Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Friday's moral conundrum
  • BoardinBob

A "friend" spent some money in an Irish supermarket a few weeks ago. The transaction was £32.46.

When they checked their bank statement a few days later they discovered the transaction had been debited 3 times. £97.38 in total.

They contacted the supermarket who already knew and said it had happened to a lot of people. It was a mistake by the bank and they'd be refunding the money in a few days.

A few days pass and my friend has checked their bank account to discover 4 credits to the account for the original transaction amount plus a transaction marked as "compensation" for £30.05.

So they've went from being debited £97.38 to being credited with £159.89.

So fine, upstanding Christian people of STW. What would you do?

brakes
    Free Member

spend it on bike bits
    all £160 of it
    free money!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'd forget about and see what happens. But my morals are fairly inconsistent 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Bearing in mind the generous compo I'd write and offer to repay the error … but then probably lose the envelope

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. You've gotta give it back. Maybe…. 😉

izakimak
    Free Member

Go back and spend the money in the supermarket on beer or wine or whatever, then if they come asking for it you can say i've already given it back to you. 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

spend it on imported teen whores, drugs and then waste the remainder?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Ian Munro – Member

I'd forget about and see what happens. But my morals are fairly inconsistent

X2

nickc

It's not your money.

sofatester
    Free Member

It's not your money

When has that ever mattered? 🙄

binners

That'd cover a gram of coke and a BJ. Whats not to like?

DezB
    Free Member

Take binners up on his kind offer

MikeT-23
    Free Member

I'd move over there and shop in that store on a regular basis.
    In time, it could prove to be quite a lucrative choice.

dobo
    Free Member

life too short to worry about this..if it were a local shop i might be in contact but a supermarket…

i would add, that you have not stolen it and they only have to ask for it back and i would

mind you, you may get a mega karma pay back for letting them know or their incompetence may empty your account 🙂

daveob
    Free Member

If he's never likely to go back keep it. If it's his local offer to repay.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I had a similar dilemma last week, with a council invoice for about £550 which |I rang up to pay. The fella on the phone said £91 owing on the account. I paused for a bit 🙂 and then said that can't be right etc. He promised to look into it. I've now got an invoice for £540 🙁 and feel like a ****. I'm slightly appeased by the fact that it's gone into the council coffers, and they'd probably have discovered the error anyway. Supermarket? **** em, they've been ripping you for years 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

I wouldn't have noticed. But… if I had I couldn't be arsed with the hassle of sorting out someone else's mistake given the small amount. Give it to a forum owner to pay for servers and stuff 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Friday's moral conundrum’ is closed to new replies.