Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Front derailleur gubbed
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

I was just changing the gear cables on my bike and the screw/nut on the front for the cable disintegrated there, so derailleur off and in the bin(just under 4 year old, so can’t complain).

So anyhow, what’s the script with derailleurs these days, what should i buy? It was a deore LX that was on it, just get like for like, or is there any point in upgrading to a better one?

Also what’s the story with top swing and conventional? What’s better?

Opinions welcome, cheers.

bassspine
    Free Member

get an LX just like the old one, they’re still good value, and I really can’t see the point in spending more on front mechs

ton

look on classifieds
    nice friendly bloke is selling front and rear cheaper than you can buy a front………… 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40545

ton £14 quid seems better than £30, cheers though, if i need both i might have considered it!

bassspine, ta, kinda thinking that myself never had much bother with the Deore so..

dogthomson

Ugh, I hate front mechs! Go 1×10!?

ton

thats deore……….you said lx 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

thats deore……….you said lx

my broke mech says Deore LX, i’m a bit confuddled now! So what’s like for like then with this?

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ugh, I hate front mechs! Go 1×10!?

thought about it for about 2 secs, then had a look at my beer gut! 😀 I like my granny ring, mind you 2×9 does sound appealing i never use the big ring..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Throw it away and the shifter and cable and the big ring and the granny ring and the granny ring bolts. Fit a cheapo superstar chain guide. Tada! 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Mind you i’ll get to test the idea of 1×9 anyhow, skint till payday next friday.. So i’ve got it working without the mech just now..I suspect i’ll be manually shifting it down to the granny for any big hills!

cynic-al
    Free Member

get a new bolt?

it’s consumerism gone mad!

seosamh77
    Free Member

If it was just a bolt i needed i’d get it but…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

x10!?

If you can get a 3×10 cheaper then go for that. Almost the same price / cheaper. Works exactly the same with x9 on front and may be a bit more future proof / sellable?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Front derailleur gubbed’ is closed to new replies.