Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 310 total)
  • Friday is Cotic day…
  • NormalMan

Here is one from my recent ride. More Solaris love 8)

Euro
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member

I like the idea of a RocketMax. How do you owners think it would stand up as my new Alps bike?

Not sure what the difference between an Alps bike a a regular bike is but the Max is a monster. Fast, fun and a joy to ride. Only issue might be the brakes. Nothing wrong with them but i was a little surprised to see 180 rotors fitted to my XL.

dahedd
    Free Member

Metal heart, love the Solaris Max you have over the page. How’d you find the Moray Way as a ride? Living in Forres I’ve done the Dava section a good many times but I’ve heard other bits are blocked with gates & detours?
    How long did it take you?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Mk1 Solaris, having its last ride this afternoon before a Vassago Verhauen arrives on Monday.
    It’s been a great bike and I’ll miss it, many adventures, races and miles have been had.
    solaris ss

metalheart
    Free Member

@dahedd: if you insist on doing the Speyside Way the whole way it’s a real PITA. There are gates galore on the section after Cromdale. I thought I’d written it up but I don’t seem to have. ScotRoutes was routemaster on the trip and he wrote it up here: http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2017/03/moray-way-no-way.html

Myself and SR were pisstaking about it being a mini HT550 but it did turn into a mini-epic (well, for me anyways). The first day was 15 hours long (I had to walk a fair bit after Fochabers due to cramps) and arriving in Lossie at 10.15 looking for food with a early am pitch at Covesea. Character building (type 2) stuff!

So, in summary, if you cut out the walking section you’ll save a good couple of hours and not be missing anything other than a trudge (the many gated section is all walking). But then of course you’ll be cheating…. 😀

NormalMan

Anyone have a Cotic arrive today?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I had one of the Restrap X Cotic frame bags through the post. But that’s bit of an anticlimax compared to a new frame…

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m waiting for a set of Boost 29er wheels for my SolarisMAX (but not from Cotic)… does that count? 😆

NormalMan

The closest I got was wearing a Cotic t-shirt today so you guys beat me 😉

Alex

I’m waiting for a set of Boost 29er wheels for my SolarisMAX

.. What did you order?

With all the rain we’ve been having, I fitted my cheap superstar set to the SolarisMax this week. Grip on that Magic Mary is amazing but those wheels are pretty dead and heavy.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/X219MJ]Cotic SolarisMax on 29s[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

So today I bought some American Classics (had them before) wide lightening Boost wheels at a bit of a bargain price. They have cheated a bit by extending the hubs rather than building proper boost hubs but I do like these wheels and they were keenly priced. Currently fitted to the Solaris-Max (which is getting a 130mm fork next week and the 120mm will be going on the Solaris) but just a cassette swap between the two

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XxXwgS]Cotic FlareMax on 29s[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Felt nice on the farm track run. 20PSI was a bit roll-y, 23 felt good. Certainly accelerate way quicker than the plus tyres.

NormalMan

I love the black and orange. Stunning.

dahedd
    Free Member

Cheers Metalheart. I’ve heard similar things from others who have ridden the whole thing.

Really do love the black & blue combo. You got it with the 650b+ wheels? Tempted to get a set of 29ers for it too ?

metalheart
    Free Member

@Alex:

What did you order?

XM481’s (32) on Pro4’s. due Monday 🙂 will be shod with Ardent 2.25’s for starters as I have an inclination to do the outer Hebrides in September. Got an HR2 for the front for winter…

@dahedd: see above 😉

Alex

I looked at something like that, but I’ve fallen out of love with Hope hubs. Don’t know why I seem to have about 8 of them! Should fly with the Ardents on it. I’ve a coupe in the tyre store so if it dries up again I’ll give them a go.

Also had a look at the new 2.6 tyres from Schwalbe. I can see those being good for everything but total slop on the 27.5 wheels. I’m sure it never used to be this confusing!

falkirk-mark

Liking the Cotics if I work out how to send pics I will put mine up

metalheart
    Free Member

@Alex: I went Hope as other wheels are Hoops. Hoping swapping will be just that (and not need calipers adjusting…).

Aye, bloody tyre sizes. I remember when it was either 1.95’s or 2.1’s…. 😆

ETA: Cotic Saturday – a whirl around the woods at Boat (with ScotRoutes) on the mk1 green 29er

NormalMan

Any pics?

I have a soft spot for green mk1 Solaris’ (Solarii?)

martinhutch

My lass just got herself a revamped Soul to trundle around on. Not the cheapest powdercoat ever, but I like it.

Advice on improving the woodpile obviously appreciated. 🙂

karnali
    Free Member

Martin hutch, that has to be the soul I saw on Monday on back of car at whinlatter, as I was putting mine back on my car!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Wanting a large MK2 Solaris here.. worth a shot

martinhutch

Martin hutch, that has to be the soul I saw on Monday on back of car at whinlatter, as I was putting mine back on my car!

It is!

She got a lap of the blue in with me before I was sent to the garage to sort out the gears I clearly hadn’t sorted out properly before…

chakaping
    Free Member

Finally got my B-plus wheels up and running on my Solaris. Relieved to find it’s really good, as it’s been a lot of hassle and expense…

ads678

I’m thinking of a set of b+ wheels for my sloaris, does anyone know if X-Fusion Trace 29er forks can take b+ wheels/tyres?

Alex

Wouldn’t have thought so. I had Trace’s on my Pyga and with a 2.35 tyre on a decent sized rim, there wasn’t a heap of room if I remember right. I have the MqQueen on man Solaris Max and obviously that’s fine. Not that helpful tho!

Can you find a tyre/wheel to try?

Prefer – by miles – the chubby’s than the 29s. That’ll change when it gets soggy tho.

riklegge

Martinhutch that powdercoat looks great- where was it done?

greyspoke
    Free Member

Any owners with the McQueen forks – what size of 29″ tyre will fit?

Mowgli
    Free Member

New (to me) bike day!
    Need to fettle the seatpost a bit and figure out how to remove the rear wheel (not had 142/12 before).

martinhutch

Martinhutch that powdercoat looks great- where was it done?

Triple S in Bingley, West Yorks.

Like I say, definitely not the cheapest option, at least not in that particular colour.

Alex

Any owners with the McQueen forks – what size of 29″ tyre will fit?

pretty much anything you can buy! I’ve a Magic Mary 2.35 on a wide lightening American Classic Rim and there’s still lots of room in there.

Alex

And here’s my SolarisMax being ridden on our local trails https://youtu.be/qm850MibX24

I’d like to apologise in advance for:

1) dodgy music choice
    2) Pointless iMovie effects
    3) Random lighting (it was getting very dark and I had to tweak it in the edit)
    4) the cables being in the way. Although you can see the chubby tyre!

It was only my second attempt with my new Garmin Virb. Which BTW is blooming fantastic. Even with you-tube rate butchery and low light, I reckon that looks okay for an un-stabilised image off a bar mounted cam. It is 100 FPS tho.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Thanks Alex that’s useful to know. I am thinking of one of them forks, but dithering between a Solaris Max and a Genesis Tarn frame.

Alex

Not ridden the Tarn and it looks a nice frame. I’d recommend the Solaris Max tho. I had the original Solaris and though it was a fun bike, this version is significantly more fun again. I’ve been chucking it off all sorts with a 120mm fork and 12 PSI in the tyres and it’s been absolutely fine. The grip (in the dry) is bonkers. Really involving to ride as well in a way my Trek Stache isn’t.

I lent it to a mate who had only ridden FS for years. His current bike is a Capra. He absolutely loved it – after some initial concerns abut lack of tyre pressure etc – and was flying on it. Main thing tho was he couldn’t stop laughing after every descent.

That’s why you should buy a Solaris. Hopefully cy will be along with my cheque later 😉

jimplops

I’m thinking of a set of b+ wheels for my sloaris, does anyone know if X-Fusion Trace 29er forks can take b+ wheels/tyres?

Yep, running 2.8 nn in mine on the codeine

Alex

That’s interesting. How much clearance is there? I know you can get a 2.8 in a non boost pike but was sure my x-fusion’s were narrower than those. I stand corrected!

jimplops

Some but not massive lol, be better with McQueen which I may change to in the future.

ton

quick question for anyone who has run their solaris max in both 29” and 27.5 set ups.
    much difference? if any.
    I want some new wider wheels for mine, was going to buy 29” but I suppose having both options would be good.

Alex

I’ve run mine 27.5+ mostly. Tried it on 29s and didn’t like it as much. But I’m used to plus tyres, it was horrible weather (hence running 29s with useful mud tyres), and the wheels are cheap and a bit lardy. It just didn’t feel as nice/interesting/involving to ride.

I want to try it with the American Classic Boost wheels off my FlareMax sometime. THey’d definitely be better/lighter/more compliant but I reckon I’ll still prefer it on the plus wheels.

Definitely noticeable difference. Which one you prefer tho is going to be a personal thing…

ads678

Cheers Jimplops.

Next question, what width rims??

metalheart
    Free Member

quick question for anyone who has run their solaris max in both 29” and 27.5 set ups.
    much difference? if any.
    I want some new wider wheels for mine, was going to buy 29” but I suppose having both options would be good.

er… I will advise once I finally get out on the new 29er wheels.

I’ll leave this for the moment as a teaser though…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xzom5t]B+9er ;-)[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

chakaping
    Free Member

Next question, what width rims??

I agonised over this and went with 35mm, which I would recommend.

My fork is a Pike though.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 310 total)

The topic ‘Friday is Cotic day…’ is closed to new replies.