Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Front Mech Throw – XT won't go far enough to stop chain rubbing.
  • chris_db
    Free Member

SO, I’ve got an XT front mech paired with an SLX chainset. I can’t get the arm to go far enough to stop the big gear ratios rubbing on the chain when on the outer ring.

Could I swap the spacers over on my b/b (run one on drive side, two on non-drive) to bring the chainset in a couple of mm to sort this? My fear if I do this will be not getting the chain onto the granny ring (my fave…).

Any comments from you pro mechanics out there?

Chris

speckledbob
    Free Member

Adjusting the position of the mech on the seat tube may help.

sillyoldman

So it’s not moving far enough outwards?

Could be one of 4 things –

a) The H Limit screw on the ft mech needs backed off a little.

b) The cable tension is too low.

c) The cable isn’t clamped in the correct position (there’s a groove that the cable fits in under the cable clamp plate) which means that the leverage ratio is out.

d) mech needs repositioned on the seat tube.

Shouldn’t have to mess with the chainset unless your frame has a 73mm BB rather than 68mm.

chris_db
    Free Member

It seems to refuse, physically, to extend any further. May have to have a fiddle with it.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

BB spindle too long?

soobalias
    Free Member

had similar on the lads bike recently, swapped the mech out before i realised just how mangled the old one must have been, dropped, kicked, crashed… who knows

sillyoldman

Have you checked the BB shell width to make sure it’s not 73mm (in which case you’re running too many spacers)?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Front Mech Throw – XT won't go far enough to stop chain rubbing.’ is closed to new replies.