Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Front sus geometry question for my Gryphon – guru's pointer needed
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

So, my Gryphon is designed for drop bars and rigid only forks. I like riding drops and wouldn’t want to change the bike but sometimes just think a bit of front sus would improve things – short travel 80mm at most- other frames with drops seem to end up with some sort of hideous stem to bring the bars up.

The forks have an a/c of 445mm and an offset of 55mm. I know that the G2 forks have an offset of 51mm so that would make the steering slightly twitchier i think.

I have read, if i have read right, that you allow 20% from a sus forks a/c to allow for sag.

So the question is what length of fork would be required to give a sagged a/c of 445mm – ie a 100mm travel fox 29er g2 has an a/c of 510 (assuming thats an unsagged figure?), so allowing 20% for sag that would be an a/c of 408mm – too short.

Not sure that i have not got the whole thing round my neck but a genuine query so ………….

chiefgrooveguru

Sag is 20% of the travel, not the whole axle-crown length!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You allow 20% of the travelfor sag, or there abouts. So your fox forks would have a sagged a2c of 490ish

Nipper99
    Free Member

so the 80mm g2 – a/c 490, would have a sagged a/c of around 474mm.

Nipper99
    Free Member

and a sagged a/c of 445mm would need an unsagged a/c of around 556?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Front sus geometry question for my Gryphon – guru's pointer needed’ is closed to new replies.