Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Friday tyre question – opinions on DHF vs DHR on the rear
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Currently using Rampage 2.35's which don't have enough grip in reasonably muddy conditions, but it's not gloopy enough at the mo to justify putting my Trailrakers back on.

Going to submit to the STW force and try Maxxis for the first time. Highrollers look too near the Rampages so going to go for single ply Kevlar Minion 2.35's. What's your views on going DHF or DHR on the rear.

Bike is BLT2 and all riding is in highland Scotland

Thanks

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Highroller rear will cope better than a Minion I reckon. But if you want a Minion, stick with the rear.

GW
    Free Member

no it won't

as long as you keep them rolling a DHF copes better than a Highroller in every situation except braking (but not noticably) and technical climbing IME

BLT?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

GW – BLT is a SC Blur LT2. I do quite a lot of techical climbs and descents. Not so worried about braking as I am not a slam the anchors on at high speed kind of guy

aldomac
    Free Member

Put a DHR on the rear, breaking and climbing better I found.

poppa
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that a Minion 2.35 will be significanly narrower than a Rampage 2.35. Might actually be better for riding in mud that way though.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The DHF fine on the rear

Cheapskate that I am, I tend to buy one new DHf at a time and stick it on the front and use the old front on the rear until it's properly knackered.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just bear in mind that a Minion 2.35 will be significanly narrower than a Rampage 2.35

Interesting comment. Don't want to go much narrower than the Rampage. Anyone got a single ply Minion 2.35 on a reasonably wide rim that they could measure the width of?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Maxxis 2.35 is the same as a Michelin 2.2, as spotted yesterday (Swampthing VS Mud 3 on MTX)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Maxxis 2.35 is the same as a Michelin 2.2

Yes but I have no idea how big that is either. Anybody else got a Minion 2.35 and a tape measure to get the width?

Also, still need more opinions on DHF vs DHR on the back. I know you all ride Maxxis so there must be some more opinions

cheshmatt
    Free Member

The DHF fine on the rear

Cheapskate that I am, I tend to buy one new DHf at a time and stick it on the front and use the old front on the rear until it's properly knackered.

+1 on both points
    Never actually tried a DHR, it seems quite a popular opinion that the DHF is preferable to the DHR. I tried, liked, and stayed with it. Use both 2.5 tackys and 2.35 60A depending on riding.
    I swap it out for a High Roller in drier conditions

juan
    Free Member

Minion front on the rear, turn it the other way around. Be careful you'll reach Hi-speed very fast.

GW
    Free Member

I often run a 2.35 DHF on the rear of my DH bike and it's fine at Ft william and Dunkeld (possibly the UKs roughest/rockiest DH race tracks), What are you riding that you're worried it won't be wide enough?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I often run a 2.35 DHF on the rear of my DH bike and it's fine at Ft william and Dunkeld (possibly the UKs roughest/rockiest DH race tracks), What are you riding that you're worried it won't be wide enough?

Just found that the volume of the Rampage allows me to run lower pressures than on my Cinder 2.25 so helps my incompetence on big rocky descents.

Was really wondering whether the DHR would give me that much more grip than the DHF on wet technical climbs

GW
    Free Member

on dry climbs it could, but on wet climbs it will clog easier and clear slower.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK, thanks GW.

Amazed that there has not been more input as it seems like 75% of STWers ride Maxxis

juan
    Free Member

CM but then that would imply 75% of the people on here are dher, or know what they are talking about ;).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Not knowing what they are talking about does not stop people on here expressing an opinion 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Friday tyre question – opinions on DHF vs DHR on the rear’ is closed to new replies.