Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Friday cake ideas
  • z1ppy

As we have a new kitchen & decent oven I’ve started baking again, used to cook cakes with my mum as a kid & cakes from the shops are pap (also making lots of soups too – mmmmmmMM soup can be good).
    Lot so carrot cake, cherry cake, lemon drizzle and stuff all round, much to my g/f waist’s disgust.

So looking for something to take with me to the trail centre tomorrow, any suggestions that aren’t flap jacks? Doesn’t need to be healthy, as the cycling paying for it.

Why no flap jack? Cause I’ve tried 10 times and still failed to make one that holds together (even recipes off here), they just turn into lovely sticky granola like stuff.

Keef
    Free Member

rich fruit cake.no question.

domino

Nigellas chocolate guiness cake – I made it the other weekend and it was chocolatey and gooey.

muff
    Free Member

Frangepans are quite good fun and easy. And well tasty with a blob of creme fresh..

z1ppy

Nigella is a good call, but I don’t like guiness, check out cougar’s condiment thread..

domino

It doesnt taste of Guiness at all – I’m not a fan of it either, but its what makes the cake gooey.

chomp
    Free Member

Fave of mine is a nice big loaf tin, basic sponge mix, add about 3 mashed bananas and whatever berries are cheap at the supermarket\farmshop etc (Strawberrys, blueberries, cherries, raspberries etc).

Let it cook for about 10 mins before adding the chopped fruit by prodding it into the mixture, I prefer this method to stop it all sinking to the bottom (the flouring of fruit never works for me).

You end up with a nice moist fruity loaf. I usually bake about 3 or 4 of these a week in the summer with the kids and the spoils from our weekend scrumping 🙂

z1ppy

chomp, I should have added Nigella’s Banana & cherry loaf to my ‘done to death’ list.
    I buy too may banana’s on purpose now, so I have some to make a loaf out of, it is a good call though.
    Oh is that what flouring the fruit is about, g/f was complaining about the last cherry loaf having all the fruit at the bottom, so no it doesn’t work.
    Domino, you got me tempted, original guiness or draught (from a can) though?

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheese and crispy bacon cake. thread closed.

z1ppy

😯 Phil you better be able to back that up with a recipe..

domino

I used a bottle – as I spotted it amongst the nicer beers available in Booths.

hp_source

Made these earlier in the week, very tasty, especially when still warm.
    Choc Brownie Cookies

philconsequence
    Free Member

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/138543/Cheese-and-bacon-muffins

i’ve enjoyed many many cheese and bacon muffins in my time like the above, change the size of the tin your cooking in and you’ve got a cake!

nomnomnom!

petestuart
    Free Member

I’m attempting Welsh Cakes today. A little late to be topical but I love them.

On the flapjack front try these, the tahini turns syrup a fudgy consistency. No crumbly granola effect. Very tasty. I sometimes leave the sesame seeds out as the taste is quite strong.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/24/halva-flapjacks-recipe-dan-lepard

Keva
    Free Member

Police plea after Cardiff fairy cake shop attack >

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12620980

made me laugh this morning when I heard it on the radio

Kev

stumpy01

Banana & walnut loaf always goes down a treat. Don’t ask for a recipe as the other half always make it, but it’s one of my faves.

z1ppy

it’s sad I know, but I eye’d up the muffin baking tin when I last went shopping (g/f made some without one & it was a disastor – 20 paper cups to try and keep them upright), but decided I was getting silly.
    Bugger will have to get one for Pete’s recipe and the dougnut muffin recipe my g/f pointed out

PeteS, I will bear it in mind 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Friday cake ideas’ is closed to new replies.