Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • From Out Of Nowhere – ChainSuck!
  • robgarrioch

On a few laps of Lee Quarry this morning, just about went over the bars coming up out if the 'black' quarry, found what I think is the dreaded chainsuck; as though the chain wouldn't release off the granny ring & carried up to get jammed 'twixt ring & frame. Wouldn't stop hap'nin after that.
    Had the bike for 20 months & it's not happened before. Presume either the chain's twisted (doesn't look it) or the ring-teeth have worn / bent to catch / hold the chain on. Probable replacement of g ring to fix.
    Does that sound anywhere near plausible? Ta 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

read all about it best explanation around.

oldgit
    Free Member

Probably worn ring, though middles tend to go sooner IME.
    Might be time to change the cassette and chain?

DezB
    Free Member

This is the perfect time of year for chainsuck. Filth, worn components after the summer and poor shifting due to the unpredictable conditions.
    File your granny's teeth to remove any burrs. (She'll thank you for it 🙂 )

robgarrioch

Wow, the 1st part of that article sums up my experience this morning pretty much exactly! Thanks Bassspine.

Ewan
    Free Member

Worn ring.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too developed it today having dropped my chain landing a jump of the outside of the big ring and putting in half a pedal stroke. At the time didnt spot the one set of inner link plates twisted badly until |I started climbing in granny ring. Just make doubly sure that its not a twisted inner link on the chain. (Carefully straightened with a pair of pliers and a big thumb!)

fisha
    Free Member

new rings solved it for me. ( Superstar cause they were cheapest ).

It cheeses me off how expensive chainrings are.

PJay
    Free Member

Cheap steel Deore inners and grannies are a good choice, they're cheap and seem to have better wear resistance than, albeit lighter, aluminium rings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘From Out Of Nowhere – ChainSuck!’ is closed to new replies.