Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Fresh Goods Friday 624: Gold Leaf Edition
  • Ben_Haworth

Eee… I don’t know about you but there seems to be an inordinate amount of leaves on my lines all of a sudden.

By ben_haworth

Get the full story on our front page at:

Fresh Goods Friday 624: Gold Leaf Edition

We need your support – Find out how you can help by clicking the link below.

P20

That Atherton looks fantastic

nickc

White MTB shoes last week, this week; autumn/winter shoes made with a suede a-like material.

Do the folks who design this kit know what we actually do, I wonder?

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Request for a run of men’s ‘I heart Singletrack’ tie-dye tees please.

Beagleboy

I’d like a tye dyed t-shirt as well, in…XXL, because I like the baggy boho look, not because I’m a chubster…honest.

chrismac

14kg for a 130mm trail bike sounds weighty to me. I would expect 13kg for the price they are asking for. I suspect the weight is because the tube and lugs are the same spec as the DH one so massively  overbuilt for a trailbike

Northwind

That Pivot looks awesome and deserves exactly 1 star for being ****ing ridiculous Superboost. I hope literally nobody buys one.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

chrismac
    14kg for a 130mm trail bike sounds weighty to me.

Didn’t you make precisely the same comment on this when the first article came up?

rOcKeTdOg

I can confirm the fizik boots waterproof claims

kayak23

I do like the Athertons and their new bicycle . I will never own one however for I am but a humble carpenter.

Each one is very unique.. .

Well,… Oh never mind. Its Friday. A day of rest for pendants. 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Each one is very unique.. .

Well,… Oh never mind. Its Friday. A day of rest for pendants. 🙂

Well it sounds better than “very inconsistent” at least

chrismac

chrismac
    14kg for a 130mm trail bike sounds weighty to me.

Didn’t you make precisely the same comment on this when the first article came up?

Probably, but thats because the article is trying to hide and excuse how heavy it it rather than asking a journalist type question as to why Athertons think making trail bikes that heavy is a good idea.

LAT

That Pivot looks awesome and deserves exactly 1 star for being ****ing ridiculous Superboost. I hope literally nobody buys one.

steady on! can’t you remember how boost revolutionized the mountain bike? superboost does everything boost does and more!

ta11pau1

Weight really isn’t an issue, unless it’s heavy rims/tyres where losing rotational weight makes a difference.

It’s a burly 130mm trail bike certified for downhill and bikepark use for Pete’s sake. Lose 1kg of your own bodyweight and you’ve negated most of the effects of the 1kg heavier bike on the climbs.

Northwind

kayak23

A day of rest for pendants.

LAT

Probably, but thats because the article is trying to hide and excuse how heavy it it rather than asking a journalist type question as to why Athertons think making trail bikes that heavy is a good idea.

do you follow paul aston (aston mtb)? he does reviews on bikes and kit that he used his own money to purchase. he seems to break most (a lot of?) things he gets his hands on. this bike may be strong built strong enough to survive the serious use it is designed to cope with.

just a thought

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

rather than asking a journalist type question as to why Athertons think making trail bikes that heavy is a good idea.

Since you obviously disagree, why is it a bad idea?

(I’m going to put words in their mouths at this point and suggest the answer they’d give is broadly along the lines of “not being bothered about building a light bike lets us build a good one, and frankly 12kg vs 14kg only matters on paper, you can’t tell if the bike is built properly”. Second assumption on someone else’s behalf is you wouldn’t find that helpful and you’d still disagree so asking the question was fairly pointless)

rickon
    Free Member

<scrolls down page>
    <More scrolling>
    ‘Oooh, under £8k for Shimano SLX build that’s a bargain’.

<Checks self>
    ‘What have I become?!!!!!’

desperatebicycle

I did! but I didn’t say that its a great looking bike. I am now.
    Can’t help but wonder *why* weight doesn’t matter any more. It used to! Is everyone stronger than they were 10 years ago? Anyway, who cares. I weighed my hardtail and found it to be 29lbs! I’m sure thats heavier than my fullsus. La-di-da

didnthurt

Enjoyed the video on Brian Robinson. RIP indeed.

didnthurt

I like the look of that Pivot, but the price is out of my league 😭

Is it just me that thinks their logo looks like the rebels one out of Star Wars?

ta11pau1

Can’t help but wonder *why* weight doesn’t matter any more. It used to! Is everyone stronger that they were 10 years ago? Anyway, who cares. I weighed my hardtail and found it to be 29lbs! Ikm sure thats heavier than my fullsus. La-di-da

Bikes have gotten more capable, most people are riding far gnarlier stuff than 10 years ago, and the science has been proven that adding 1% weight to the total system weight (your, your kit & your bike) – ie 1kg on a 100kg – makes a very little difference on a long climb. GCM did a test with roadies, on a 1 hour climb it made 1 minutes difference. But going down, weight is good for stability, suspension performance, tyre durability etc.

Unless you’re lifting the bike into your back, 1kg on you Vs 1kg on the bike is exactly the same.

roger_mellie

sphincter

Steady now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Can’t help but wonder *why* weight doesn’t matter any more. It used to!

Thing is weight as a number doesn’t tell you why it’s heavy, where the weight is, how a bike will ride or if its any good, it doesn’t actually tell you anything more than the colour or the does.

tthew

Can’t help but wonder *why* weight doesn’t matter any more. It used to!

I think it’s more simple than the explanations above. Back in the day MTBers still had the roadie mindset of ultra lightweight=fast and by extension head down and arse up aero position also good for speed. There’s more separation of mainly road riders and MTB riders these days, but when I see one jump across from to try mountain biking in my trad cycling club, the bike they choose is almost always a XC weapon, because that’s what they perceive as fast.

jimmy748

My 150mm Hardtail weighs 14Kgs, weight has never mattered unless your in marketing.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

Stop letting bike manufacturers know you’re not bothered about weight, we’ll all have to put up with 10lb frames if you think 9lb is perfectly acceptable, with 38mm forks and newer tyres adding around 300g each, pulling manuals and bunny hops is going give me hernia.

funkmasterp

Oh wow! Thanks for the thread of the week award. Still no iPad and I’m considering removing the plaster from the walls like in an episode of Narcos Mexico!

asbrooks

7K plus for a bike when all you see in the media is that some people have to choose between eating or heating…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

7K plus for a bike when all you see in the media is that some people have to choose between eating or heating…

Well it is a bike mag, and the reason people are having to choose is because [almost every] things are getting significantly more expensive.

If bikes were still £300 for a top of the line bike today but fuel and food cost the same as they do, people would still be having to choose between food and heating, except maybe the people involved in making and selling the bike who wouldn’t be able to afford either.

Expensive bikes aren’t the problem, crap salaries are.

tomhoward

My 150mm Hardtail weighs 14Kgs

Same, worse value than the Atherton too. 🤷

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.