Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fresh bike Friday
  • kayak23

As we all know, bikes are like golf clubs. You can hit the ball with any of them, but if you’re in the rough, you don’t reach for the putter….or something like that.

This ‘club’ will fit in nicely between my ‘hardcore hardtail’ and my 5″ fatbike I think.

It was an eBay bargain and temptation got the better of me. It’s absolutely mint condition so I’m well pleased.

Anyone else got a Pine Martin?

I think this’ll make a great winter local xc machine and maybe I’ll get around to slinging a bivi bag on it some day. 😃

bikerevivesheffield

LOVE that

33tango

Nice – I’d buy one if it was a 29erer.

kimbers

That’s is rather nice, needs a dropper tho

sandwicheater

Garden looks a proper state but that Marin is Noice!

kayak23

Nice – I’d buy one if it was a 29erer.

It kinda is no? 27.5+ innit. 😁

That’s is rather nice, needs a dropper tho

Definitely! It’s at the top of the list. I think I’ll probably have to go Brand-X as it’s a 27.2mm post.

Garden looks a proper state

I know, my woodland path takes up so much of my time but it’s hard to keep up with.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice colour frame

damascus
    Free Member

@kayak23 that looks nice. How much does it weigh?

kayak23

Not sure just yet. Doesn’t say on the Marin website. It feels….sturdy though. I think it’s about 32lbs or so. Could get it lighter I’m sure, but It feels good riding and isn’t really that sort of bike.

big_scot_nanny

That perfectly encapsulates the image of ‘a fun bike’ – looks awesome!

drewd

I’ve got the 2017 Marin Pine Mountain 1, same frame in a different colour, but with a 120mm Recon fork instead of rigid.

It’s my only mountain bike and it is heavy, but it’s fun to ride. I’ve changed the tyres to Vittoria Bomboloni, but I might fit something more suitable for the wet conditions. I’ve also fitted a dropper.

This years model has got longer and slacker, and moved to 29 X 2.6. I’m sure they’re better, but the 27.5 versions can be had for next to nothing.

avdave2

I’ve got the Pinnacle Ramin 3+ which is very similar and I love it, perfect for where I live on the South Downs

kayak23

Cool. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. I’m always impressed at the speed and roughness my rigid fatbike can handle on a descent, so am interested to see how this compares. Better check me fillings! 😁

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Very cool! I love the juxtaposition of classic racing green with in your face neon green. or something like that. Enjoy!

honeybadgerx

Just started building up a Sonder Frontier in 27.5+ for my other half, looking great so hope she likes it!

kayak23

@kayak23 that looks nice. How much does it weigh?

Put it on my scales which are old, and probably not to be totally relied upon but anyway…

33lbs as it is, so not light.

I just set it up tubeless and it’s now saying 31.5lbs.

I’m ok with that.

ta11pau1

Nice! I have the occasional flirt with the idea of a super cheap rigid 27.5+/29+ bike.

superstu
    Free Member

Really nice (not sure on the neon green though).

simonalex99

I have one, had for 18 months. Currently setup with 2.6 schwalbe super moto x tyres and front rack. But oh so much fun when panniers are off. it is really good for bikepacking or panniers front and rear. Been on a few long rides, 200 miles last year in 28 hour

nickc

skinny tubes and fat tyres always look good.

kayak23

Really nice (not sure on the neon green though).

Neither was I but it’s as it came! Mind you, they seem like decent pedals so I might keep them.

it is really good for bikepacking or panniers front and rear. Been on a few long rides, 200 miles last year in 28 hour

Brilliant. Defo on my to do list. I’ve got a tiny little bivi tent I used to use for the odd multi day kayak trip abroad so it would be rude not to. 😃

matt_outandabout

Noice. 👌

Welcome to the Marin club.

lister

I look after a fleet of 10 of the (new) original orange and grey ones.

Everyone who rides them really enjoys them. Yes they’re heavy but they ride so well.
    Tyre pressure is the key; there seems to be huge difference in feel for a few psi each way. Too soft and they wallow and bob, slightly too hard and they feel very rigid indeed.

I’ve fitted the one I ride at work with an old thudbuster as I have a dodgy back and I prefer the bike to have slightly firmer tyres.

When work sells them off I’ll definitely buy one.

kayak23

Well I rode it properly for the first time today and got it muddy, very muddy.

I must say I noticed the slacker seat angle compared to my other bikes. It felt a little like a recumbent. I shifted the saddle forwards a little which helped but I need to do more tweaking.

Really missed not having a dropper on the descents. Apart from that it felt great. Quietest bike I’ve ever ridden that’s for sure. Feels smooth for a rigid.

I think you’re right with tyre pressures. I could only set them up with a finger squidge today but could do with trying a pressure gauge and experimenting.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fresh bike Friday’ is closed to new replies.