front chainring 24 or 26 teeth? much difference

Home Forum Bike Forum front chainring 24 or 26 teeth? much difference

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • front chainring 24 or 26 teeth? much difference
  • renton

I bought what i thought was a 26/38 double chain set from merlin cycles and fitted it to my bike and have rode it for 25 miles.

I packed up an old chainset in the shimano box the new one came in and noitced the sticker said 24/38 instead of 26/38.

Ive checked the chainset and it is indeed a 24/38

Will there be much real world difference between a 24 and a 26 ring?

Cheers

Steve

renton

As you’ve built it up and ridden it without noticing I’d suggest that was the best possible indicator that there wasn’t a huge real world difference.

renton

Well to be honest I think i did a bit as to find the right gear i was in the big ring and more than halfway up the rear cassette in some cases.

I was wondering if i had a 26 front then i could use this and be down lower on the cassette to stop chainline issues and premature wear on the drivetrain.

glasgowdan

Your legs are telling you that all they want is a 32… screw the 26 AND the 38 😉

bones76

Where the cranks SLX by any chance…?..

renton

Yep they are!!

Why’s that then?

Premier Icon darrenspink
    Subscriber

Re your original question OP, not a lot of difference as you can imagine.

chris_db

I got the same cranks, the 24t inner is intended for a 29″ set up I think. I found the gears too low on a 26″ and swapped up to a 26t chainring.

It was quite amazeballs really as I’m a complete porker – boy did I feel fit!

Chris

renton

Ok that makes sense.

Just have to wait and see what Merlin say now.

Premier Icon irc
    Subscriber

The answer is a touch less than 10% difference. Or roughly 1 gear on an MTB 10 speed cassette. In other words with the 24 chainring you would be one cog smaller on the cassette to get roughly the same gear.

Also obviously means your gear range is bigger with one gear lower than a 26T chainring would give.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

ride it till it wears out, decide if it’s compromised your riding, and then decide whether you want a 26T to replace it or stick with the 24.

I have 26/38 on my 26er FWIW, but in general I use the big ring almost totally, and only drop to the inner on the front when there’s prolonged climbing or very steep stuff. Short sharp climbs, i use the whole range of the rear even though the chainline is sub-optimal. Then again, I do also ride SS and 1×10 on my 29er so am more likely to gurn and grunt up short stuff anyway. 26-36 is pretty low anyway…….(remembers when 24-28 was a low bottom gear, back in the day)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘front chainring 24 or 26 teeth? much difference’ is closed to new replies.