Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Friends…..
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I always have and always will ride alone

astonishing! Exact opposite for me :o)

loddrik
    Free Member

I like my own company, plus I ride where an when I want at whatever pace I want, I wuld hate to ride with other riders. Solitude is bliss.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

Cheers, Aleigh.

Loddrik.

I know exactly where you’re coming from. Quite a few friends of mine have ended up that way too. I’m happy for them, the families they have started should always be top priority, imo. 🙂

Cycling with friends is always going to come 3rd to bringing home the bread and breaking it with family.

CC

jimmy

Slightly off, but what binners said reminded me of no. 25, so here’s the lot

Reasons why men are better than women – Beginners guide to male psyche

>1, OPENING JARS – nnng, she’s struggling. You take it from her hands,
    >open it effortlessly and pretend she loosened it for you. She didn’t.
    >Jars are men’s work.
    >
    >
    >2, CALLING SOMEONE ‘SON’ – Especially policeman but even saying it to
    >kids makes you the man.
    >
    >
    >3, DOING A PROPER SLIDE TACKLE – Beckham free kicks? Gay. A Stuart
    >Pearce tackle is the pinnacle of the game, simultaneously winning the
    >ball and crippling the man. Magic.
    >
    >
    >4, SHARPENING A PENCIL WITH A STANLEY KNIFE – Blunt, is it? Hand it here
    >love. No, I don’t need a sharpener, you think I can’t whittle.
    >
    >
    >5, GOING TO THE TIP – A manly act which combines driving, lifting and –
    >as you thrillingly drop your rubbish into another huge pile of other
    >rubbish noisy destruction.
    >
    >
    >6, DRINKING UP – Specifically, rising from the table, slinging your coat
    >on and downing two thirds of a pint in one fluid movement. Then nodding
    >towards the door, saying, “Let’s go” and striding out while everyone
    >else struggles to catch up with you. God, you’re hard.
    >
    >
    >7, HAVING A THIN BIT OF WOOD – in the shed, solely to stir paint with.
    >
    >
    >8, HAVING A SCAR – Ideally it’ll be a facial knife wound, but even an
    >iron burn on the wrist is good. “Ooh, did it hurt”. “Nah”.
    >
    >
    >9, HAVING A HANGOVER AND THICK STUBBLE – When birds have been partying
    >they just whinge. You, on the other hand have physical evidence of your
    >hardness, sprouting from your face. “Big night?” Grr, what does it look
    >like.
    >
    >
    >10, NODDING AT COPPERS – A moments eye contact is all it takes for you
    >to share the unspoken bond. “We’ve not seen eye to eye in the past”, it
    >says, “but someone’s got to keep the little scrotes in line”.
    >
    >
    >11, USING POWER TOOLS – slightly more powerful than you need or can
    >safely handle. One Handed with a pencil on the ear? Superb.
    >
    >
    >12, KICKING A FOOTY AGAINST A GARAGE DOOR – Clang-g-g-g-g-g-! Stitch
    >that becks, I kick so hard I set off car alarms.
    >
    >
    >13, ARRIVING IN A PUB LATE… and everyone cheers you. It doesn’t mean
    >you’re popular, it just means your mates are ****ed. However, the rest
    >of the pub doesn’t know that.
    >
    >
    >14, NOT WATCHING YOUR WEIGHT – fat is a feminist issue, apparently.
    >Brilliant. Pass the pork scratchings.
    >
    >
    >15, CARVING THE ROAST – and saying “are you a leg or breast man” to the
    >blokes and “do you want stuffing” to the women. Congratulations, you are
    >now your dad.
    >
    >
    >16, WINKING – turns women to putty. Doesn’t it?
    >
    >
    >17, TEST SWINGING HAMMERS – ideally, B&Q would have little changing
    >rooms with mirrors so you could see how rugged you look with any DIY
    >item. Until then, we’ll make do with the aisles.
    >
    >
    >18, TAKING OUT £500 FROM A CASHPOINT – okay, so its for paying the
    >plumber (or a ‘quiet one with John Sams)but with that much cash you feel
    >like a mafia don. The only thing better is peeling notes off the roll
    >later.
    >
    >
    >19, PHONE CALLS THAT LAST LESS THAN A MINUTE – unlike birds, we get
    >straight to the point. “alright? Yep. Drink? Red lion? George, it is
    >then. Seven. See ya.”
    >
    >
    >20, PARALLEL PARKING – bosh, straight in. first time.
    >
    >
    >21, HAVING EARNED THAT PINT – Since the dawn of time, men have toiled in
    >the fields in blistering heat. Why? So, when it’s over we can stand
    >there in silence, surveying our work with one hand resting on the beer
    >gut while the other nurses a foaming jug of ale. Aaaah.
    >
    >
    >22, HAVING SOMETHING PROPERLY WRONG WITH YOU – especially if you didn’t
    >make a fuss. “Why was I off, nothing much, just a brain haemorrhage”.
    >
    >
    >23, KNOWING WHICH SCREWDRIVER IS WHICH – “a Phillips? For that? Are you
    >mad, bint?”
    >
    >
    >24, TAKING A NEWSPAPER INTO THE LOO – a visual code that says that’s
    >right, i’m going in there for a huge, long man-sized ****.
    >
    >
    >25, CALLING YOUR MATE A C**T – and punching him on the shoulder. Just a
    >man’s way of saying “you’re a good mate; I missed you while you were in
    >hospital”.

aleigh
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden on my own but know the time is about to arrive! 😯 Someone said to me earlier today to take my ipod when I go alone, when I said if I played my ipod I wouldn’t be able to hear anyone come up behind me, he said ‘don’t worry, your moaning and poor music coming from your headphones will make any other riders pass you carefully and with a very wide birth 😉 ‘

Don’t you just love friends like that?! 😆

It was said in jest……..I hope lol

loddrik
    Free Member

Why take your iPod, just listen to nature, what could be better than that…?

aleigh
    Free Member

I’ll take it with me, whether I use it is another matter

Moses

I hope you’ve learned to map-read by now! 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Some corrections/clarifications needed here, for the sake of honesty:

>1, OPENING JARS- women often can’t be arsed, and get men to do jobs that require a bit of effort, as they know it feeds their egos..
    >
    >
    >2, CALLING SOMEONE ‘SON’- countered with them calling you ‘sir’, which makes you feel old…
    >
    >3, DOING A PROPER SLIDE TACKLE – where you miss both ball and player by a mile, and end up looking a tit…
    >
    >
    >4, SHARPENING A PENCIL WITH A STANLEY KNIFE – trip to A+E, with a large gaping wound pissing blood, wishing you’d used a pencil sharpener…
    >
    >
    >5, GOING TO THE TIP – You end up bringing home more cr4p than you went with…
    >
    >
    >6, DRINKING UP – Downing the pint in 3 seconds, then ejecting it within 30 seconds of getting outside, with nearly the same speed…
    >
    >
    >7, HAVING A THIN BIT OF WOOD – in the shed, solely to stir paint with. Fair point, well made.
    >
    >
    >8, HAVING A SCAR – from an iron burn, that hurt like buggery, and required 3 days on the sofa, groaning gently and insisting you have narrowly escaped death. May inspire the ‘victim’ to write a blog of their ‘trauma’…
    >
    >9, HAVING A HANGOVER AND THICK STUBBLE – you just look like death warmed up, and no-one thinks it’s big, or clever. You just tell yourself that, to try and feel a bit better, whilst knowing you’ve acted like a complete idiot, once again…
    >
    >
    >10, NODDING AT COPPERS – No **** way. They should tip their hat to you, if you are a real man…
    >
    >
    >11, USING POWER TOOLS – You become a regular fixture down at A+E, and are on first-name terms with the staff…
    >
    >
    >12, KICKING A FOOTY AGAINST A GARAGE DOOR – You miss the garage door by miles, ball goes through neighbour’s window, you blame ‘those kids that ran away’…
    >
    >13, ARRIVING IN A PUB LATE… and everyone cheers you. It doesn’t mean
    >you’re popular, it just means your mates are ****ed. Everyone else thinks ‘who’s this pr1ck?’…
    >
    >
    >14, NOT WATCHING YOUR WEIGHT – then wondering why, in your late 30s, no women look at you any more, always supposing they ever did…
    >
    >15, CARVING THE ROAST – and never saying “are you a leg or breast man” to the
    >blokes and “do you want stuffing” to the women, because if you did, you’d look an utter knob.

>
    >
    >16, WINKING – involuntarily, because you’ve developed a sty…
    >
    >
    >17, TEST SWINGING HAMMERS – and smashing something on display, which you then try to claim ‘just fell’…
    >
    >
    >18, TAKING OUT £500 FROM A CASHPOINT – and shitting yourself, in case some nasty robbing **** have seen you do so…
    >
    >
    >19, PHONE CALLS THAT LAST LESS THAN A MINUTE – unless you’re on the bog, in which case, can take several hours…
    >
    >
    >20, PARALLEL PARKING – bosh; sh1t, hope the owners of the other car don’t notice that dent…
    >
    >
    >21, HAVING EARNED THAT PINT – Men who genuinely toil in the blistering heat (IE, no-one in Britain), do not develop beer-guts, and the only men that do are lazy bastards who do **** all strenuous…
    >
    >
    >22, HAVING SOMETHING PROPERLY WRONG WITH YOU – God Forbid, as a slight cold sees you on the sofa for three days, believing you are at Death’s door…
    >
    >
    >23, KNOWING WHICH SCREWDRIVER IS WHICH -but not remembering where you’ve put them…
    >
    >
    >24, TAKING A NEWSPAPER INTO THE LOO – because you are seriously constipated…
    >
    >
    >25, CALLING YOUR MATE A C**T – Because you are unable to express true affection, at the risk of looking like a ‘puff’. A sure sign of deep insecurity, and possible covering up of latent tendancies…

Got a bonfire needs p1ssing on? 😉

Moses

Thanks, Fred/Az – wonderful.

Conor
    Free Member

aleigh – Member

I haven’t ridden on my own but know the time is about to arrive! [8O] Someone said to me earlier today to take my ipod when I go alone, when I said if I played my ipod I wouldn’t be able to hear anyone come up behind me, he said ‘don’t worry, your moaning and poor music coming from your headphones will make any other riders pass you carefully and with a very wide birth [:wink:] ‘

Don’t you just love friends like that?! [:lol:]

It was said in jest……..I hope lol

Sounds like your friend just has a unique sense of humour and wouldn’t dare be cheeky to you!

aleigh
    Free Member

Thanks Conor 😉

Moses, it’s a trail centre and I won’t need to map read – I hope 😯

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

I’ve tried the cycling while listening to music thing. I doesn’t work for me. I find it either distracts from the ride, or I don’t fully appreicate what I’m listing to as I’m concentrating on staying on two wheels.

I don’t get the full benefit from doing either, if I combine the two.

CC

mboy
    Free Member

What RudeBoy said a few hours ago (christ, he’s making too much sense too much of the time these days!).

People do change, and sadly at different rates. Out of all of my good friends from school and university, I’m the one that has probably changed the least, and as a result, I feel a bit on my own. At 28 I’m still single, and want to go out every Saturday night and party, and do random things at random times. All my mates are getting married, and seem to have forgotten what midnight is, let alone a nightclub!

That said I have also made new friends, and also have chatted with all my best friends about said situation, and they have all agreed to make more effort towards still being friends with me if I do with them. Which actually seems to be working out ok now, as I’m at least seeing more of them (instead of just getting excuses as to why they can’t come out to play) and when we see each other we of course have a damned good laugh.

The single biggest factor in how much people change though seems to be their choice of partner. My one friend is getting married in a few months, couldn’t get on with his fiancee better, she’s superb! Other friends I have I have not seen for ages just because their GF’s are or were totally controlling, and disapproving of me as a friend (hell, i’m not that bad!), and seeing as how most men seem to like a big thumbprint on their head (not me I might add), I have lost contact with quite a few. Still, maybe in a few years time that might change, or I might find someone, get married and all the rest! Who knows.

aleigh
    Free Member

In all honesty I think me, music and riding is a disaster waiting to happen! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Friends…..’ is closed to new replies.