Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Front Mech Faff
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Trying and failing to correctly set up a direct mount 2x SRAM front mech. Any help tips greatly appreciated.

With the cable removed, set the inner limit screw with the chain on the largest rear sprocket, set the outer limit screw with the chain on the smallest rear sprocket, connect the cable and adjust the tension so that with the chain on the large chainring and the large sprocket, the mech doesn’t foul the chain….

With the chain in any of the larger half of the sprockets, the chain will not shift from small chain ring to large……
    Or, if I adjust the cable tension a little, with the chain in any of the smaller half of the sprockets, the chain overshifts the front ring

new cassette, chain, chain rings.

What could the problem be?

devash
    Free Member

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment

Work through this guide from the beginning first. Front mechs are a bit of a pain until you know what your’e doing. This is the best guide I’ve come across.

soobalias
    Free Member

thanks devash – never had such an issue before, especially with full new drive train.

Will have a read before I swap the cable out and try again tonight.

frogstomp

Or, if I adjust the cable tension a little, with the chain in any of the smaller half of the sprockets, the chain overshifts the front ring

Sounds like your high limit screw is still not wound in enough..

soobalias
    Free Member

^ yeah, but if I wind it in enough, the chain wont change up when in any of the large sprockets

its almost like the pitch of the chainrings is a little to tight? is that even a thing

soobalias
    Free Member

just a thought… although there is no rotational adjustment (vertical only) there is potential that the mech is bent – best check that

nickfrog
    Free Member

Is the cable/outer new ?

soobalias
    Free Member

^ no, it will be in an hour tho!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Front Mech Faff’ is closed to new replies.