about the Wild Enduro being a kilo. I’ll take grip over rolling speed any day.

JP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll take grip over rolling speed any day.

Absolutely agree, grip IS rolling speed.

isn’t brilliant on wet rocks and roots somewhere – so it sounds very similar to the Mary.

Mary isn’t good on rock and roots?…. 🤔😂

russyh
    Free Member

So absolute Mary stalwart here, I recently switched from Mary soft to Wild enduro (soft forget what it’s called) grip levels are similar if not maybe a little better with the wild enduro in this dry stuff we have been having.  Wouldn’t like to say how it performs in the way just yet albeit will probably have a good idea after this weekend.  As for the rear, nice profile. Side knobs and transition to them is fantastic.  Great sleeping tyre unless you are looking for something that can roll with any kind of speed….it’s pretty damn draggy in my view.  Probably and excellent winter rear tyre.  I’m giving them another go this weekend before making the switch back to Mary and SG RR I think.

poah
    Free Member

have both F&R wild enduro tyres on my patrol. Rear not draggy at all for me while the front grips pretty good in most conditions. Not as good as my projekt baron in slop but better in drier conditions. Really quite pleased with them.

indeedfox
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped from a Hans Dampf rear, Magic Mary Front to the Wild Enduro’s and went for the GumX front after common sense took over my imagination telling me I needed the MagiX. The grip is fantastic and they are surprisingly good in terms of rolling resistance and are great climbing. They have a different shape in comparison to the MM and you’ll find they have a release point which took me about half an hour to get used to. They then bite again really nicely and give superb grip which makes you feel like you’re so much better than you probably are. I’m really loving them so far. Lots of soapy water to get them centred though when mounting.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’m a huge Mary fan. The enduro wild is fantastic, grip is unreal however it needs a bit more wrestling around to keep your line

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Cheers all. It arrived today, so will be out on it tomorrow.

JP

jjprestidge
    Free Member

OK – first ride on it at Wind Hill this morning.

It’s much lighter than the SG Magic Mary – 970g versus 1200g on my scales. It sits a bit square on my 35mm wide front wheel, but grip levels in the corners seem pretty high, although there aren’t many flat corners at Wind Hill, so I’m only going on its performance on various heights of bermed corners.

Grip levels on the roots and technical bits are very high, but it does need to be manhandled a bit. It almost seems like it gets better the faster you go.

On the jumps and drops it felt a bit weird; I guess I’m just used to quite a heavy front tyre stabilising the bike in the air. On the bigger drops and step downs it felt quite lively and I had to be more careful than usual with my body position in the air.

Not sure how it will feel in the wet, but I’m hoping it’s going to be as good as in the dry.

JP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Front tyre time – Magic Mary Ultrasoft or Wild Enduro MagiX’ is closed to new replies.