Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Front Derailleur help!!
  • bruders338
    Free Member

Hi just want to confirm that all gears sold work with the 3 on the crank.

what im getting is chain rub on the front derailleur in some gears.

example chain on middle ring on the crank and on the smallest on the rear = chain rub.

now still on the middle but chain on the biggest on the rear no rub..

Also if i put the rear gear on the smallest and want to shift to smallest on crank it wont change at all…

Its a new 2011 ex 8 gone out once on it..is this me just being paranoid or is this an actual problem.

forgive me for the silly question just new and still learning.

thanks

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hmm, considers whether he wants to get embroiled in this one…

Hell, why not 😆

Ooops! premature posting…

Thing is – many will tell you (including the instructions Shimano put in with new mechs) that its unreasonable to expect to be able to use all combinations of gears without some rubbing at the extremes. Allied to this is the argument (which I’m sure someone will be along with soon) that you shouldn’t use all the combinations of gears.

I’m a bit in the minority here, but I actually expect to be able to use all 27, 30, whatever gears I’ve paid for without nasty rubbing noises! And I’ve managed to do it on all the bikes I’ve owned – double/triple, 8/9 speed, hardtail/FS.

But… it does take a bit of patience and fiddling to get it right.

As for your specific issue, I don’t know what FD you have – 8/9/10 speed, SRAM or Shimano, so can’t offer any specific instructions except to say that you start with the right chainline, then match the FD to your crank setup, then set the height on the frame correctly, then the cable tension, and finally start fiddling with the set screws.

Best advice I can give is to bring the thing into your living room one evening, put a nice CD on, and start from scratch following the manufacturers tech docs and/or park tools manuals.

When you’ve got it right its very satisfying!

bruders338
    Free Member

Oh right.. I’m got shamano Deore set up..

But what got me puzzled was that i dont have this problem on my boardman running sram 9 i think.

bigyinn
    Free Member

To be honest, being able to use all combinations of gears isnt recommended. So for example you shouldnt try to use small ring at the front with the last 3 or 4 small sprockets at the back, as the rear mech cannot take up all the chain slack effectively. Also big at front shouldnt be used with the last 3 or 4 biggest sprockets as this is the opposite and the chain will be too tight.
    In the middle ring i’d expect a little chain rub on the mexh if using the biggest or smallest sprockets.
    A lot depends on the chainline of the bike though.

bruders338
    Free Member

Ok i agree not being able to use all the gears. but on the middle ring on the front crank you must be able to use all gears without chain rub so surly that make a design fault???

No one can enjoy noise for the sake of 2mm ish and surly it cant do the chain any good!

but if this is the norm i will just live with it

bigyinn
    Free Member

I wouldnt say design fault really. The width of the chain and therefore the width of the front mech will limit the angle the chain can run at.

bruders338
    Free Member

Something to make you laugh just tinkering with it the over tightern the bolt so now either need to find replacement nut and bolt or a new SLX M661 front derailleur is needed..

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

blimey! all you had to do was win the cable adjuster on the shifter out a bit.

bruders338
    Free Member

Thats what make me laugh it was something stupid and i messed it right up… bike not even a month old..

im gutted

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Front Derailleur help!!’ is closed to new replies.