Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • From VW T4 to Galaxy/sharan etc
  • andysandes
    Free Member

I'm expecting some back lash on this one, but wanting to sell my T4 and looking at replacements.

Although I would love a T5 combi with all the gadgets I don't have a spare 12k to get the one I want.

So looking at a compromise which is a Galaxy the pros for me is more driving comfort and much cheaper. Cons cant chuck my muddy bike straight in anymore.

Has anyone got experience of using these for bike transport, sleeping in the back of etc…i'm looking at an 03/04 130bhp TDI Zetec

cheers

Andy

tracknicko
    Free Member

booooo 😉

GW
    Free Member

Why can't you chuck your muddy bike straight in a Galaxy/Sharan?

antigee

had a 52 galaxy which is same i think – air con was a persistent problem and they are like glass houses – quite a lot about it on the ford forum i think – basically the heat exchanger design is poor and has to be replaced about every 18months – i got two done under warranty / paid for a third which is from memory around £800 as the whole front of car has to come off then got rid of

shame because otherwise good to drive (for an MPV) as you are prob aware the sharan is mechanically identical

oh and the seats are heavy to take out and you need somewhere to keep them

have you looked at a Toyota? "thingy" mate has one and are slightly longer than galaxy so bikes can go in side by side with middle seat in position but you have to unbolt the back seats i think

odannyboy
    Free Member

the seat alhambra is also the same car.ive just bought one.thing is if you buy an SE model youll get more for your mioney spec wise but pay the same.heated screen, heated seats, cruise, sports suspetion etc.i love my 130 tdi! dont know what the drive is like compared to a T4 mind.check the aircon and if its an se bear in mind the tyres are reinforced so bit more pricy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I only have one memory of a galaxy. It still gives me nightmares now. 9 lads Plus luggage last summer travelling from derby to Bradford airport at 3 in the morning! Yes there's only 7 seats and yes 3 of the lads are 6 foot +! utterly stupid but
    funny. What a motor. 3/4 of a ton of derbys finest meat being dragged up the m1 and it never missed a beat!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had a vw sharan and it had loads of niggling faults, not to mention the aircon that cost me well over 1k and still did'nt f'ing work! lovely to drive though, and with seats out enough room to sleep in.

any galaxy/sharan type has huge depreciation, unlike a t5, so why not get a T5 panel van (saw one on the t4forum for 5k or so the other day) and convert it yourself?

SaxonRider

I drive a T4 and my brother drives the Seat Alhambra, so I have experience of both.

I have to say, first of all, that I have felt NO comfort difference in terms of driving. Secondly, I have found the cargo space in the Alhambra to be paltry at best. Even removing seats doesn't leave you the breathing space you would hope for in a carrier like that. Finally, the difference in fuel consumption is negligible. Well-driven, my T4 does just as well as the Alhambra.

The engine in the Alhambra (the VW 1.9 Tdi) is excellent, but otherwise, I could not be convinced to downsize.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Driving comfort?

I find our T4 (ex-AA 2.5) much more comfortable than anything else I've driven, esp on the motorway. Granted it's not as quick as a car on A roads etc and not just because of the speed limits but still it's an easier, more relaxing drive than cars I've owned.

And no one minds throwing muddy bikes in the back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘From VW T4 to Galaxy/sharan etc’ is closed to new replies.