Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Front light recommendations please
  • Premier Icon snap
    Free Member

Hi ….I’ve been asked by a friend to recommend a front light for MTB purposes.
    I’ve lost touch myself so I’m open to STW suggestions
    Criteria is
    At least 2.5hrs run time
    Budget no more than £100
    Helmet mounted light with integral battery
    If you’ve experienced the after sales service was it good / bad
    Thanks in advance for your input

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll get that sort of run time with a decent output in a small enough package to go on a helmet regardless of budget.

Premier Icon snap
    Free Member

Ah ok
    What sort of budget does he need to go to ?

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

The Exposure Joystick is a very good helmet light but is a little over £100 and will only last around an hour on full power, it does have various lower the modes to make it last longer but you obviously sacrifice visibility. The quality is very good and so is the aftersales support.

Halfords do a 1600 lumen light which is around £60 and brighter than the Joystick and will last around 3 hours on full power, but is too heavy for a helmet so is only really a bar mount option.

The best option might be a helmet light with an extra battery, I think the Four4th Scorch is highly rated but again a bit more than £100. It will depend a lot on how bright the light needs to be.

Premier Icon lardman
    Free Member

Mtb batteries lights are great, but external battery pack only. Under budget though, and great lights.

Premier Icon lardman
    Free Member

Actually…. scrap the above. They’re over £100 actually. Great value though.

Premier Icon tuboflard

I’d be tempted to save up a little bit more and get a Joystick. You can get a new one on eBay for £140

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USE-Exposure-Lights-Joystick-Mk15-1100-Lumens-Front-Helmet-Mountain-Bike-Light-/255208155764?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

And may be able to pick up a second hand one for less than £100 if can’t stretch. With toggling back the power for road and climbs you’ll easily make it last over 2.5 hours.

Premier Icon dc1988
    Free Member

Looks like a Joystick can be had for £121 but would need a mount, Wiggle has the Exposure Diablo for £130 which is a bargain

Premier Icon snap
    Free Member

I’ve linked him to this page so he can read your responses

Thanks again

Premier Icon johnnystorm

OK, I know the spec was for an integrated battery but…

https://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/mountain-bike-lights/lumen800/

800 lumens on full, 2.5hrs on full and although it has a separate battery I have had mine with an uprated (bigger) battery attached to my lid for approaching 30hrs straight without really noticing it.

For £170 you can have 2200 lumens on the bars and 800 on your head.

Premier Icon pampmyride

My head light/torch is a Sofirn IF25A. About £30 on aliexpress or £48 on Amazon. Worth getting a spare battery, to swap at half time… – 21700 battery used. I’m using an Exposure helmet mount & it’s a good fit. Can charge via usb wire into the light or separate battery charger – but check they take the chunky 21700 battery.

I’ve got a Liitokala charger and their 21700 batteries that have more mAh than the std Sofirn batteries, and it all works!

Premier Icon teethgrinder

I have this on the helmet (though mine are Evolva X8 – exactly the same – mine have a tripod screw underneath, and I think these do)

These go from the light to gopro mount

No need for after sales… Been spot on for 5 years, and supposed to last 4+hours on full.

I did have one on the bars as well but now got a Magicshine RN3000. Next level shit and i might get one for up top, even though it’s heavier than the X8.

Premier Icon chriscubed
    Free Member

Chilli tech head torch comes with a helmet mount, 800 lumens.sometimes crazy cheap offers come up

I combine with the STW standard issue bike hut 1600 lumen on my handlebars. Perfectly ok for the night riding I do

https://www.chilli-tech.com/bike-lights/CREE-Headtorch

Premier Icon thegeneralist

I don’t think you’ll get that sort of run time with a decent output in a small enough package to go on a helmet regardless of budget.

This

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

The road.cc lights comparison tool is back which may help, a Google should find it

Premier Icon hooli
    Free Member

I had the chilli-tech helmet light and although it isn’t massively heavy, it is heavy enough to throw the balance out on my helmet out and made it very uncomfortable. I tried mounting it in several places but couldn’t get on with it.

I ended up going back to the solarstorm copy with the battery in my pack. In summer when I don’t take a pack I use a cree torch with a velcro strap.

Premier Icon militantmandy
    Free Member

chilli-tech helmet

I’ve got a chilli tech helmet light and find it fine in terms of weight, but it’s a bit lacking in brightness. My helmet fits really well though, which must be a factor. I have a Lumina Nightrider 1000 on the bars which seems to far outsine the chilli. I’m seriously tempted by the Exposure Joystick that seems to be around for a good price.

Premier Icon joebristol

For your budget I’d be inclined to get both a bar light and a helmet light:

The moon has decent runtimes for the helmet – all detailed on the below advert. I’ve had a couple of the slightly older version and they’re really decent

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/lights/moon-meteor-vortex-front-light__487472?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=LAAMY2005&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7uudpIL98wIViaztCh2xIwXzEAQYAiABEgKbbvD_BwE

Halfords bar light:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/halfords-advanced-1600-lumen-front-bike-light-253334.html

On the bar light I changed the handlebar mount to a go pro style metal one for a fiver from eBay and it’s really stable on the bars.

Both lights within the £100 budget and you can easily eek out 2.5 hours without being short of light.

Premier Icon bartimaeus
    Free Member

For many years I have used an Ultrafire torches from Dealextreme or Lightmalls. For a budget introduction to night riding they can’t be beaten, but they do require some faffing.

My most recent XM-L2 501b torches which I got from Lightmalls cost about £8. These run on 18650 cells – which I got free from old laptops but you can get good quality ones from ‘Torchy’ on eBay. They attach to your lid with the rubber ‘lockblock’ mounts (about £2,50). You also need a charger… you can get one for £5 but as I have lots of 18650 torches I splashed out on better quality one for about £25.

These are not very refined lights, and I find you need to wrap the cells with electrical tape for a better fit, and I use neodymium magnets to lengthen the cells also for a better fit (the unprotected cells from laptops are a bit short)… the cells need to be really snug as the mode change is effected by interrupting the current with a clicky-clicky tail switch, so your cell moving when you land a drop may also trigger a mode change, and your light switching to SOS-strobe mode is not something you want in the middle of a technical section!

Once you have a charger each light plus mounts is around £10 which is pretty unbeatable. The emitter matters – XM-L2 or XPL are good, the older XML a bit less so – and the ‘brightness bin’ matters e.g. a T6 is not as bright as a U2 etc. Even more important is the driver, and there you don’t really know what you are getting unfortunately… but my old XML-T6 were fine and the XM-L2s are great. On full power you get about 1hr at about 900 lumens, but more importantly the MID mode on mine gives about 2.5hrs at 400+ lumens so with bar_lid you can ride around using MID and then switch to HI for the tech sections. Best of all you can carry spare 18650s and swap cells if they run down… so a 4 hour night ride is easy enough to manage. After-sales on cheap chinese torches is non-existent but a whole new light is less than £10.

As a comparison I now have an Exposure Zenith (similar to a Diablo but with a bigger battery) which is lighter and much brighter, needs no messing, and has a lovely mount… and Exposure’s after sales service is fantastic. For me the Zenith offers a level of performance that the cheap torches can’t touch… and I would be happy with a Diablo especially as you can get some good deals on the Diablo. I would not get a Joystick – if I am paying a huge amount more I want ‘brighter’ and the Joystick just isn’t much brighter. As far as run times are concerned an 18650 torch is limited only by how many cells you can carry, but anything which is a sealed unit needs to last for your whole ride (hence a Zenith with a 5000 mAh battery).

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Four4th scorch and a spare battery in yer pocket. I’m gonna flog my diablo and get one.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.