Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Front mech advice needed for newbie
  • lauraly
    Free Member

Hey guys

this is going to sound like a very stupid question but I am a newbie and dont know which type of front mech I need. Please see pic of my frame below.

oldgit
    Free Member

The other one not ‘conventional’

lauraly
    Free Member

please could give me the specifics? Do you mean e type?

snaps
    Free Member

I think its 34.9mm top swing bottom pull (but most modern mechs are multi fit & multi pull) so its just the swing thats important as bottom swing will hit the swingarm when on the big chainring.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I think the Marin FRS are all bottom pull – also you would need the appropriate seat tube diameter which should be 34.9? – you’ll have to measure it with a tape measure to be sure – the 2002 East Peak had a seat tube of 30.0 – very odd old size? So perhaps the front mach bracket should be less thn 34.9mm? Anyone else agree/disagree?

lauraly
    Free Member

this is one I bought but just doesnt seem to be any way that it is going to fit. it is a XT FDM771

foxyrider
    Free Member

well its a a multi fit front mech – I would think therefore you mean it the collar by which it clamps onto the frame is the wrong size – measure the circumference of the tube and that will give you the size – you may have to buy some convertors for inside the collar if its too big?

lauraly
    Free Member

It is not the clamp size it is the actual style of front mech I need to know, there is just no space for the mech to fit in above the chain rings. Would an e type fit?

fingerbike
    Free Member

I don’t think there will be the clearance for the mech you have bought.
    As Snaps said, you’re going to need a top swing, bottom/dual pull mech as the swingarm will get in the way for conventional swing.

something like this will fit:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20684

lauraly
    Free Member

excellent thanks for all the help chaps 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

Yep you’ve bought a bottom swing & only a top swing will fit those frames – swap at shop?

lauraly
    Free Member

Cant swap at shop as I got it from someone who has done the same as me and bought the wrong one 😕

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup – sorry its a top swing – sorry didn’t realise that was where it “wouldn’t fit” – yup bottom swing, bottom pull – I got one of those off my old marin – I think its 34.9 bottom pull bottom swing – got 2 old LX ones you can haev for very little? PM me if your interested – both in good nick 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Front mech advice needed for newbie’ is closed to new replies.