From Golf GT TDI 170 to Audi A3 TDI or BMW 118d or ?????????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • From Golf GT TDI 170 to Audi A3 TDI or BMW 118d or ?????????
  • dickie

I’m on a car allowance at work & in March 08 bought a new VW Golf GT TDI 170 5 door for £18,400 through a car broker.
    The Golf is fantastic, I love it to bits, love the handling & the grunt from the engine without having to thrash it.

But its soon to be 5 years old & the company policy with the car allowance means it has to go so I’m now looking into what to replace it with. I’ll be paying for it with the money from the Golf sale plus monthly repayments on a cheap personal loan.

Ideally I’d like something similar, good resale value, quality car, diesel, 5 door, similar power & as long a warranty as possible, & similar payments per month as current (£273/mth). Car allowance is £4600 pa although I don’t mind spending a little of my own money as well for something nice.
    15-20K annual mileage.

Currently starting to look at:
    Another Golf but they are a lot more money now.
    OR 6mth-1yr old Audi A3 5 door sportback, 140 or 170 TDI S-Line or Black Edition – again pricy.
    OR BMW 118d M-Sport 5 door, I prefer the older shape, less money than the two above but also less warranty for older shape, but possibly favourite at the moment.

OR – what else is worth a look, or better way to spend the money, I’m not really upto date on the current car market or finance options, so any advice would be useful. Small 5 door hatch prefered, Mondeo size is too big.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

Had a look at Skoda… Yeti looks pretty good and doesnt have the brand premium of VW or Audi … Octy Vrs estate for instance.. ?

you are paying a lot for a badge on the front. You basically want a 5 door reasonable nippy and well built diesel car. Lots of options out there, don’t discount the Skoda Yeti if you fancy 4×4 capacbilities

mjrose

Or the new Skoda rapid

freeagent

I have a 5-door 118D ES as a company car –
    it has just had its first MOT, and done 75k.
    It has been faultless, it has just had it 3rd set of rear tyres, and is on its second set of fronts.
    I get 48-51 mpg out of a tank, worst tankfull has been 44mpg, best was 56mpg.
    I’d recommend one – it is fun to drive, only criticism is it is very small inside, and not ideal now I have two kids (only had one when I got the car!)

b r

Out of interest what is your Golf now worth, ie cost to change.

And why not go for 2-3 year old and swap more often? Or could you just run a private plate and no one at work would know its 5 years old?

dickie

br – not sure, its done 80K, may be £7-8K?
    Yes could consider spending less & swopping more often, & work said they don’t police it very strickly but its a case of keep longer worth less or sell now while worth more.
    Or keep as long as I can get away with it & put my current monthly repayment amount (which ends in feb) in savings account to put down later.
    I need to consider all the options hence asking for suggestions.

aP

Focus ST Estate

b r

Ok, so another Golf is going to cost you about £200 pcm just in depreciation – so other cars will be more/less.

tbh I’d look at cars that have already lost a load of cash, 2 yrs old say – you could easily save £100 a month (reduced depreciation/finance costs).

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

Sit in your golf (or the Audi or BMW that you are looking at), and then go sit in a Skoda. It will feel like a massive step down in ergonomics and quality. That’s one of the reasons why they cost thousands less. This is less important to some people than others, and something only you can decide.

i’ve had three 1 series, the 118D, the 120D and the awesome 123D, all been great cars except the last one the 118D. It feels like a de-tuned 120D and if you’re looking at the outgoing model the 120D (i’m fairly sure) has the better economy by about 1mpg and the tax is similar.

I have a 320D M Sport and the servicing costs are a joke with BMW now. Because they sell the ‘inclusive service’ packs with new and used (through the network only) they have ramped up the service prices. I bought a year old 320D M Sport from Motorpoint, was £21K (£33K new) and had 14K on clock when I got it on it’s 1st anniversary on May 1st at 17K in June it had a service and the air con needed re-gassed because the previous owner never put air con on, so £380 bill. In October it had done 35K and needed a ‘major’ service and it cost £570. When I got out to the car and put the key in the service indicator said 6000 miles til next service, so I went back in and queried it and they said it may be because the front pads may be due (despite them being given a clean bill of health).

That 6000 has caught up already and when i called the dealer again they want me to pay £130 for an ‘inspection service’ which means they look at it and don’t do anything!! It says the oil needs changing in 10K so that’ll be another £300.

I do mega miles in mine and whilst the build quality is exceptional the running costs are high. I called BMW UK and asked if I could buy a service pack and they said I could, I called the dealer and said it was £350 for one that covers 0-60,000 miles but only if the vehicle is sold through the network. I could have had 60,000 miles of servicing less than the cost of my first service.

I bought it because I’ve had various BMW’s (all company cars on lease) and this time I opted out and thought a premium german car would handle mega mileage, the car handles it but my allowance has taken a big dent. I get £595 a month and then 45ppm/25/ppm so it’s a genrous allowance but with tyres costing £220 a corner and service bills like that I’ll go VW/Skoda on next car.

I had an Audi A3 Sportback Black Edition and it was a real head turner but it was a back breaker too, Audi just can’t make a car handle and be comfy like BMW can

brakes

the Golf, Audi and BMW may all get the anti-brand snobs twitching at the spinchter but they’re all good cars but are very different in how they drive. try before you buy.

oh and I’ve had a new BMW118D and it was an excellent car, the power seemed better than old dhae and it was doing 65mpg on a run, little bit larger than the old shape and they’ve got rid of the offset steering/sitting postiion too. If you’re budget allows and you plan on keeping it I’d consider a 118D Sport ( They have a sport and an M Sport in range now)

and get the service pack 😆

shotsaway

I’ll throw another car into the mix. Last month I spent a couple of days in Spain trying the Golf 7. This car will potentially up the anti in that segment and in my opinion the Golf 7 is a better car than the New Mercedes A Class and BMW 1 series. The quality of the materials and the build quality is 1st class.

Although the Golf 7 looks similar to the 6 it is a car is a brand new vehicle. New engines (2 of the cylinders switch off when at cruising speed, which will save loads of fuel – petrol only). New safety features and the interior is well laid out and everything is where it should be. The top of the range infotainment system is fantastic (standard on the GT, I think). The screen works like smart phones. You can scroll, enlarge etc. it also reads geotags, so if you uploaded a photo with a geotag, the Sat Nav will be able to take you straight there.

I drove the GT with DSG and I was very impressed with the car. Volkswagen are so confident that if people test drive the new Golf they will probably buy one.

The car will also have class leading residuals with 47% after 3 years. The current Golf is at 40%, the New A Class 46% and the 1 series is about 43% (from memory). The new car will only be a couple of hundred pounds more than the outgoing 6.

The motoring press seem to love it as well and in one magazine last week (Autocar or Autoexpress) the only fault they could find was that the air con temperature display was a little on the small side.

The dealers will have their demonstrators before the end of the year and the car is due to go on sale in early January, so before the OP does anything, I would suggest getting a test drive in one of these.

I am a Golf fan but this new car is really very good. . I’ll certainly be looking to get a GTI or GTD when they arrive later in 2013.

Edited bit: this may not be important to some people but I thought it was an excellent idea – when you need more room in the boot and need to remove the parcel shelf, you will be able to store it under the floor in the boot rather than in your garage. Just a really simple idea

nealglover

the Golf, Audi and BMW may all get the anti-brand snobs twitching at the spinchter but they’re alll good cars….

And you aren’t “just paying for the badge” either.

I’m a Valeter and spend a lot of time inside loads of different types of cars, and the premium German Cars (Merc/VW/Audi/BMW) are significantly different in both the materials used and the build quality.

The difference in the quality also reflects the ability to remove Marks/Stains/Pet Hair/Haribo/Mud etc etc. from the seats and carpets, and keep the plastics inside looking good.

Premium German cars always come up like new (literally like new)
    Cheaper German cars (Skoda/Seat) can be hard work and often the plastics are often permanently marked or discoloured and the carpets look worn very quickly.
    French cars (in general) have nasty loop weave carpets that refuse to give up the dirt and fall apart very quickly.

The car will also have class leading residuals with 47% after 3 years. The current Golf is at 40%, the New A Class 46% and the 1 series is about 43% (from memory). The new car will only be a couple of hundred pounds more than the outgoing 6.

How can they know what the value will be in 3 years time?

FunkyDunc

If you think a dull Golf drives well, then the BMW will be in a different league all together.

nealglover

How can they know what the value will be in 3 years time?

Experience. It’s not exact, but its fairly accurate, and with the way many finance packages are calculated, it’s pretty important that they get these things right.

Went from an Octavia VRS 170bhp TDI to a 118D M sport 144bhp. Obviously a little less room but drives really well. All the bells/whistles and cheaper than another 2nd hand same type of spec VRS!

I am hunting down a set of winter wheels at the minute as I predict it will be a mare in the snow/ice. The Octavia was crazy with its low profile 18’s

ski

Went through this last year for my Mrs, the new BMW 1 Series felt spot on driving position wise, the electronic steering was amazing, the Golf driving position has always felt too high for us and she wanted something with more of a sporty feel to it. The Audi felt detached to drive compared to the BMW, why I don’t know why but boring univolved to drive.

Only neg. for the BMWus was the rear seat space, boot was bigger than we expected.

Skoda fabia estate would be about the same size with similar engine. Hit every branch falling out the ugly tree though.

dickie

Thanks for some really good feed back, especially the BMW service pack business!

jd-boy

Focus ST Tdci would be my choice, or the Skoda, and to the guy who says the ergo in the golf are better than the Skoda, poppycock, rather drive the Skoda over the vanilla Golf, just boring and bland. and Ive driven most cars having done some work with car rental companys. also talk to a lot of taxi guys, top of their list is Skoda Octavia. 8)

118d sport here. It’s now a year old and been faultless (touch wood). Went for this rather than the m sport as I wanted more comfort on the motorways from the wheels. Feels sporty enough to me but I’m no boy racer. Fits a family of four in nicely, will use a roof box if needed for the summer hols

Very economical, cheap on tyres. Not had the joy of servicing it yet as its covered under a plan.

Taff

My old man didn’t rate his A3 against his GT TDi. He’s had two in a row now

dickie

Is there such a thing as a Focus ST TDCI ?? I can’t find one.

dickie

jd-boy – can you send me a link to a Focus ST tdci??

titusrider

Id be tempted to say take a look at the Alfa guilietta, good mpg and tax brakets and plenty of grunt and residuals not as bad as they used to be.

ericemel

I had the same choice and test drove all 3 plus others and choose the 1 Series albeit the 120d plus a load of toys.

I do not regret it one bit. Had it over a year now (just) – its the new shape and awesome.

Its super crap in the snow though!

jfletch

Old shape 116d here. Nice to drive but ridiculously tiny in the back and boot. As I basically just use it for comuting and use the wifes ginormobox for family things thats OK but as a general car its crap.

I have a child seat in the back for unplanned child duties and it renders the passenger seat useless for all but tiny people.

I’d have a Golf if I was paying myself.

ericemel

Nice to drive but ridiculously tiny in the back and boot

The new shape is ALOT bigger – more akin to the older 3 series. I believe the new 1 has the biggest boot in class – I can get 3 bikes in no prob with the seats down.

jfletch

The new shape is ALOT bigger – more akin to the older 3 series. I believe the new 1 has the biggest boot in class – I can get 3 bikes in no prob with the seats down.

This is what I’ve seen as well. The new shape does look nice but the OP was enquiring about the old.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

There is no such car as a Focus ST diesel.

I think you’d have to get a Titanium if you wanted a high spec Focus diesel.

dickie

No No, also interested in the new 1 series too! Thanks for the comments.

mk1fan

You need to list out what you need from the car. From pure driving pointpof view then BMW are top of the class. However, the interior space is worse in class by a long way. A3 boot and interior feel cramped too.

Bottom line is that you should test drive all of them and pick the one you like.

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

Taxi drivers like Skoda Octavia’s because they are cheap. If you think it’s for any other (primary) reason you are deluding yourself.

Skodas are very overrated, mostly due to cheapskate owners overcompensating for the historic derision associated with the brand. You need to be thicker skinned! Accept them as cheaper, more basic motoring and you are on the right track. They offer reasonable value for money – they are cheap, and you get what you pay for.

If you don’t appreciate what premium brands offer over a Skoda, you won’t miss the difference. Totally depends on your expectations. 😆

b r

Taxi drivers like Skoda Octavia’s because they are cheap.

No, taxi drivers need reliability and cheap to run.

Premier Icon angeldust
    Subscriber

You are, of course, partly right, but in this context you are missing the point…..

jd-boy implied that Taxi drivers go for Skodas because they are great to drive, have great ergonomics and build, and high quality interiors (all the ways in which I stated Golfs, Audi’s and BMW’s were better).

They don’t. They go for them because they are cheap.

Premier Icon BrickMan
    Subscriber

taxi co’s get them 20 at a time for approx £12k for the base saloon with the older 1.9 PD130 lump in them, its what I’ve heard, so yeah, for that price CANNOT go wrong. But, there are nicer more refined motors out there obviously.
    Mazda 5 (?) estates with the 2.0 and 2.2 diesels are pretty good if you want an alternative tot he germans.

mjrose

Audi, VW, Skoda and Seat running gear is identical. You can spec identical engines and gearboxes across all four brands. Reliability is therefore also similar between the four. Taxis choose Skoda because they get vag group reliability and a hard wearing if not flash interior for Citroen money. Given that skodas also ride better, I’d say they offer better value.

I own mk2 octy and a mk6 golf, and I prefer the Skoda.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘From Golf GT TDI 170 to Audi A3 TDI or BMW 118d or ?????????’ is closed to new replies.