• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jeffl.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Front/Rear brake set
  • astura
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my Shimano MT4000 on my hardtail,, I’m riding it in quite some aggressive trails so need a better brake set, I thinking going 4 pots.

Any recommendations – I’m not after spending loads, would like to buy new – any good deals about?

tjagain

Bigger discs would be the cheapest option unless you are already maxed out

gotbike
    Free Member

If you like shimanos just go for the mt501/520s. I love mine, plenty powerful and great modulation, all the reviews say as good as the brands far higher. Can be had for less than £200 for the entire set.

As tjagain says tho bigger discs is a cheaper way for more power if you’re happy with the brakes you have already

astura
    Free Member

Will look into those,, would prefer to keep the rotors I have at the mo, as the brake just don’t feel great

zerocool

As said, you could just try bigger rotors and then upgrade the brakes if that isn’t enough power.

funkrodent

There was a thread a couple of days ago re Clarks 4 pot (but under the original Chinese factory brand) that can be had for £50 the set on ebay. Quite a few people have them and like them. At that price it’s hard to argue. I’ll try send fine the thread

dyna-ti

Shimano SLX maybe even Zee if you can budget for them.

funkrodent
    nixie

Magura MT trail sport. 4 pot front and 2 pit rear. I’m very impressed with mine over the last year or so since they replaced some crap SLX.

astura
    Free Member

So there seems to be 3 I’m looking at:

Magura MT trail sport
    Magura MT5 estop
    Shimano SLX 7120

I’m not overly sure on the Clark’s need to do more research

Out of the 3 above which tick the boxes, Clark’s and trail sport seem to be the cheapest

finners

I may split the hardtail I’m selling, so might have a Zee Brakeset up for sale soon?

martymac

My mate has zees on his genesis day one (flat bar converted)
    This obviously has narrower tyres than an mtb, but the way he is able to feather the brakes and hold a tyre just on the point of almost locking is really impressive.
    I would certainly buy some of those if i needed new brakes.

astura
    Free Member

Dropped you a message

thols2

Whatever you do, an 8″ rotor on the front will give a significant improvement in power. That would be the first thing I’d do.

jeffl

Got some guide TS the other month. Less stock now so frame size may mean they don’t fit the rear. Levers flip over so only difference between front and rear is hose length.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sram-guide-t-disc-brake/rp-prod208560

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Magura mt trail sport

astura
    Free Member

Brake set purchased! Went with SRAM Guide RE.

Quick question – post mount adapters,, is there any issues with going with ones off eBay like these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Disc-Brake-Caliper-Mount-Adapter-Front-Rear-Post-International-PM-IS-160-180-203-/112093895280?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

jeffl

I think some hope brakes needed hope specific adaptors due to caliper clearance issues but thw guides should be fine with standard PM adaptors.

I presume those eBay ones are fine and have no weaknesses in the casting but I’d probably go with a known brand/quality…

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-disc-brake-adaptor-post-to-post

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Front/Rear brake set’ is closed to new replies.