Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Front Mech Advice
  • marcmcq90
    Free Member

Hi guys and girls,

I’m looking for a bit of advice. I’ve just purchased a 2019 Genesis Vagabond frameset and I’m looking to run a double ring up front.

I’ve got Shimano 105 2×11 shifters, I’m going to be running an 11 speed XT rear mech with the Wolftooth Tanpan adaptor so no issues there.

But I’m struggling to figure out what mech will be compatible for the front. It has to be band on and bottom pull (I think). What will be compatible? I will be using Shimano XT or SLX double chainring crankset at the front.

Any ideas?!

mariner
    Free Member

GRX?

binno
    Free Member

You should be ok with either a double or triple Shimano mech given it matches the largest front chain ring profile closely enough, plus you don’t have more than 12 teeth difference on the front. You won’t need a road mech unless you have big front chain ring.

For 36T – 48T I use Shimano road mechs.
    For 30T – 42T I’ve been ok with an older XT triple mech.
    For 26T – 38T I use a more recent XT / SLX double with 105 10 speed shifters.

Depending on where your bottle cage mounts are and if you’re squeezing a huge tyre in the rear you can often get away with high frame mounts but it looks much cleaner using the correct orientation if buying new.

Dickyboy

I used a side swing mech on mine and full length outer cable – gave much better tyre and mudguard clearance.

marcmcq90
    Free Member

Does it matter if I go for road or mtb? I’ve been doing a bit of reading and it suggests that the chain line might be too wide for a road mech but then the cable pull from the STI lever won’t be enough to actuate the MTB ones enough?

boblo
    Free Member

Road shifters and MTB front derailleur = different pull. I tested this with a Tiagra front shifter and an XT front shifter. The shifter cable pulls were different.

marcmcq90
    Free Member

@dickyboy on your genesis vagabond? What sifters and model of mech did you go for?

Dickyboy

I used an slx side swing mech with a tiagra triple sti, the other alternative is to use an eccentric spacer on a road mech/mtb chainset combo so a road mech gets enough throw to an outer ring. I’ve since swapped my vagabond for a specialized awol. I’ve still got the side swing mech and an eccentric spacer if you wanted to try them.

marcmcq90
    Free Member

@dickyboy would a triple mech work on a double?

After @mariner mentioned about the GRX, I’ve been doing a bit of digging into this. It seems like a GRX crank, chainrings, derailleur and front mech would be the perfect answer. Can pick them up pretty cheap from bike discount.de too.

My only reservation is that is states that 42mm is the max tyre clearance. Does anybody have experience running a GRX front mech with a 2.1” tyre in the rear?!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Triple should work, IIRC mtb 2x uses one half of the shift whilst road 2x uses the other. 1-2 for mtb, 2-3 for road. I think.

antigee

GRX?

my understanding def’ not with xt crankset believe the GRX front mech has a wider than normal offset (probably not the correct technical term) because the GRX crankset has the chainline further out so think its only OK with GRX and GRX crankset only ok with it

my rule of thumb on this sort of set up is match the mech to the chainset I’ve got a couple of bikes with 105 shifters and XT front mechs a triple which needs very careful set up but works (and obviously is the work of the devil) and a double that shifts better than mrs antigees road ultrega – I thought all the current XT fron mechs could be set up for either up or down pull?…I’d also vote for the SLX mentioned above but think I failed with one due to the bottle mounts getting in the way. Used to see plenty of bikes with MTB crank sets and 105 front mechs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Front Mech Advice’ is closed to new replies.