Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Frewheel/ Cassette removal… without a tool?
  • crashbanggg
    Free Member

I’m trying to replace my cassette freewheel on my old road bike… however dont have the required tool which I assume is this? Due to me not wanting to use this type of freewheel again/ buy the tool (Stingy skint student type), are there any ‘ghetto’ methods of removal?

Looks like this:

cookeaa

Time for some caveman engineering

Taff
    Free Member

You need the tool really. If you were local I’d do it for you. You said you weren’t going to use that type again… what were you planning on using instead?

nickjb
    Free Member

No Ghetto solution AIUI. Buy or borrow the tool. Just to echo Taff, what are you replacing it with? Even if you go SS you still use the lock ring.

crashbanggg
    Free Member

what were you planning on using instead?

A regular single speed freewheel (Supposedly)

Edit:

Im using this guide which seems nice and simple and crossing my fingers in the hope it works 🙄 Which doesn’t show the lock ring being used again.. or am I being thick (most likely)?

Taff
    Free Member

There’s no lockring. That cassette simply screws on and is an all in one thing. You can do as per that guide but you need a screw on freewheel.

arcoolc
    Free Member

If it’s the same as in that picture, you need to unscrew the block by hitting a drift in the small holes at 10 and 4 o’clock (in the picture)

As already stated it’s an all-in-one freewheel rather than a cassette.

nickjb
    Free Member

Oops didn’t notice it was a screw on free-wheel (not a cassette as stated). They tend to weld themselves on so you definitely need the tool, and a vice, and a big hammer, and plenty of skin on your knuckles…or take it to a bike shop and ask really nicely.

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Looks as if im going to have to give in and part with some money, thanks for the help 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hammer and punch should take it off so long as you don’t want to reuse it

Edit – that will only take the thing apart not remove the centre from the hub???????

crashbanggg
    Free Member

that will only take the thing apart not remove the centre from the hub???????

Hence why I need the tool…right?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think so 😳 LOng time since I did one of them

PaulD
    Free Member

The freewheel looks as if it needs the same splined tool as a cassette model.
    So, just buy the cassette removal tool (without the locating dowel) which you will need in future.
    Fit the tool, secure it in place with a QR and put the tool in the vice.
    Turn the wheel anti-clockwise as you look down on the wheel with the tool in the vice underneath (tyre on helps grip) and it will come off on your hand!

Fit new one by hand and refit wheel. Chain will tighten it accordingly.

Do not be tempted to remove the cover plate by ‘unwinding’ the two holes. You will have bits everywhere and will still have to get the body off the wheel as described above.

PaulD

hounslow
    Free Member

Freewheel tools and cassette tools are different, FW tool looks like a longer version of cass. tool but the splines are different.
    I reckon if you went to a half decent shop and bought the replacement freewheel at the same time they would remove it for free, as it isn’t a difficult or time consuming job.

PaulD
    Free Member

I have an original (1989) Shimano cassette removal tool and it definitely removes the cluster the OP has in the picture, so unless it is a very old non-shimano pattern cluster, the tool linked looks good to me.

PaulD

Keef
    Free Member

if you don’t ever want to use the freewheel again,remove the lock ring with a hammer and punch (usually a LH thread) lift off the cassette part,then grip the reamaining part in a vice,and turn the wheel clock wise,as again it’s a LH thread.it will come off.
    when fitting the new one,apply a smear of grease to the thread.

aracer
    Free Member

I have an original (1989) Shimano cassette removal tool and it definitely removes the cluster the OP has in the picture, so unless it is a very old non-shimano pattern cluster, the tool linked looks good to me.

Well the original Shimano cassette removal tool was a chain whip 😉 The tool linked is a freewheel removal tool, not a cassette removal tool.

charliedontsurf

Screw on blocks can be a sod to get off. I keep a three foot long lever, and stick my 16 stone on the end, and then bounce up and down. And the freewheel stays put as the wheel collapses.

Why do you want to get it off???

If its for a single speed conversion you will find a bmx freewheel will fit, but your chain line will be dreadful.. Might be time for a new wheel.

BigJohn

I have experimented in the past wit 2 masonry nails and my nice big vice.

I don’t remember the exact sequence of events, but I have still got 10 fingers and there is now a fixed sprocket where the block used to be.

Edric64
    Free Member

That is a screw on block get the tool put the tool in the vice put the wheel on the tool and use the rim for leverage to unscrew it .Or if that fails put the tool on the wheel hold it in place with a skewer and use the spanner inside a piece of scaffold tube

PaulD
    Free Member

I bought the TL-FW30 tool in 1989 and it is defo not a chainwhip!

It also removes these clusters…I have several in stock.

Keef, screw-on clusters are NOT a left hand thread, or they would not stay in place.

PaulD

Burls72
    Free Member

I bought the tool from ebay for £1.85, surely you can afford that!

Edit: Sorry it was £2.68

crashbanggg
    Free Member

^That’s the tool I went for in the end. I know they’re pretty cheap, but it was also a case of wanting to get it all sorted this weekend rather than waiting for delivery. As for single speed conversion, I have a spare Trials/ BMX freewheel so rather than having it gathering dust, I’m try to put it to good use/ experiment a bit

aracer
    Free Member

I bought the TL-FW30 tool in 1989 and it is defo not a chainwhip!

Which is a freewheel removal tool. I’m guessing you don’t remember the original pre-hyperglide Shimano cassettes – you wouldn’t have got a 1989 cassette off with one of those.

soobalias
    Free Member

this has to rate as the worst advice thread on STW ever.

far more incorrect information than correct, is that down to being desperate to post something so not reading the OP or looking at the picture?

that is removeable by destruction, however its not quick n easy. if you dont have the right tool, i suspect you dont have particularly suitable tools for destruction either.

find an lbs or friendly local bike mechanic – or accept this is a job for another day, read up on the parts you are dealing with via sheldonbrown.

edit: at this time on a sunday, halfords might be worth a call, likely to have the tool and will remove that for a pack of biscuits.

aracer
    Free Member

this has to rate as the worst advice thread on STW ever.

Are you reading the same thread as me? The one where most people are recommending getting the correct tool or taking it to the LBS, with only one suggestion for destruction – oh and I’m fairly sure I could take one off by destruction, despite not having the correct remover tool (destruction just requiring generic tools and a vice).

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Right… after buying the tool (5 Posts up eBay link)it doesn’t fit. So which tool do I need?

Clearer picture of the freewheel:

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Looks like it might be the same as a shimano cassette tool.. a bit unusual!

Having said that, have you tried persuading the tool in with a bit of hammer?

lovewookie

Looks to me like you need an old cassette removal tool. The new ones have around 5mm long splines, the older ones have more like 15mm splines.

yes it is a freewheel, but the freewheels you get now require a longer tool with shallower splines.(like you pictured).

The old hyperglide cassette removal tool will have enough splinage (like that?) to take that off.

umm, good luck.

you may find a HG tool that is deep enough, or you’ll be better off giving it to a shop to remove. If you feed them beer at christmas they’ll do it for nothing 😉

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Having said that, have you tried persuading the tool in with a bit of hammer?

It’s miles to big to fit anywhere near. The tool sits in the space for the lockring.

Look’s as if a trek to a bike shop is needed! So much for a quick half day job…

rusty90
    Free Member

Shimano freewheel remover

Clamp in vice and turn wheel as suggested

mrchrist

Think I have the tool for that. Email me (in profile) your postal address and I will send you the tool with the return address:)

soobalias
    Free Member

aracer – Member

this has to rate as the worst advice thread on STW ever!

Are you reading the same thread as me?

yup, the one where there is advice for removing cassettes, a bit about chain whips, someone suggesting it will come off with a hammer and punch, someone not sure if its LH threaded and an ebay link to a tool that isnt the right one.
    at no point does it sound to me like the OP has any tools or a vice or much mechanical know how.

if the OP is in south bucks, email me, else go see a professional or buy a new wheel

Edric64
    Free Member

ITS A FREEWHEEL YOU NEED THE RIGHT TOOL NOT A CASSETTE TOOL AND CHAINWHIP FFS

crashbanggg
    Free Member

mrchrist – Member
    Think I have the tool for that. Email me (in profile) your postal address and I will send you the tool with the return address:)

YGM!

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Try your LBS a good one will remove it for nothing – I would not bother charging someone for that, it far too simple.

Burls72
    Free Member

What happened? The link I posted was for a ‘screw on freewheel removal tool’ (the old type with longer splines and slightly smaller diameter) which from the picture your cassette looks like? Was it a third different type or did you get sent the new cassette removal tool by mistake? My apologies if I got something wrong.

takisawa2

Hammer & punch, unscrew the cap. Pull off block. Lots of bearings, a couple of pawls & springs will fall onto the floor.
    Get large plumbers wrench, open up & adjust to snug fit on back (widest) part of the body. Needs to be facing in the direction that will tighten the teeth.
    Grip wheel & heave ho.

mrchrist

Hi – Finally found my cassette tool. Re-reading this thread, i can confirm that it is not the tool you need. Can still send it though:)

crashbanggg
    Free Member

Hi – Finally found my cassette tool. Re-reading this thread, i can confirm that it is not the tool you need. Can still send it though:)

No worries, there’s not much point in sending it if it won’t fit 🙂

Development: Out of curiosity, I’ve just tried the tool on my MTB cassette, lo and behold it fits that. Does this mean they’ve sent me the wrong tool?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Frewheel/ Cassette removal… without a tool?’ is closed to new replies.