• This topic has 46 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Frog eating dog
  • samuri
    Free Member

Not a frog eating a dog, but a dog that eats frogs.

Two ponds in the garden, a large brook at the end of the garden equals lots of frogs in the garden.

Our dog hates frogs. Picks them up, large and small, kills them, chews them.

Trouble is, this doesn’t seem to agree with her insides. After she’s eaten a frog she’ll froth at the mouth for a bit, sometimes be sick and then later will poo this horrible yellow slop.

The only option is to keep her out of the back garden which is a bit sad. I’m struggling to think of another solution that works but hey, STW is the Richard Madeley of the internet, if the answer isn’t here then it doesn’t exist.

Fill me with knowledge on what to do. Ta.

felt
    Free Member

Cane toads seem to work in Australia 😈

pixelmix
    Free Member

* Opens thread expecting gruesome youtube video. Leaves disappointed *

sprocker
    Free Member

I hate frogs scare me, never tried eating one though.

DezB
    Free Member

Your dog is thick eh? My dog ate slugs once. Once, because they didn’t agree with her insides and made her sick.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, she’s a bit of a slow learner. She really hates frogs though so perhaps she accepts a case of the squirts is a small price to pay for their extermination.

FuzzyWuzzy

What are you doing when she’s chasing and eating the frogs? Shouldn’t you be shouting/squirting her with a water pistol?

camo16
    Free Member

Seems an obvious question I know, but… is there anything particularly evil about these frogs?

Reason I ask is that dogs are great at picking up the scent of evil. Happens in movies all the time.

Your dog might be doing you, your family and possibly the human race a massive favour.

#beforeyoujudge

DezB
    Free Member

What have they ever done to her?

Drac

Have a right time stopping my terrier from killing toads in our garden. So far I don’t think he’s succeeded but as he plays out there a fair bit I can’t be sure.

samuri
    Free Member

I tried to find a collar that gave her electric shocks whenever she eats a frog but they don’t seem to exist.

samuri
    Free Member

My suspicion is that she perceives frogs to be evil because of the horrible way they move about the place. Move, stop, move, stop. It’s not right.

She’s also quite unhappy with snails because they move….and yet don’t move.

clanton
    Free Member

Not sure how to stop the behaviour but worth mentioning that frogs (and especially snails!) can transmit lungworm to dogs. So use something to prevent this – Advocate spot on or Milbemax worming (monthly)

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah not sure on how best to deter the behaviour but I think you’ll have to do something as they’re bad news along with snails. Strict monitoring unless you can keep them to their end and her to her end. If you cant monitor then dont let her out with them. Keep mega good treats (trip sticks maybe) and swap her the frogs for the sticks til she realises theres much better stuff to do with her time?

atlaz
    Free Member

Made her vomit and given her the shits. It’s like those morons who blame other people for the consequences of the thing they did, for example the people who blame the police when they’re caught speeding.

kimbers

is it a bat?

some frogs bite back

bearnecessities

Install some bunnies.

glenp
    Free Member

I don’t really understand this question. OP – you do realise that it is possible to teach dogs things, don’t you? Can you really not work the rest out for yourself?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Make sure your garden isn’t frog friendly? Do you have a pond? Frogs and toads like dark damp places, and frogs like ponds, so take away hiding places and a pond if you have one and they won’t live in your garden.

Tell the dog off every time it gets one? Dogs are generally anxious to please and if you make it clear you don’t like that behaviour it may stop.

samuri
    Free Member

No, sorry. So I can train my dog, not to be a dog? I must admit, I didn’t realise this was an option. I mean, even very intelligent working dogs like farm collies can’t be taught how to stop behaving in a dog-like fashion so any pointers on how to train a stupid lap dog would be appreciated.

It’d be useful if I can teach her to do the washing while we’re out as well so any help there would be appreciated also.

felt
    Free Member

cbmotosport

Two ponds in the garden

Kind of a clue there isn’t here? 😆

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, two ponds which we could get rid off, it’s certainly an option.
    The 15 foot wide brook at the bottom of the garden will be a bit more difficult though.

I presume though that once we remove the ponds, they’ll stay in the brook, mostly.

samuri
    Free Member

Presumably they’re coming in from the brook. I wonder if I can effectively partition the garden off from the brook, extract all the frogs and then have no more problems.

Can frogs climb? How high can they jump?

glenp
    Free Member

Sorry for the sarcastic tone, but surely you have taught the dog other things? Takes persistence, patience, consistency etc. How did you teach it not eat shit? Or do you just let it do anything it likes?

I can’t believe it has to be spelled out. Try getting a frog and having it near the dog whilst the dog is calm. My dog chases rabbits, but not the rabbit that lives in our garden. There is no magic to it, just commonsense and patience.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

felt – Member
    cbmotosport

Two ponds in the garden
    Kind of a clue there isn’t here?

😳 That’ll teach me to skim read…

DezB
    Free Member

the people who blame the police when they’re caught speeding.

Wow, surely not a sly dig at something from over a year ago!?!? I don’t remember any of your threads, let alone those from over a year ago!
    (If not a dig, ignore!)

Takes persistence, patience, consistency etc. How did you teach it not eat shit?
    He missed out “shouting” 😆

glenp
    Free Member

I tried to find a collar that gave her electric shocks whenever she eats a frog but they don’t seem to exist.

Er. they DO exist! Fit collar, wait until dog chases frog, press button and say “no”.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I wait to be corrected, but I don’t think frogs like running water, I think your problem is the ponds.

DezB
    Free Member

If it doesn’t learn from puking and splurting poo, will it learn from a little jolt?

kayak23

Is this your dog?

glenp
    Free Member

DezB are you serious? The dog doesn’t link the puking and the frog because they are separated by time. I am not suggesting using a collar, by the way, only that it is pretty dumb not to figure out how a collar works – the human needs to be observant of the dog’s behaviour and intervene at the right moment in the right way, whether it be with a command, a collar, using a lead, whatever.

woody2000

What have they ever done to her?

😀

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If the frog bit back there and then, the dog would quickly learn that they’re best avoided. The collar would do the same job if you wanted to go that route.

glenp
    Free Member

Take the dog, on a lead, down to the ponds. Walk it around, calmly. If that is not feasible take the dog to a completely neutral place and teach it to walk calmly on the lead. If you can’t walk your dog calmly on a lead you are maybe not a dog person.

Then go back to the garden, progressively towards the more exciting areas if necessary. Build up to having the dog sitting calmly near the water. When the dog gets excited by a frog, give it whatever signal you use for “no”. I use the rather weird method of saying “no”. Combine with a jerk on the lead (not hard, that’s not the point). Repeat, repeat, repeat.

zokes
    Free Member

I wait to be corrected, but I don’t think frogs like running water,

Nah, it’s only a brook, so at best it’ll be jogging water.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d like to avoid collars at the moment. All advice appreciated though. This dog is very hard to train to do anything, although I agree that could be my poor training. I’ll put some fine mesh up at the end of the garden to stop frogs getting through from the brook and then extract any frogs from the ponds. See if that works.

That’s my weekend sorted then.

camo16
    Free Member

Combine with a jerk on the lead

Ooh, sounds like fun. Can I volunteer to be the jerk? 8)

DezB
    Free Member

DezB are you serious?

Not all the time.
    So what taught my dog not to eat slugs after her first attempt? I don’t think she read about it on STW.
    (And camo16 wasn’t anywhere near the lead)

atlaz
    Free Member

Wow, surely not a sly dig at something from over a year ago!?!? I don’t remember any of your threads, let alone those from over a year ago!

Not in the slightest, it was an off the cuff comment because of something a mate said to me over a beer at the weekend about a recent speeding fine. There are some epic threads I remember the originator of, at least one of whom is inclined to email you to piss and moan if you bring it up but whatever that thread was that you’re referring to I have no idea.

(If not a dig, ignore!)

Consider it ignored. After this I mean

glenp
    Free Member

Apologies again for the p!ss-taking tone – but sadly, dog training takes huge amounts of time and patience and I don’t believe there is really a substitute. It is part of having a dog.

Hunting behaviour is really difficult to control too. But impossible without the basics first.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Frog eating dog’ is closed to new replies.